10 Worst classic rock bands

(1/6) > >>

Finnegans Wake:
So for shits and giggles I was listening to the local classic rock station while doing work around the house last weekend, and for a while I was enjoying myself either with a) trip down memory lane vibes or b) ironic/guilty pleasure stuff.  A couple of good songs, then a clunker, couple of good songs, then a clunker... until after a few hours of this I fell to the ground and thanked God for creating punk. 

As a side note, what constitutes "classic rock" has changed pretty damned drastically from when I was growing up till now, but no need to go opening up any time capsules.

The formula for worst classic rock bands is this:  degree of atrocity x incidence in rotation (how often they get played).  So while a band like (Jefferson) Starship should be napalmed from the face of the earth, they don't really break classic rock rotation, so the issue's moot.  Really, you should be happy to never hear another song from this band again as long as you live.  Gosh, I should never have nuked the Eagles from everyone's collective fucking memory, because for some weird reason I want to hear Witchy Woman or some distant such possibility.

AC/DC damn near made my list, because for whatever appeal Back in Black once held, it's been pretty well tortured the fuck out of existence by overplay.  How this band became central to the classic rock canon escapes me.  But I had 10 worse bands, so AC/DC's floating in the teens, most likely.  Dire Straits could have made the cut easily.  There are plenty of them.  But the ones I hear too fucking often, and for which I can find no redeeming fucking value whatsoever, are these.  They're in no particular order, because to order them would mean one has some redeeming quality over one of the others, which none of these do.

1.   Foreigner
2.   Bon Jovi
3.   Asia
4.   Styx (OK, I know people love their Renegade‚Ķ get the fuck over it.  The song sucks, we can find a different tune.  Styx literally hurts my brain.)
5.   Tom Petty
6.   George Thorogood
7.   Journey
8.   REO Speedwagon
9.   Def Leppard
10.   Meat Loaf

Any alternate lists?

aj_law:
Quote from: Finnegans Wake on May 18, 2012 at 15:58

AC/DC damn near made my list, because for whatever appeal Back in Black once held, it's been pretty well tortured the fuck out of existence by overplay.  How this band became central to the classic rock canon escapes me.  But I had 10 worse bands, so AC/DC's floating in the teens, most likely.

Communist.

Def Leppard too?

Shit, I'm not even that big a fan of rock either...

pensodyssey:
Quote from: Finnegans Wake on May 18, 2012 at 15:58

AC/DC damn near made my list, because for whatever appeal Back in Black once held, it's been pretty well tortured the fuck out of existence by overplay.  How this band became central to the classic rock canon escapes me. 

Finny, AC/DC was a going concern way before Back in Black.  Most fans of the band (full disclosure: I am a fan of the band) would tell you that that album is pretty much when they started to suck.

If you need a refresher on AC/DC, look behind the Tim Couch for your old copy of Highway to Hell.

Dire Straits could have made the cut easily.

I like "Romeo and Juliet".  But, yeah.  I actually own more Brinsley Schwartz records than Dire Straits records.  I own one Brinsley Schwartz record.

1.   Foreigner

When Joe Strummer died, even the New York Post saw fit to mention it.  They gave him about ten lines, stuffed between sudoku and an ad for ladies' hair removal.  It was all good, though, because they ran a picture of him too.  Problem was, they fucked up and ran a picture of Mick Jones instead.

Mick Jones from Foreigner.  

True story.

6.   George Thorogood

My only real beef with your list.  His first album (the one with "One Bourbon") is excellent, if you listen to it from a pure blues perspective.

10.   Meat Loaf

I will always have a soft spot for "Two out of three".  

Any alternate lists?

If I had to start a list, I would start it with the Beatles.  Never need to hear another Beatles song, ever.  Pisses me off that they're given credit for man first discovering he could stand up to pee.

pensodyssey:
And let me add Bob Marley as number two to my list.

pensodyssey:
Third would be Queen.

1. The Beatles.
2. Bob Marley.
3. Queen.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page