Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 20, 2014 at 19:02 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 ... 5  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Pirates  (Read 4703 times)
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Jul 09, 2012 at 23:55 »

Let me lead this post off by saying I am all in with this team, and by that I mean that I am happy to stop bitching about owners and gms and losing.   I'm just ready to enjoy it for however long it lasts.  I think playoffs are unlikely, but am now very hopeful of ending the losing streak.  Still, there are pieces missing and I don't really believe B.J. Upton is the answer, not at the cost.

Thoughts so far:

McCutchen.  That is all.

It's a shame there's no better option than Barmes.  But there's no shortstop available on the block and there's no way in hell Hurdle messes with a winning formula by sitting him, either.  At least Barmes provides some flashy leather on occasion.

My favorite player on the club right now is James McDonald.  Last year you could see how good his stuff was, but wondered if he'd ever master it.  He appears to have mastered it.  That back door breaking pitch he threw all day saturday got him about 15 outs, one way or another.  And he works fast, which speaks to his confidence level IMO.

No way we keep getting this kind of production out of the catcher tandem.  Barajas would have to step it up (and he seems too old to do so) because McKenry will surely cool significantly.  But again, not like there's anything we can do about it.

What we can do something about is Erik fucking Bedard.  He's just... horrible.  There's gotta be somebody better whose club wants to unload for salary. Somebody at triple a has to be better.  Has to be.  What would it take to get Millwood out of Seattle?  It couldn't be much.  Seattle is awful.  Even Jamie Moyer would be an upgrade.

We now know who Pedro is.  He'll hit 25+ home runs, he'll slug at least .450, but he'll also regularly go on 3 for 42 runs. 

I sometimes wonder what we could get for "that pederast" Hanrahan, and if Grilli could feasibly take over closing.  But maybe that's just the 20 years of selling assets in me talking.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Jul 10, 2012 at 08:55 »

Congrats to the Pirates on a monster first half.

Seriously.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Jul 21, 2012 at 01:33 »

Man, this is a fun team to root for.  Back in the burgh next week, got tickets to two of the cubs games.  Totally wired.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #3 on: Jul 22, 2012 at 08:11 »

Man, this is a fun team to root for.  Back in the burgh next week, got tickets to two of the cubs games.  Totally wired.

Nice.  With three against the cubs and four against the astros, this team should be right there for that reds series.  Love to see that Agust 5th game get moved to Sunday Night Baseball.

I was thinking the other day, If the pirates and braves both finish in the wild card and get the one game playoff, 20 years later, it finally could be payback time.  I'd like to sign Francisco Cabrera to a one day contract if that happens.
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Jul 22, 2012 at 09:47 »

I'd like to sign Francisco Cabrera to a one day contract if that happens.

As long as we don't sign Bonds to a one day, it's all good.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #5 on: Jul 22, 2012 at 11:23 »

I'd like to sign Francisco Cabrera to a one day contract if that happens.

As long as we don't sign Bonds to a one day, it's all good.

I dunno man, I think the roids took care of his candy ass arm.
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Jul 22, 2012 at 21:24 »

Sweep!

Going tomorrow and tuesday.

Watching the Tex-LAAoA game on espn.  I hope bonzr enjoys having poo-holes in his division for a few years.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #7 on: Jul 23, 2012 at 07:39 »

I enjoyed the first part of his season, but it looks like he's turning on the poo now.  True poo.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
DrRockit
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #8 on: Jul 26, 2012 at 22:58 »

It's been a lot of fun.  I have a feeling that Barmes must have pictures of Huntington with a hooker or something.  Decent enough in the field, but only marginally more effective than MacDonald with the bat.

Rodriguez is a much better pickup than I expected.  Let's hope he pitches as well for us as he did against us.
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Jul 26, 2012 at 23:51 »

Let's get the Marte started!

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Pages: [1] 2 ... 5  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: