Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 01, 2014 at 04:50 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Everyone pony up 37 1/2 Cents  (Read 4516 times)
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Apr 24, 2012 at 20:56 »

Wait, wait.  I can't keep up with the math. 

According to my calculations, Finny owes $3.37.50 (to bet the pick 7), and AJ owes $1.87.50 to the ante.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #11 on: Apr 24, 2012 at 21:05 »

I'll go all in for a 7-round Steeler mock, both the "chalk" picks and my "against the grain" picks.  NFLDS rank in parens/NFLDS round.

Chalk

1. ILB Dont'a Hightower, Alabama.  Foote gets the starts until the week 4 bye, then Thumper comes in.  Comes out on passing downs against pass-heavy teams but for the most part is a 3-down backer who adds a physicality the ILBs have lacked.

2. RB Isaiah Pead, Cincinnati.  No secret the Steelers love Pead, who rocked the Senior Bowl.  Plays bigger than his size (against college athletes), but can he do it in the pros?  Vote of no confidence for Mendy, lightning for Redman's thunder.

3. NT Josh Chapman, Alabama. Raiding the Bama roster, Chapman falls due to injury, also gets consideration post-bye.   Hamp Jr.

4. WR T.Y. Hilton, Florida International.  Smallish speed receiver to help us offset a possible loss of Wallace, adds KR value to save Antonio Brown from injury.

5. CB/S Keith Tandy, WVU. Similar skill set to Cortez Allen, Tandy could be replacement for William Gay, or could be groomed to be our FS backup.

6.  CB Chris Greenwood, Albion.  Ike type of CB adds depth to a nascent group.

7. DE Akiem Nicks, Regina.  Rangy DT fits as a DE backup here, could be groomed to be more.

7. OLB Olivier Vernon, Miami.  Raw and immature, but with great pass rush potential.  Can sit for a while to be groomed behind the starters.

7. TE Adrien Robinson, Cincinnati.  Two Bearcats, and two Bama guys?  Robinson has nice measurables and upside, Steelers take a shot after missing on other TEs earlier.

Fin's Against the Grain 7-rounder to follow.

My Chalk

1.   Dontari Poe – DT Memphis
2.   Kelechi Osemele – OT Iowa State
3.   Nick Toon – WR Wisconsin
4.   Isaiah Pead – RB Cincinnati
5.   Bruce Irvin – LB/DE West Virginia
6.   Janzin Jackson – FS McNeese St
7.   Ryan Van Bergen – DE Michigan
7.           Carson Wiggs – K Purdue
7.          Garrett Celek – TE Michigan State

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
Y2Joyce
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Apr 24, 2012 at 21:50 »

You guys should've asked me earlier. The first pick is Hightower from Alabama (RIP Hightower from Police Academy).

Poe goes top 12.

Steelers 58-15 when I am in attendance.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Apr 25, 2012 at 09:50 »

Against the Grain

1. OT Bobby Massie, Ole Miss.  I think Tomlin has finally had the shits of the OL merry-go-round, and will gift OC Haley a more stable line to finally get the offense to play to potential.  Tomlin and the FO apparently like Massie a lot, and he's been getting slotted in the 1(c) - 2(a) range, so it's not a big reach.  Massie and Gilbert would make great bookends, and Massie could even vie for LT.  With Willie Colon undependable due to injuries, Massie would give us more than depth, he would provide a starter.  And consider this:  Colon's cap hit for the coming 3 years is a whopping $23.6M, of which $17M would be recoverable if we cut him outright.  That's a beefy bargaining chip.  A backup OT could be added in 2013 if Glibert and Massie are the new OTs.

2. OG Brandon Brooks, Miami (OH). Yep, two alums of Miami (OH) as offensive starters.  Brooks has the rhino size, but unlike the former Steeler mold of Kemo/Foster/etc., the big man can move.  Powerful, punishing, could play either OG spot.  This year's line could be Gilbert-Brooks-Pouncey-Colon-Massie.  That should put a smile on Tomlin's face, and Ben can settle into the pocket without getting sacked 45 or 50 times a season.

3. ILB James-Michael Johnson, Nevada. In my ILB guide, I stated that the Steelers should invoke the Chris Carter rule, dropping players who can't offer anything a guy already on roster can provide.  But with Farrior out and Foote following, you know they'll want to throw someone else into the backup mix to battle with Stevenson Sylvester and Carter (who could contend at ILB or OLB).  JMJ is in that same, athletic mold.  This is not my personal preference for who they should pick, but I think R3 could be ILB territory.

4. S Brandon Taylor, LSU.  Taylor compares to Ryan Clark not only in alma mater but also playing style.  He’s a smaller S who plays with some nasty.  He’s given a R3 rating by most sites, but safeties often slide in the draft, and the second tier safeties are considered a big dropoff from Barron and even Harrison Smith.  The Steelers like Taylor’s physicality and see him as a guy who can back up either FS or SS.

5. NT Hebron Fangupo, BYU.  Fangupo has the proto NT size and strength, and is a high-character type the Steelers love.  He’s overaged at 27, but NTs can play into their mid or late 30s, and that makes Fangupo a guy worth trying out at R5. 

6. CB Chris Greenwood , Albion.  Some sites have pushed Greenwood’s stock from R7 to R4-5, which is very high for a guy who played at such low LOC.  Can’t see that happening.  But if he’s there at R6, the Steelers may see in Greenwood a guy with some Ike traits – great speed, low LOC, could become a starter with some lots of coaching – but unlike Ike, Greenwood was born with hands.  A long-term project with big upside.

7.  DE Akiem Hicks, Regina.    Ahh, those wacky draft sites.  A few weeks ago he’s a R6-7 type, now he’s all the way up to R3-4?  Again, the LOC make that highly suspect.  My sense is that NFLDS et al. get a sense that teams are interested in these small school players and overvalue them based on that feedback.  Hicks is a DT whom several sites have mocked to the Steelers as a possible NT, but he lacks the frame and strength for that role.  As a DE, he could take time to develop behind Keisel, Hood, and Heyward and provide some rotational depth.

7.  WR Toney Clemons, Colorado.  Clemons is a Pittsburgh native who transferred from Michigan (where his cousin Steve Breaston went) to Colorado, where he was a good player on a bad team.  Of the 12 WRs who posted sub-4.50 times this year, the Steelers have had 4 in for official visits.  Not saying they’re looking to replace a particular speedy WR, but… just sayin’.  Clemons is a sleeper who could be a nice late round addition.

7. DE/OLB Ernie Owusu, Cal.  Owusu played DE in Cal’s 3-4, but has played some OLB as well, and at 6’4”, 277# he could potentially play either spot in LeBeau’s D.  Put the bar up a monstrous 39 times.  Not a screamingly fast 40 time (4.78), but Owusu could be the OLB4 behind Harrison and Woodley and Worilds, and be sort of a DE/OLB swing man if needed.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Apr 25, 2012 at 09:56 »

Forgot we have 3 comps in R7.  Add PK Randy Bullock, Texas A&M, as your final R7 guy to both the chalk and against the grain mockups.

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Apr 25, 2012 at 10:26 »

Hate to keep beating this dead horse, but here's my Mel Kiper, Top 3 Draft List:

(1) Hightower
(2) Poe
(3) Perry
(4) Jonathan Martin David DeCastro
(5) Brandon Brooks or Amini Silatolu (Silatolu might even get the nod ahead of Brooks due to versatility and following Weird Name Theory, of course) Jonathan Martin

After thinking about it, I'm making a couple slight changes to my list.  DeCastro ahead Martin who bumps Brooks/Silatolu off.

Think there's an average to slightly better than average but not quite an above average chance that DD is still on the board at 1.24.  Over the last 15 years or so, you could count on one hand the amount of guards that were selected @ 1.24 or better on draft day.  Decent chance he's still available.  If he's there, he should get strong consideration.  Last two times Pitt took an OG in R1, it worked out OK with Fanny and Simmons.
« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2012 at 12:45 by aj_law » Logged

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Apr 27, 2012 at 08:32 »

Hate to keep beating this dead horse, but here's my Mel Kiper, Top 3 Draft List:

(1) Hightower
(2) Poe
(3) Perry
(4) Jonathan Martin David DeCastro
(5) Brandon Brooks or Amini Silatolu (Silatolu might even get the nod ahead of Brooks due to versatility and following Weird Name Theory, of course) Jonathan Martin

After thinking about it, I'm making a couple slight changes to my list.  DeCastro ahead Martin who bumps Brooks/Silatolu off.

Think there's an average to slightly better than average but not quite an above average chance that DD is still on the board at 1.24.  Over the last 15 years or so, you could count on one hand the amount of guards that were selected @ 1.24 or better on draft day.  Decent chance he's still available.  If he's there, he should get strong consideration.  Last two times Pitt took an OG in R1, it worked out OK with Fanny and Simmons.

Funny.  I didn't add DeCastro initially because I didn't expect him to be there.  Hopefully, the Hutchinson comparisons play out.

Think that might've been the fastest I've ever seen Pittsburgh get their selection in.  As soon as Cleveland made their pick, they were on their way to the podium.

After they picked double D, did anyone else hope to themselves that Pittsburgh was going to make a last second Wallace trade to someone for another R1?  With Hightower sitting there, I couldn't help envisioning a R1 where they came away with DeCastro and Hightower.

:wetdream:

Of course, New England bounced in at the very next pick and snaps me out of it.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #17 on: Apr 27, 2012 at 09:07 »

... envisioning a R1 where they came away with DeCastro and Hightower.

:wetdream:

Of course, New England bounced in at the very next pick and snaps me out of it.

I bet that NE trade up precipitated the Balty trade back.  Ha haaaaa, suck it Ratties.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2012 at 08:51 »

Only got ONE player right (Toney Clemons, FTW!), but I think my Against the Grain picks did reasonably well WRT to positions selected by round.  R1 & 2 I had us taking OL, R3 an ILB, and R5 a NT (off by a round). 

Of course, the only reason it worked out that way was the fact that DDC inexplicably dropped (Bengals... are idiots), and Mike Adams flagged for pot.

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2012 at 09:24 »

The positions selected by round prediction was impressive, I wouldn't have thought they'd go OL in rds 1 AND 2.  Maybe OL and DL but OL twice? NOpe.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: