Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 20, 2014 at 05:28 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Seryn @ The Kessler Theater in Dallas  (Read 358 times)
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« on: Jun 16, 2012 at 21:12 »

We finally got back to The Kessler for a show.  It's a great place, an old movie theater from the 1950's, perfect for an intimate concert setting.

The opener was Julia Sinclair, originally from upstate New York, currently of Nashville.  She played a short solo set on the acoustic.  Singer/song writer type of stuff but the young lady had some chops and a style her own, enjoyed.  

Next up were Beau Jennings & The Tigers who hailed from the great state of Oklahoma.  This was a straight-up 5 piece rock and roll act.  Beau introduced one song as a piece from his documentary about Will Rogers.  They played a good set but frankly, nothing in particular grabbed me.  Solid but unspectacular.  

Seryn followed and put on a hell of a show.  They're also a 5 member act, but three played multiple instruments and that lead to a variety of configurations.  The only female member switched between violin and percussion.  The percussionist/drummer also played banjo while the lead singer played ukulele, accordion, guitar and percussion.  But the best part were the harmonies.  While the lead singer handled most vocals, he was frequently supported by the guitarist and violinist and the three harmonized beautifully.  

Seryn is a local band from Denton, Texas, home of the University of North Texas.  So far they've released one album and they played it all last night.  They can be categorized as indie-folk-rock, their music and live show are uplifting.  At the end of their set before leaving they said, that's it, we're done.   But they performed an encore of one song they're still working on and another jam that still has no lyrics.  They weren't kidding, they poured it all out for us and we loved it.

And all of that for the low low price of $0!  That's right, good ol' jonzr won free tix thanks to @kesslertheater!

You gotta love YouTube, video from the show (not mine, I was on the opposite side on the floor, this is from the right balcony).

Julia Sinclair

Seryn, lead vocalist

Seryn

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: