Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 22, 2014 at 15:24 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Pirates  (Read 6606 times)
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #20 on: Jul 31, 2012 at 11:33 »

I really hope they know something I don't, because it feels like we traded Lincoln for another Presley/Tabada type.  (I haven't given up on Presley yet, but we need a bat NOW.)

I agree with all that you said except this.  Whatever Snider is, he's not going to bat leadoff like both Tabata and Presley were *supposed* to.  From what I've seen of his numbers (too lazy to post links) his hitting profile is similar to Jones or Alvarez.  If we get that kind of production outta this guy for the next 4 years, fine, I guess.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #21 on: Jul 31, 2012 at 14:36 »

Pirates get Gaby Sanchez for Gorkys Hernandez, who had a sweet glove but couldn't hit a lick.  I love this deal in a vacuum, but with Snider presumably taking over one of the corner OF spots, where in hell is Jones gonna play?

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #22 on: Jul 31, 2012 at 17:51 »

I like the deal.  Snider is a guy who has always slugged well and should benefit from playing in PNC as a lefty. At 24 years old he is only 8 months older than Marte so there is alot of room for improvement.  He'll get the chance to play every day here.  These guys still don't get on base as much as I'd like, but should hit alot of homeruns from here on out.  I also like the offensive core of:

Pedro
Cutch
Walker
Marte
Snider
McHenry (hell why not)

All are very young in baseball terms.

I liked Lincoln as a reliever, but any time you can trade a relief pitcher for an every day player with upside, you have to do it.  hell, I'd trade Hanrahan if it meant they could upgrade the lineup somewhere.  Now, as for the other 2 trades today, Bleh.
DrRockit
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #23 on: Aug 02, 2012 at 04:00 »

Is Marte supposed to be a bunter?  He seems to give away a lot of early strikes with weak bunt attempts.

One more bad start and Bedard will either be sat down or released.  One way or the other KC will be starting again by the end of August.  Let's hope he doesn't suck again too.

Later edit:
I think that knee injury bothered Barajas more than he's let on.  He was hitting pretty well (relatively) up until then, but since then he's sucked.

Double edit during the friday game:
All this talk about trades etc.  Blah, blah, blah.  Not one word was said in the media about trying to address our real weakness.  Clint "the dribbler" Barmes.  He's terrible.  I honestly can't remember the last time he made solid contact with the ball.  I'd rather have Jmac at the plate.  And at some point his fielding the ball to the side is going to cost us a run.
« Last Edit: Aug 03, 2012 at 19:38 by DrRockit » Logged
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #24 on: Aug 06, 2012 at 09:56 »

I really wanted to see us throw at a Red or two yesterday, but now I'm glad we didn't.  The umpiring was borderline criminal though.  I thought warnings had been issued and then they hit two pirates and nothing happens?  Huh?

"I don't understand why any single guy wouldn't want to be a wedding planner.  Free cake, free booze and all the drunk chicks you can handle."-- Chukky Okobi

A shabby Charlie Brown.
DrRockit
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #25 on: Aug 09, 2012 at 07:13 »

Snider looks to have potential, but for the remainder of this season I'd rather have Lincoln back.  My confidence in our bullpen is way down.  7th inning of a playoff game and I'd not exactly be ecstatic about having Qualls come in.
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #26 on: Aug 09, 2012 at 08:54 »

Yes, there's no doubt that Qualls is a definite downgrade.  And it doesn't help either that Grilli has looked his age since the all-star break.  Let's see what Locke can do in the Lincoln role.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
DrRockit
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #27 on: Aug 09, 2012 at 10:18 »

It's funny because in German 'Qual' means suffering or agony.  That's what I feel when I see him jogging to the mound!

Plus, he still gives off the stench of the Yankees.
« Last Edit: Aug 09, 2012 at 10:26 by DrRockit » Logged
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #28 on: Aug 09, 2012 at 11:27 »

7th inning of a playoff game and I'd not exactly be ecstatic about having Qualls come in.

Sounds like it would be a nice problem to have...

That stench is one of the reasons why they're 16 games over .500.  Cool

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
DrRockit
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #29 on: Aug 10, 2012 at 18:01 »

That stench is one of the reasons why they're 16 games over .500.  Cool
[/quote]

Actually, Brad Lincoln pitching excellently in relief all season is one of the reasons why they're 16 games over .500.  Don't worry though, Cruz will be back soon.  I can almost remember the last time he pitched well.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: