Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 24, 2014 at 23:30 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Starting OL  (Read 1084 times)
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« on: May 03, 2012 at 11:00 »

Bouchette predicts a lineup of LT Mike Adams, LG Willie Colon, C Maurkice Pouncey, RG David DeCastro, RT Marcus Gilbert based on Kruger's statement that he doesn't like to move guys around.

However, the Steelers were planning to move Gilbert to the left side and most analysts projected Adams to the right.  So, I wonder who is correct?  And will Colon have a better shot at not exploding some part of his body by playing inside?

Guess we'll find out in camp.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012 at 11:25 »

ATM, two constants.  Pouncey at C and DeCastro at OG.  After that, it's a toss up.

:CaptainObvious:

"This post is brought to you by Marvel Comics' new movie, The Avengers.  See it in movie theatres in IMAX, 3D, 3D IMAX, 3DD, 3DDD, 36D-22-34 on Friday, May 4th."
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012 at 11:59 by aj_law » Logged

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012 at 11:45 »

I'll be surprised if Adams is a starter this year, barring injury.  Needs to get stronger (19 reps v. 30 (IIRC) for Gilbert, who was pretty capable).  Don't put much faith in the notion DDC is locked in at RG.  Who's better at OG, Foster or Legs?  Answer, Foster, but as RG only.  Your starting OL:  Gilbert, DDC, Pounce, Foster, Colon.  Adams is swing OT backup, 50/50 chance Jon Scott gets cut and Max Starks comes back.  Maybe even better odds than that, given Scott's $2M+ cap hit.  For being a turd.  Legs and Essex are your utility backups.  That's 9.  Probably about it unless someone from the PS like Trevis Turner or John Malecki push their way in.

2013, Adams starts.  So long as he's turned over that new leaf...

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012 at 19:25 »

So have the front office or coaches ever mentioned moving Colon to guard?  This is something I always read on blogs and such and of course I'd prefer it but I've never heard it mentioned internally.  I guess it doesn't matter as he'll rip his pec or bicep the first day of practice anyways.
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012 at 21:23 »

If they plan to move Colon to guard, they sign Starks to a one year deal or move Gilbert to LT and have Adams at RT.  Can't see Adams getting on the field any other way than an injury to Gilbert or Starks

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
give'emthaboot
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012 at 11:36 »

It seems to me like Finny's project OL lineup of Gilbert/DeCastro/Pouncey/Foster/Colon is the most likely.  The only other possible option that would make sense to me (which doesn't mean much, I suppose) would be Gilbert/DDC/Pouncey/Colon/Adams.  That would have to hinge on Adams being ready this season and the FO finally deciding to try Colon at his original position.

Either way though, DeCastro is going to make a HUGE different this season.  Can't wait.

'Oh, my, James Harrison is not going to the White House, he must be a devil worshiper!'
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012 at 13:02 »

Yeah, DDC improves the line now, Adams IMO may improve it (depending) down the road.

So, o/u on number of sacks allowed this season?  What's Ben's running average, about 45 per?  Better line play, (hopefully) better OC playcalling to get the ball out faster... 

Ben got sacked 40 times last year, but the total was 42 (Batch had 2).  NFL range in 2011 was 23 (Bills) to 55 (Rams), Steelers predictably in the bottom 10.  I'm thinking the o/u should be around 33, 35?  Hell, Suggs's Achilles prolly accounts for 2 by itself, so 33 is my ever-optimistic number.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
scballersc

Saw Ben on Halloween (pre-Milledgeville)

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012 at 14:25 »

In terms of pass-pro and decreased sack #s, I see DDC's effect as being more of a indirect one.  As a guard, I see DDC doing more for the run game in terms of moving people (more traps please), thereby bringing the pass-run balance back to 50-50%.  And one would think that less pass attempts means less sacks.  At the same time, having a solid run game will slow the outside pass rush (especially if we can effectively run traps/counters under them) which will give even our less than stellar OTs an opportunity to drop into their pass set.

Consider the extreme--> a D like the Eagles wide 9 that is entirely devoted to pressuring the QB from the outside.  Last year our tackles would have been outclassed on the edges and there was no guarantee that Leg-Pouncey-Foster would get any push on that defensive front (however soft).  We've given that defense much more to think about this year and in turn, our tackles have a real chance.

DDC will also enhance our pass pro to the extent that he pushes Legursky out of the starting lineup.  I've come to see an unreasonable amount of love for Legursky over the years on this Board because he is "smart."  In a relative sense he is Einstein.  But to put it lightly, being smarter than Kemoeatu does not make him a smart lineman in any real sense.  In fact, I thought he was quite terrible in zone blocking schemes.

So I guess the number is 35, potentially less if they go with Gilbert-Colon-Pouncey-DDC-Adams.  With Manning or Brady the over-under is something like 25.
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012 at 09:33 »

I envision a watered down west coast offense with a running flavor.  It's got to be better than play calls with 7 step drops with routes that take 8 seconds to develop with 4 seconds of protection.  Having said that, I'm taking the under on the sacks with a crazy optimistic 29.  Book it!!!!

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: