Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 16, 2014 at 06:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kevin Colbert presser  (Read 736 times)
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Mar 26, 2012 at 21:56 »

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Kevin-Colbert-at-the-NFL-Meetings/f9082b6c-768a-4e2e-94d5-058e4eb49784

Make what you want of the interview, but to me, this was the interesting part:

Are you feeling any better about re-signing Mike Wallace after seeing all of the signings?
I don't know. Restricted free agency can go up to the week before the draft. That's always going to be there until that time. I couldn’t tell you what could happen around the league. It really doesn’t concern us, because again, ultimately it's our decision.

Would you have enough money to match?
Yeah, ultimately it's our call. That's the way you have to leave it because you don't know about the specifics. The one thing we do know is we will make the decision above anyone else.

My translation of that is, "Dear Dolphins, Panthers or Seawhacks...  please make him an offer."

A shabby Charlie Brown.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #1 on: Mar 27, 2012 at 08:20 »

That's how it sounds to me, too.  Everyone knows they won't pay Megatron money.  But since he's not had an offer at this point I don't see that changing soon, it'll probably stay quiet until right before the draft.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Mar 27, 2012 at 09:02 »

On Jason Worilds or Chris Carter playing inside:I would think they could. They are both young players. We know more about Jason Worilds because he had to play more last year when (James) Harrison and (LaMarr) Woodley were hurt. He's never played inside, nor has Chris Carter. We know the least about Chris Carter because he was a fifth-round draft pick and we didn’t have any OTAs to work with him. He was injured for a good part of the season. He is an unknown. I would think either of them playing inside is it a possibility, yes. But is it something we've talked about at this point, no.

I've been thinking about Carter to ILB a lot lately; his measurables compare very favorably to this class of ILBs, and he's only 22.  Could be a real nice surprise.

On Willie Colon possibly playing guard:
That's a question for Coach Tomlin. If we were to start the season today, Colon would line up as a tackle.

Not dismissing it out of hand...

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Mar 27, 2012 at 09:05 »

What is the most difficult part of scouting offensive linemen?The systems that the majority of the guys are coming out of now are not pro systems. You have to make a lot of judgments based on athleticism, intelligence and toughness rather than just pure execution of techniques similar to what they are going to be asked to do at our level. That's not just for offensive linemen. Receivers run different routes. Tight ends, if they have a tight end, or the running backs or quarterbacks aren't doing the same types of things. That's the world we live in when evaluating. We have to adapt to it.

Aside from Pouncey, WTF is he talking about WRT to athleticism?  Gilbert?  Colon?  The misc. rhinos?

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #4 on: Mar 27, 2012 at 09:33 »

This one was interesting.

Is this team at a crossroads?
The biggest thing we lost from the terminations we had was leadership. That wasn’t disregarded when we made these decisions, but we had to make them. Leadership is an intangible that you cannot predict. I don’t know who will emerge as our leaders. It will be interesting to see whose team this becomes, because James Farrior was the team leader, not just the defensive leader. He was the guy. We will see who steps up. To me it's wide open. It's something you can never predict because you don't know who is going to show up when it is required.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Mar 27, 2012 at 09:47 »

Are we expecting someone to step up from the existing D and assume that role?  Or does an ILB who can set the front 7 and exhibit some fire now take on added value in the draft process?

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #6 on: Mar 27, 2012 at 12:06 »

Good question.  Can Foote or Timmons fill that leadership role?  Foote seems to have the fire but do you want him in there on every down?  I'd say it's on Timmons to step up and fill that role.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Mar 27, 2012 at 12:10 »

Good question.  Can Foote or Timmons fill that leadership role?  Foote seems to have the fire but do you want him in there on every down?  I'd say it's on Timmons to step up and fill that role.

Foote's a short-timer, and we're looking for a long-term solution.  Would expect some leadership from one of the ILBs, they're in the position to set the D, but for some reason Timmons doesn't look to have it.  Must have understanding of the chess board, confidence, and ability to rally the troops.  Maybe the light goes on for Timmons, but leadership role doesn't seem to come naturally.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: