Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 24, 2014 at 04:56 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 5  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Pirates  (Read 4736 times)
DrRockit
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #10 on: Jul 27, 2012 at 19:04 »

People talking about trading Correia are insane.  Two weeks ago Bedard was close to scoring an ARIANS on the 'get his ass out of Pittsburgh' scale.  Now all of a sudden he's a sure thing.

Over the past month and a half, Correia has looked better than Bedard, plus Bedard has always had injury issues.  Plus MacDonald has looked shaky since the all star break.  I think it's a matter of Correia having more to offer from the pen than Bedard, and it would crush JMac to break the routine.  A couple of bad starts, or an injury, and KC's a starter again.  No way I trade decent starting pitching going into a playoff run, unless it involved getting a truly superior bat.  And I just don't think KC's trade value is that high.

Random thought:  I wish McGehee was more consistent at the plate, because he's played a nice first base for us this year.

Random thought 2: I think Pedro has made a lot of progress this year.  But he still strikes out too much to be a cleanup hitter.  Do you remember his last sac fly?  Me neither.  Leave him where he is in the lineup.  He's still learning how to hit major league pitching.  When he becomes a 'tough out' and not just a home run threat, move him up.

Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #11 on: Jul 28, 2012 at 09:05 »

Yeah I'd definitely keep Correia around for insurance. Berdard has been better this year but his arm is due to fall off any start now.  Plus you've got a guy like J-Mac who is going to reach a career high in innings this year.  Having another reliabale 5th starter/swing-man is a valuable thing.  I think his value is higher to the team than any marginal prospect we'd get in return for him.

Re McGehee: good pinch hitter aginst lefties and good defensive replacement, but he's exposed when he plays every day.  I hope they still pick up a more consistent bat for RF and stick Jones at first. Jone has actually been hitting lefties, and he's earned the shot to play everyday.

Re Pedro: Definitely needs to be more consistent, but he's been such a pile of crap the last two years that I'll take the .230 average and strikeouts if he keeps slugging the way he has.  He's always going to be a big strikeout guy, but I would like to see either that average rise or Pedro to start taking some more walks.  I'd leave him where he is in the lineup as well for now, gives us some nice power at the later part of the order.

pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Jul 28, 2012 at 09:20 »

I kinda like the idea of the idea of Correia spot starting for everyone except Burnett, and Juan D. Rodriguez (until we see what he's got).  Seems to me like they could all use a bit of extra rest.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
DrRockit
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #13 on: Jul 29, 2012 at 08:20 »

I really hope MacDonald is solid today and finds his groove again.  He gave us glimpses of what he was capable of the past two seasons, and was so much fun to watch for the first half of this season.  Fingers crossed he's not dealing with some minor elbow/shoulder/arm issue.
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Jul 29, 2012 at 09:27 »

Fingers crossed he's not dealing with some minor elbow/shoulder/arm issue.

Seems to me it's more like an innings issue.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Y2Joyce
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Jul 29, 2012 at 20:30 »

I kinda like the idea of the idea of Correia spot starting for everyone except Burnett, and Juan D. Rodriguez (until we see what he's got).  Seems to me like they could all use a bit of extra rest.

I could care less about the Pirates. However it'd be nice to have them win. My sister who DGAF about sports, compared to the rest of us, loves the Pirates. Bought me a sick ass 59/50 in Penguin-style Vegas gold for Christmas. I've floated her and her fiancee a few tickets because I just get drunk and look the girls. She roots for them like the typical retard Pirate fan. "raise it! Cutch! Pedro! Etc" but the best thing ever was when I got the "Pirates got Juan D. Rodriguez I heard!!!!" text. Surely that's not how you came to that but strange coincidence.

Steelers 58-15 when I am in attendance.
DrRockit
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #16 on: Jul 30, 2012 at 06:06 »

I hope that's all it is.  Yesterday was abysmal.

Jim Palmer threw 25 complete games (10 shutouts) in 1975 and MacDonald's arm is tired by late July?
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #17 on: Jul 30, 2012 at 11:50 »

I hope that's all it is.  Yesterday was abysmal.

Jim Palmer threw 25 complete games (10 shutouts) in 1975 and MacDonald's arm is tired by late July?

Yes, men were tougher in days of yore.

McDonald is just learning how to pitch, IMO.  I guess I kind of misspoke above-- not an innings issue as much as a work issue.  In his last 3 or 4 starts McDonald had thrown over five or six what he threw over 7 or 8 earlier in the season.  He looks like he did last year again.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #18 on: Jul 31, 2012 at 09:56 »

And Bad Deal Neal trades Lincoln for a minor leaguer.  This kid better hit and hit starting tonight.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
DrRockit
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #19 on: Jul 31, 2012 at 10:38 »

I agree.  This trade kind of turned my stomach.  Lincoln was a Pirate, and this year it was really a pleasure to follow his development.  I remember watching his debut one afternoon, two summers ago, alone in a bar on the south side.  We got smoked by Stausberg and the Nationals (also SS's debut).

I know Lincoln underperformed as a starter this year.  2 bad starts, one good start, and they moved him back to the pen.  He has pitched excellently in relief.

Looking at our pen:
Cruz started well but has been shaky for a month+.
Resop has been shaky at least that long.  I expected much more from him this year.
Watson has been unremarkable.  I watch most of every game and can barely remember him pitching.
Grilli has been excellent, though since the all star break he stumbled at least once.
Hanrahan, aka the cardiac kid, gets the job done but not without putting the go ahead run on base.  I would not be surprised to see a major melt-down at some point this season.  Even my mother thinks he's lost his edge.
Lincoln had the best ERA in the majors among relievers with 30+ innings........

I had come to see Lincoln as a valuable utility pitcher.  A starter gets injured or just plain loses it and he could step in.  Hanrahan goes down and Lincoln could have closed.  Otherwise there's nothing wrong with strong mid relief. 

I really hope they know something I don't, because it feels like we traded Lincoln for another Presley/Tabada type.  (I haven't given up on Presley yet, but we need a bat NOW.)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 5  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: