Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Dec 20, 2014 at 00:09 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 [9] 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Finny's 2012 first round mock  (Read 7071 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #80 on: Apr 26, 2012 at 22:11 »

Who had the best and worst R1?  Can't sift out trade values till the liver processes some wine, but prima facie, Steelers getting DDC at 1.24 is ~ +12 in terms of projected value.  Seattle taking Irvin is ~ -100.  Idiots.

Next worst?  Weeden to Browns.  Good player, bad value, bad fit.  Exacerbates all that is wrong there, i.e., creates a QB contro when not needed.  Duh.

Upshaw is the big surprise dropper.  Otherwise, most of the rest of R1 was ~ where I expected, DDC and Irvin aside.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #81 on: Apr 26, 2012 at 22:16 »

Ha ha, suck it Seattle.

"I'm just thankful I'm on a great team with a great franchise," DeCastro said shortly after being drafted. "I grew up a Seahawks fan. I wasn't the biggest Steelers fan growing up. Now I'm the biggest Steelers fan there is."

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #82 on: Apr 26, 2012 at 22:19 »

Would love to see us go RT with Massie or Osemele.  OL R1 and R2?  Unheard of.

Too many players to list for R2, but ILB Kendricks and ILB Wagner come to mind, RB Polk and Turbin, S Brandon Taylor and S/ILB Lavonte David.  

WR Stephen Hill... won't make it, but so I said about DDC.  Fleener, ditto.

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #83 on: Apr 26, 2012 at 22:50 »

DeCastro was Charlie Casserly's value pick of the day.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
scballersc

Saw Ben on Halloween (pre-Milledgeville)

« Reply #84 on: Apr 26, 2012 at 23:39 »

The Steelers did not have a chance to bolster their nose tackle position with the player they liked -- Dontari Poe of Memphis, who was selected by the Kansas City Chiefs with the 11th overall pick. Poe was one of the players whom the Steelers interviewed at the NFL scouting combine and also at their South Side facility.

Gerry Dulac: gdulac@post-gazette.com; twitter: @gerrydulac
First Published 2012-04-27 02:31:47

Is Dulac trying to say that we valued Poe more than DeCastro?  What an absurd statement.  Have the Steelers ever gone with the combine freaks who "underperformed against marginal talent"?
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #85 on: Apr 27, 2012 at 06:46 »

The Steelers did not have a chance to bolster their nose tackle position with the player they liked -- Dontari Poe of Memphis, who was selected by the Kansas City Chiefs with the 11th overall pick. Poe was one of the players whom the Steelers interviewed at the NFL scouting combine and also at their South Side facility.

Gerry Dulac: gdulac@post-gazette.com; twitter: @gerrydulac
First Published 2012-04-27 02:31:47

Is Dulac trying to say that we valued Poe more than DeCastro?  What an absurd statement.  Have the Steelers ever gone with the combine freaks who "underperformed against marginal talent"?

Can't say Poe wasn't a target, huge upside off his athleticism.

But FFS, I had DeCastro as #4 on my R1 targets list, with no real hope of getting, say, Andrew Luck, Trent Richardson, or Justin BLackmon.  Which is to say, my abbreviated small board included such trade-up targets as Kuechly, Barron, and DDC.

Just amazing.

Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #86 on: Apr 27, 2012 at 07:51 »

Woke up thinking DeCastro at 24, really?

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #87 on: Apr 27, 2012 at 08:18 »

Who had the best and worst R1?  Can't sift out trade values till the liver processes some wine, but prima facie, Steelers getting DDC at 1.24 is ~ +12 in terms of projected value.  Seattle taking Irvin is ~ -100.  Idiots.

Next worst?  Weeden to Browns.  Good player, bad value, bad fit.  Exacerbates all that is wrong there, i.e., creates a QB contro when not needed.  Duh.

Upshaw is the big surprise dropper.  Otherwise, most of the rest of R1 was ~ where I expected, DDC and Irvin aside.

Tough to really say who had best/worst R1, IMO.  It's such a small sample size.  I mean, you've got a bunch of teams with multiple picks and I think it's kinda hard to compare how well those teams did with teams that only made one pick or those that moved back and acquired selections.  Right now, it looks like a team like the Rams came away with a big bucket of fail, but if they knock it out of the park tonight and in the later rounds, it certainly compensates.

I actually think that Cleveland did OK.  I don't see it as a QB controversy.  McCoy is either gone or becomes a decent backup.  They told him they weren't drafting a QB, so I assume that the former is more likely?  Nowadays, you don't draft a QB in R1 to sit...unless you're getting tremendous value and you've got a Pro Bowler at the position already (read: Rodgers).  Weeden is an improvement over McCoy today and is as good or better than Tannenhill.  If he just learns to handle playing under pressure better, he can be a solid quarterback for them.   He certainly has all the physical attributes and can make all the throws that an NFL QB needs to make...something that McCoy can't, IMO.  Richardson is obviously a monster improvement at the position so they come away with two new starters on the offensive side of the ball.  Maybe they overpaid a bit, but they filled two big needs.

TBH, I think almost every team that had multiple picks came away a winner.  Minny, N'ngland, Cleveland, Cincy and Tampa (meh).

Of the teams with one pick, San Diego and Pittsburgh stand out.

Teams that left you scratching your head?  At first blush, Seattle, but there's a high boom or bust factor with him.  Read that almost ten teams had Irvin as a top 15 pick at one point so there's obviously talent there.  It's all that extra baggage that's the question.  Chicago, St. Louis and the Jets aren't far behind either.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #88 on: Apr 27, 2012 at 09:26 »

Good read on DeCastro.

And the Tomlin-Colbert presser...  Will plat DDC at RG, was thinking they'd put him left, but RG makes sense esp. WRT the run game.

Happy today:  Kugler and Haley.  And Ben.

KeystoneKC
Old School Member

« Reply #89 on: Apr 27, 2012 at 09:46 »

Would love to see us go RT with Massie or Osemele.  OL R1 and R2?  Unheard of.

Too many players to list for R2, but ILB Kendricks and ILB Wagner come to mind, RB Polk and Turbin, S Brandon Taylor and S/ILB Lavonte David.  

WR Stephen Hill... won't make it, but so I said about DDC.  Fleener, ditto.

Ditto that on the OL double-tap.  I have Glenn, Martin, & Massie circled, but can't see any of 'em happening without a trade up.  There also seems to be a 3-4 DL value bubble.  I half expected Worthy and/or Still to go R1, but they're still hanging.  Reyes & Winn should be coming into play before long, and I can't figure out Ta'amu.  If he's still there, I'd be seriously tempted then change the sign on the weight-room door to read cafeteria.

Cleveland:  The only NFL city to never play in, or host, a Superbowl.  That bears repeating.
Pages: 1 ... 8 [9] 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: