Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Aug 22, 2014 at 14:45 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2012 Draft - R4-7 Discussion thread  (Read 6292 times)
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #50 on: Apr 30, 2012 at 12:24 »

RE:  Rainey.

From the highlights I've seen (which basically includes a handful of clips on the 212, ESPN and some Youtube videos), he reminds me an awful lot of a DeSean Jackson.  Small~ish guy in terms of NFL standards who's quick/fast and extremely elusive; very rare that a defensive player gets off a clean shot on him.  Get him in the open field and he's gone.

I doubt you'll see him take many handoffs.  I think Pittsburgh will use him more as a receiving weapon out of the backfield and maybe as a slot guy.  As long as he can get off the LOS, he'll be causing a lot of problems for defenses.  The McCluster comparison is pretty apt and not too surprising.

Rainey told reporters in Pittsburgh he considers himself a running back first, but all he wants to do is get on the field, and he doesn’t care where.

“I can play running back. I can play slot. I can play special teams,” Rainey said, according to a transcript on the Steelers website. “Wherever they want me, because I’m a playmakers all around.”

The Steelers aren’t quite sure what they want Rainey to do yet. Offensive coordinator Todd Haley told reporters in Pittsburgh that will be determined once they get Rainey in camp, although he did compare Rainey to Chiefs running back/receiver Dexter McCluster. Haley was the Chiefs’ head coach from 2009-2011 and drafted McCluster out of Ole Miss in 2010.

“I think it’s easy to lump guys like that together, but that’s what he is,” Haley said, according to a transcript on the Steelers website. “He is a situational player when it comes to offense. It might be third down, it might be by package, you might see him as a receiver or as a running back, but you’ll see him do a little bit of everything.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
jasonic
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #51 on: Apr 30, 2012 at 12:44 »

“Wherever they want me, because I’m a playmakers all around.”

he obviously got the Florida edumication.

"If you make every game a life and death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot."
TwistedLemon

« Reply #52 on: Apr 30, 2012 at 16:12 »

2 picks that really do nothing for me.  The first is Rainey.  While I dont completely hate it, dont know that it really does alot for us.  The highlight reel posted did show some great quickness.....against Florida Atlantic, UAB and defensive powerhouse Tennessee.  Sadly, we dont play cleveland every week so no comparision is there for me.  Would love to know what exactly placed him so much higher than Polk.  The second one is the TE pick.  We already have Miller, Pope, Saunders, and Johnson so I am curious if perhaps this pick was for a large and slow WR since in Oregon he was split out most of the time

"My reality check bounced"
The Emperor
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #53 on: Apr 30, 2012 at 18:29 »

“Wherever they want me, because I’m a playmakers all around.”

he obviously got the Florida edumication.

Bawahahhahahahaaa

Life is to short to root for a losing team!
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #54 on: Apr 30, 2012 at 18:52 »

The highlight reel posted did show some great quickness.....against Florida Atlantic, UAB and defensive powerhouse Tennessee. 

+1

Was just thinking that and about to post it.  Maybe he'll be all that, but I'm in wait and see mode on him.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2012 at 09:01 »

Yep.  As noted, buried deep in the Finny Guides, why I hate YouTube highlight reels, amongst other reasons.

Off-field aside, the two characters could contribute if they work at it and stay healthy, respectively.  With Adams, I expect him to be backup only this year, barring Colon breaking something.  Could push Jon Scott and his cap hit off.  2012 could shape up as Gilbert-Foster-Pouncey-DDC-Colon, and 2013 could have several permutations, with Colon off due to cap/injuries, or Foster out and one of the 2012 OTs inside.  Gilbert has the inside strength but lacks leverage; Colon has leverage and strength but is way slow off the snap as OG.  Time will tell.

Interesting to see how Haley molds the McCluster role, presuming Rainey makes the cut, which I do. At 5'8" 180#, he'll need to hope he channel Sproles and stay healthy.  Could compete at KR/PR; will be in the mix as the COP back, since none of our guys has speed; and will definitely get some situational WR play, possibly out of the slot.  Is going to push someone off the roster, either one of the RBs (MM, Dwyer) or WR (Clemons, to the practice squad).  Would venture that MM sticks until RM is back, so Redman, Dwyer, MM, Rainey is your 4, Clay back to PS.  Clemons is very raw anyway, so he's going to need a year, IMHO.

Doubt the TE or Beachum make the cut, would have gone after some numbers guys, but that's the difference between me and KC.  Some potential with the UDFAs.  As mentioned, local (to me) high-motor kid, OLB Adrian Robinson, was a sack machine at Temple, but hard to say how his game will translate.  Good chance he gets stashed a year.  Co-worker's wife taught him back in the day (and Colston).  May have to see if I can use that channel to interview him for MGS.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Pages: 1 ... 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: