Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 02, 2014 at 02:52 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mike Tomlin presser  (Read 853 times)
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Mar 27, 2012 at 11:12 »

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/tomlin-decisions-to-replace-arians-hire-haley-were-his-628266/?p=0

• Three draft prospects, besides those from Pitt, have made official visits to the Steelers: Ohio State OT Mike Adams, Florida International WR T.Y. Hilton and Cincinnati DL Derek Wolfe.

Finny, whatcha got on those guys?

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Mar 27, 2012 at 12:08 »

Adams is getting lots of love from the draftniks, spoken of as a potential LT prospect, and according to Tony Pauline the Steelers fucking love him.  Looks like a lazy guy to me, not strong (9 WRs and 15 RBs at the combine lifted Adams's 19 reps, or more), not worth 1.24, even as desperate as we are for tackle talent.  He's moved to DND on my board.

Hilton is a 4.38 speed guy to look at R3-4 if and only if Wallace goes.  Productive, fast, undersized.

Wolfe is ~R4 guy on most boards, high KEI (72.5), would be a backup DE here.  Not sure that in R4 that's a great value, but if he drops, maybe.  With Smith gone, this is due diligence.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Mar 27, 2012 at 14:05 »

Don't know if it's me or it's just Eddy's writing style, but Tomlin sounds a little...chippy.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Mar 28, 2012 at 08:37 »

Hilton is also probably the best return man in the draft, so there's that.  I'm liking Hilton and Wolfe more the more I dig into them.  Wolfe's got a great motor, just a question of whether he'd be a situational guy or depth.  Hilton could be a nice slot receiver/KR.

Still think they only likely take Hilton IFF Wallace leaves, and are just doing due diligence on Wolfe, but now it wouldn't surprise me if we took Wolfe R4.

Also, the more I look at Mike Adams, the less I like, and the more I keep hearing that Tomlin and Colbert love the kid.  Don't get it.  Wexell is now convinced he's their boy.

give'emthaboot
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Mar 28, 2012 at 11:00 »

Also, the more I look at Mike Adams, the less I like, and the more I keep hearing that Tomlin and Colbert love the kid.  Don't get it.  Wexell is now convinced he's their boy.

They've always been pretty up front about who they are targeting in Round 1 (in the Revis case, it was to their detriment).  Maybe they are finally learning the art of the smoke screen?  That's the optimist in me.

I'll admit I get pretty much all my draft prospect info from this site so I'm far from well-versed, but if Adams is the dud you make him out to be I find it frustrating that they waited this long to address the OL that they almost HAVE to take a guy like Adams now since they are pretty much out of options.  We've all been harping for years that OL needs to be drafted early and often and outside of Pouncey and Gilbert they've only taken late round guys who haven't even sniffed the lineup.

'Oh, my, James Harrison is not going to the White House, he must be a devil worshiper!'
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #5 on: Mar 28, 2012 at 11:53 »

I really hope this is a smoke screen.  As much I want to have a great oline, I do not think this guy is the answer.

NFLDraftScout.com

Overview
At this point Adams lacks the great technique that would make him a reliable left tackle to protect a right-handed quarterback's blind side. Given time he certainly could learn.

Meantime, Adams already moves well enough to get into linebackers on the second level. He has a substantial frame with conspicuous muscle in the right places and the footwork of a dancer, albeit more like hip hop than ballet. On film he did well handling Wisconsin's J.J. Watt (drafted No. 11 overall by Texas last year), but was befuddled by the nifty moves of Purdue's Ryan Kerrigan (drafted No. 16 overall by Washington last year).

In his final two seasons as a starter, Adams had issues on and off the field. He underwent shoulder surgery and then a season-ending left foot injury, both in 2008. Adams missed five games in 2009 with knee injury and was suspended for two games the same year for violating team rules. He as one of five players suspended first five games last year for receiving benefits from selling collectibles through a tattoo parlor and had to pay back $1,000 he received for a ring.

Analysis
Pass blocking: Tall, long, athletic pass protector. Generally gets out of three-point stance with good knee bend and a wide base. Improving his ability to use his hands to redirect rushers and late blitzers away from the pocket. Power rushers lose most battles. Has an adequate anchor in close quarters, will reset hands and move feet to sustain. Stops his feet after initial contact, relying on length but allowing defender to get the corner or spin inside.

Run blocking: Solid positional run blocker who flashes the nasty demeanor and killer instinct scouts covet. Attacks when necessary, though he won't consistently dominate and can lose balance when overextending. Quick feet to get inside of defensive tackles to wall off inside and reach linebackers at the second level. Nice punch which he uses to knock down smaller defenders with one extension. Height can be a detriment in short-yardage, defender can get under his pads to hold the line. Flashes the ability to move his man with his hands, but is not yet consistent in this area.

Pulling/trapping: Best on the outside because of his height and athleticism, but is capable of blocking on the move. Effective in space and usually drops his hips to get leverage and sustain against shorter defenders.

Initial Quickness: Excellent quick-twitch movement off the snap in pass protection and as a run blocker. Finds defenders with his hands immediately and gets feet moving to engage and sustain. Can be beat off the edge coming out of his stance lunging to reach speedy wide rushers.

Downfield: Quick out of his stance with the footwork to be effective in front of screens. Willing to get out in front of ballcarriers to take out defensive backs and linebackers. Used at tight end on unbalanced lines.

Intangibles: Suspended the first two games of the 2009 season for violating team rules, cited in January 2009 for misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia (charges were eventually dropped) after being stopped for running a stop sign. One of five players suspended for first five games of 2011 season for receiving benefits from a tattoo parlor owner, selling championship rings, jerseys and awards; Adams was required to pay back $1,000 for the ring he sold.

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Mar 28, 2012 at 12:10 »

Highly ranked by most sites (4th OT by NFLDS, 2nd by National Football Post, 4th by Mayock), but noted inconsistency and struggles against top competition.  (Hint:  he'll be going up against top competition every fucking week in the bigs.)  Also, piss-poor measurables.  5.40 40 does not speak well of his chance to be a LT.  19 reps is weak sauce, shows lack of commitment to working out.  Shuttle & cone times ~ 5 worst among OTs at combine, so not agile.  Will miss first 5 games of 2012 NFL season over OSU flap, too, so there's that.  And the drug paraphernelia charges, though dropped, are a flag.  So:  poor judgment, lack of commitment, inconsistent effort, slow, weak, lead-footed.  Perfect.  Sign me the fuck up.

:jamainstephens: 

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Mar 28, 2012 at 14:44 »

Wonder if it's a moot point anyway as the 3 or 4 mocks I've seen in the last few days have Adams off the board @ 1.24.

Still expecting this pick to be Hightower.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: