Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Dec 18, 2014 at 11:22 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The REAL Mike Wallace is not going to sign  (Read 1414 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Apr 12, 2012 at 17:35 »

I know it's virtually impossible for the FO to do this, but the idea of signing Wallace for a draft-day trade entered my mind when I saw some of the unofficial times for Ga. Tech. WR Stephen Hill were... 4.28, same as Wallace.  He's a bit raw as a WR (but so was Wallace), but has great size, and follows Calvin Johnson and Demaryius Thomas from that program...

You don't want to trade too low, because Hill would likely be off sometime in the 1.20s, so how about the Bears at 1.19?  If they balk at sending a R1, as they would with a tender deal, then even it up by sending them a R3.  We wind up with Hill, 2 x R1s, Hill's cheaper rookie salary, a big, speedy target for Ben, no R3 picks. 

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Apr 12, 2012 at 18:19 »

I don't see the sense. Chances of him being as good as Wallace seem unlikely, and you have to burn a number one to get him? Assuming we can even get a number one, which I still think is a long shot...

I know that 1st round rookie contracts will now cost less against the cap compared to the past, but still doesn't seem a fair trade for us.

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Apr 12, 2012 at 19:26 »

In my scenario, we're getting a R1 pick (Hill) for a R3 price tag, and saving the cap space.  Hill has the speed and better size.  He's untested, so that's the downside.  Upside is, he could be a better overall receiver.  Check out his combine and pro day raves.  Not a bad final collegiate season.  Size and speed. 

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Apr 13, 2012 at 08:15 »

I'd really like to see Wallace play for a season with an O coordinator that ideally knows WTF is going on. 

He should bite the bullet, ramp up his numbers then whore himself out to the Redskins or Raiders.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
Y2Joyce
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Apr 14, 2012 at 16:09 »

Anyone sweating/reporting that Wallace is threatening to not sign the tender as a realistic conclusion don't understand how contracts work. He HAS to sign the tender. Or retire. How likely is that?
I understand these folks need to have a fresh page.. clicks...revenue.  etc. But cmon, Wallace will be a Steeler in 2012 unless the Steelers decide so.

Steelers 58-15 when I am in attendance.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Apr 16, 2012 at 23:49 »

What the hell does he need OTA's for?  It's not like you can forget how to run in a straight line.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Apr 17, 2012 at 11:19 »

What the hell does he need OTA's for?  It's not like you can forget how to run in a straight line.

Especially the 2012 version of them.

You see some of those requirements for the first two or three weeks?

*No footballs shall be permitted to be used (only "dead ball" activities);
*Except that quarterbacks may elect to throw to receivers provided they are not covered by any other player;
*No live contact or team offense vs. team defense drills are permitted;
*No offense vs. defense drills are permitted (e.g .., no one-on-one offensive linemen vs. defensive linemen pass rush or pass protection drills, no wide receivers vs. defensive backs bump-­and-run drills, and no one-on-one special teams drills involving both offense and defense are permitted.)
*Players cannot wear helmets.

Might as well just meet at somebody's house for a Madden Tournament, FFS...

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: