Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Dec 22, 2014 at 13:57 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ike to Wallace: Football doesn't need you; you need football  (Read 480 times)
Joetorious
Brownstains can suck my Member

« on: May 30, 2012 at 11:00 »

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/30/ike-taylor-offers-some-advice-to-mike-wallace/

My respect for Taylor has gone up significantly in the past five minutes.

Because I'm not crazy about Florio, here's the copy:

We’ve been talking about Mike Wallace’s desire for a new long-term contract for so long that it has been hard to remember that there’s actually a deadline of some note rapidly approaching in the wide receiver’s impasse with the Steelers.

If Wallace doesn’t sign his restricted free agent tender by June 15th, the Steelers can slash his salary from $2.742 million to $577,000. That’s suddenly right around the corner, although there hasn’t been much movement on either side with deadline day rapidly approaching. Wallace is skipping OTAs, he isn’t expected to be at the June minicamp and who knows what could transpire from there.

Cornerback Ike Taylor has been in Wallace’s position of looking for a new deal from the Steelers in the past, which gives him the ability to offer some advice to his teammate. Taylor said, via the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, he’s told Wallace he’d like to see him at practice to learn the new offense and cautioned that the Steelers “are not going to let you dictate to them on how you feel.” He also sent Wallace a message about leverage.

“Mike is going to be a Pittsburgh Steeler for years to come,” Taylor said. “(But I told him), at the end of the day: Football doesn’t need you; you need football.”

Assuming the Steelers don’t suddenly and completely reverse course by throwing a contract at his feet, Wallace’s choices at this point are pretty clear. He can sign the tender before it gets slashed, he could sign the deflated version in November so that he accrues a season toward free agency or he can sit out the whole season. Wallace might not like the first of those options, but it certainly seems like the most likely way to get what he wants out of this season.

Tell 'em...Large Marge sent ya! Bwhahahaha
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012 at 12:36 »

I thought this deal would get done long ago, but since I'm wrong on that my surmise is that it comes in a little higher than I had originally expected.  Though not as high as MW is hoping for.  The two sides are probably inching along and stalemating, with the expectation to get this done forced by the timeline of Latrobe. 

1. Ike is right, and phrased it well.
2. The Steelers O would survive even without MW this year, but is much better with him.  From the Duh Dept.
3. FO will not slash his salary even if MW does not sign the 6/15 tender.  Not their style. 
4. Haven't seen the 2012 camp sched, but should start 7/28, same as LY.  He'll miss a couple of practice, putting over/under at 7/31 for completing the contract.  Miss a little to see if he can get some small concession, not enough to miss too many reps.

Will have to revise contract predictions.  But not a lot.  He's going to move more than the FO will.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012 at 12:38 »

Wallace would do well to listen to Taylor.  

“(But I told him), at the end of the day: Football doesn’t need you; you need football.”

They should all remember that.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Joetorious
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012 at 14:45 »

I guess more than anything, I'm curious to know what Ike actually said instead of "(But I told him)..."

And if he didn't say anything, why did the author presume that's what he meant to say or should have said?

Tell 'em...Large Marge sent ya! Bwhahahaha
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: