Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 28, 2014 at 05:39 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Finny's 2012 first round mock  (Read 5863 times)
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #70 on: Apr 26, 2012 at 21:44 »

ok so we go ILB or NT in the 2nd...

Who will it be?

I don't think it's that simple, Brinker.  After the known quantities are off the board, there's a lot of BAA that comes into consideration.  

A shabby Charlie Brown.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #71 on: Apr 26, 2012 at 21:48 »

Wow, B'more traded out of the 1st.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #72 on: Apr 26, 2012 at 21:51 »

Wow, B'more traded out of the 1st.

Because they tried to get cute earlier and screwed themselves out of any real value.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #73 on: Apr 26, 2012 at 21:53 »

Assuming the following are available

Alameda Ta'amu - NT
Mychal Kendricks - LB
Josh Chapman - NT
Lavonte David - LB

Who?

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #74 on: Apr 26, 2012 at 21:54 »

Never thought I'd type the words "Minnesota's having a great draft" but there you go.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Manimal
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #75 on: Apr 26, 2012 at 21:54 »

Gotta love the Browns reaching for a QB every other year. Blowing a pick on Wheedon also essentially ruins whatever advantage they got for trading out of the top of the draft last year with Atlanta.

Also loving the Bengals drafting the player I was worried we were going to pick, the G out of Wisconsin, who'll probably be a perfectly average NFL starter but is really nothing special, played on a great line.
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #76 on: Apr 26, 2012 at 21:59 »

Holy crap what a find.  Local dude around here is arrogant as hell and must have his ortho on speed dial for the number of times he dislocates his shoulder patting himself on the back...BUT he eats and sleeps this stuff and is usually pretty on target.  Weeks ago he was saying DD was his only sure thing lock for greatness in this draft.

I saw Weeden as best QB available when Cleveland came up, hoped they'd go for him but didn't really think they'd do it.  Didn't Brady Quinn go to them at 22?  Just sayin'.
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #77 on: Apr 26, 2012 at 22:01 »

BTW not sure if MGS saw this we signed Byron Leftwich to 1 year deal

msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #78 on: Apr 26, 2012 at 22:03 »

Sweeter words may never have been written.  From ESPN AFCN blog:

He (Decastro) will likely replace Doug Legursky as the starter at left guard.
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #79 on: Apr 26, 2012 at 22:03 »

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers took a big step toward addressing their problems on the offensive line when they selected Stanford guard David DeCastro with the No. 1 pick in tonight's NFL draft.

DeCastro (6-5, 315) is considered the best guard in the draft and was projected as a top-15 pick. But he slipped all the way to the Steelers with the 24th overall pick and they wasted little time, if any, selecting him.

"We didn't think David would be here, we valued him that high," said general manager Kevin Colbert. "We said earlier [this week] there are a few special players in this [draft] group. He was one of them."

The Steelers had DeCastro rated so highly that Colbert said they considered trading up to draft him.

It is the second time in the past three years Coach Mike Tomlin has drafted an offensive player with the No. 1 pick. He is the first guard to be selected on the first round by the Steelers since Kendall Simmons in 2002.

"He's a great player with excellent intangibles -- character, tough, leader, smart," Colbert said. "Everything you could ask for in a football player. We're truly, truly excited he was available to us at [number] 24."

"He has awesome intangibles," Coach Mike Tomlin said. "He was the unquestioned leader of a veteran group in college."

The Steelers had several needs on defense after they released inside linebacker James Farrior and defensive end Aaron Smith, two of their long-time stalwarts and leaders. Also, five-time Pro Bowl nose tackle Casey Hampton is coming off major knee surgery and is likely in his final season with the Steelers.

The Steelers did not have a chance to bolster their nose tackle position with the player they liked -- Dontari Poe of Memphis, who was selected by the Kansas City Chiefs with the 11th overall pick. Poe was one of the players whom the Steelers interviewed at the NFL scouting combine and also at their South Side facility.

But quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who turns 30 this season, has been sacked an average of 43 times a season since 2007 and plagued with a number of nagging injuries because of the number of hits he has absorbed.

The Steelers are set at both tackle positions with Willie Colon returning to the right side and Marcus Gilbert moving to left tackle. But, after releasing former starter Chris Kemoeatu in the offseason, their starting guards are Doug Legursky and Ramon Foster -- a pair of undrafted players who have never gone to training camp as the incumbent starters.

DeCastro was the right guard on a Stanford offensive line that protected quarterback Andrew Luck, the No. 1 pick in the draft. But Colbert said DeCastro usually led 80 percent of their running plays.

"I'm just thankful I'm on a great team with a great franchise," DeCastro said shortly after being drafted. "I grew up a Seahawks fan. I wasn't the biggest Steelers fan growing up. Now I'm the biggest Steelers fan there is."

Gerry Dulac: gdulac@post-gazette.com; twitter: @gerrydulac
First Published 2012-04-27 02:31:47

Pages: 1 ... 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: