Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 22, 2014 at 03:40 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AB extended  (Read 3135 times)
VanWilder
Making mulch, Fin.
Old School Member

« on: Jul 27, 2012 at 18:36 »

Steelers sign WR Antonio Brown to five-year, $42.5 million extension, per league source. @ProFootballTalk Steelers sign WR Antonio Brown to five-year, $42.5 million extension, per league source.

Mike better get his ass to camp.

and when the gas runs out, just wreck it, you've insured the thing.  -Soul Coughing
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #1 on: Jul 27, 2012 at 18:40 »

That's a message.  And the message might be, "We *were* interested.  Now?  Not so much."

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
VanWilder
Making mulch, Fin.
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Jul 27, 2012 at 19:36 »

Nothing would suprise me at this point.  Wallace could show up, & still get a deal.  Or they could trade him...in any case, the FO sent a clear message of, "We're moving on with or without you Mikey".

Strange they extended him with 2 years left...last time was with Maddox, correct?  I think Brown might've just got some of Wallaces bread, lol.

and when the gas runs out, just wreck it, you've insured the thing.  -Soul Coughing
jasonic
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #3 on: Jul 27, 2012 at 19:38 »

I sense a pattern....plax, holmes, wallace.  still...we'll see but apparently, don't pull this shit on the steeler FO    icon_rr

"If you make every game a life and death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot."
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Jul 27, 2012 at 20:46 »

I sense a pattern....plax, holmes, wallace.  still...we'll see but apparently, don't pull this shit on the steeler FO    icon_rr

Depends on what you mean by "this shit".  Ward pulled it and everything came out ok there.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
jasonic

« Reply #5 on: Jul 27, 2012 at 21:03 »

wallace isn't ward.  he was the only one to do the holdout move and by then he was you know, Ward.

they offered wallace 5/50.  what does he want?

"If you make every game a life and death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot."
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Jul 27, 2012 at 22:13 »

I have a weird feeling with this one, folks.  First, pulling the deal and making Wally sign the tender.  Then the AB deal.  Could still deal with Wally, but seems like they're moving ahead with or without.  Smells funny.  Winds have changed.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
jasonic

« Reply #7 on: Jul 27, 2012 at 23:12 »

Not a bad move I think considering that no team sniffed him while he put himself out there and now with signing AB, they've put some underlying pressure and a message to him to show up and then deals get done.  If he doesn't sign he sits so they've also made him decide to swallow his pride a little and become a team player because they could franchise him and have his rights for next year as well so the longer he sits the less his deal will become no matter where he goes.  Kind of genius as usual by the FO, it's like, "we have you and if you want to play games (esp. considering the reports it was Wallace not his agent making the call here) we can play them better than you." 

Basically, he can sign the 2.7 mill tender and have a killer year and THEN get paid, right??  If so, the FO played it very well IMO.  Didn't see this coming....

Since the AB deal is backloaded, they also seem to have enough room to sign Wallace but not for an astronomical deal, which is also nice.   hmmmm, should be interesting this week!

VanWilder
Making mulch, Fin.
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Jul 27, 2012 at 23:14 »

wallace isn't ward.  he was the only one to do the holdout move and by then he was you know, Ward.

they offered wallace 5/50.  what does he want?

More than that, I guess...to which I say to MW...Fuck off, You're fast but you're not a true #1.  Thanks for your time.  AB will catch you up on how to be a pro.

LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Jul 28, 2012 at 04:11 »

Even more interesting... I didn't realize that Drew Rosenhaus was AB's agent.  And that Rosenhaus made such a reasonable deal with the Steelers without involving some sort of a holdout or drama. Doesn't seem Rosenhaus's style.

Have to believe that the individual players made some personal choices in directing their representatives.   AB seems much more the team player, eh?

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #10 on: Jul 28, 2012 at 08:56 »

Fuck it. Make him play out the tender then franchise him next year. Have fun waiting 2 more years before you cash in on the FA market shit head.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Jul 28, 2012 at 09:24 »

Fuck it. Make him play out the tender then franchise him next year. Have fun waiting 2 more years before you cash in on the FA market shit head.

Yeah, I thought Wallace would come to his senses but apparently jasonic was right, he's bought into his own hype.  You could tell from Tomlin's comments that he was pissed, and I don't blame him.  Tomlin's done everything a coach could do to make Wallace a complete player, but MW seems intent on not listening and cashing out at his first opportunity.  It's been a long time since we've seen a player so badly mismanage his own career.  Mike Merriweather, anyone?

A shabby Charlie Brown.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #12 on: Jul 28, 2012 at 10:06 »

Even more interesting... I didn't realize that Drew Rosenhaus was AB's agent.  And that Rosenhaus made such a reasonable deal with the Steelers without involving some sort of a holdout or drama. Doesn't seem Rosenhaus's style.

Have to believe that the individual players made some personal choices in directing their representatives.   AB seems much more the team player, eh?

ABsolutely.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Jul 28, 2012 at 18:47 »

PFT reporting via locals that Wally wants ~5/$55 w/ $26 guaranteed.  Given that AB got 5/$42, I think the FO is telling Wallace that $50s won't get it done, it has to be 5/$40s, and likely less than $26 guaranteed. 

They've pushed this to the limit.  But if we trade him for a fucking R4 only, I'll be greatly pissed.  Hell, make him sign the tender or sit, fuck the R4.

SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Jul 29, 2012 at 07:46 »

If he left via FA, we would likely get a 3rd round comp pick so I think Eddy B's notion of trading for a 4th rounder makes little sense

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Jul 29, 2012 at 11:05 »

But if we trade him for a fucking R4 only, I'll be greatly pissed.  Hell, make him sign the tender or sit, fuck the R4.

They've played their cards right to this point.  Doing that would be a major fuckup.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
kluisi61
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Jul 30, 2012 at 06:06 »

Depends on what you mean by "this shit".  Ward pulled it and everything came out ok there.

Even Ward realized that he had to get back to camp to get anything done. It worked out for Ward because he eventually realized that he had to come back for the team in order for the team to do anything for him. I'm not seeing that happening in this case.

OK Chris. Now that we have practiced kissing and cuddling, we'll practice eating out...at a fancy restaurant.

- Lois Griffin

-----------------

Goal Line Blitz - Football player and team simulator...Very Fun.

Fallen Sword - MMORPG that is very fun. No ads and it's free.

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #17 on: Jul 30, 2012 at 08:36 »

Plaximo:Ward :: Wallace:Brown

Just try not to shoot yourself on the way out, kid.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #18 on: Jul 30, 2012 at 08:46 »

:DoctorJohnnyFever:
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #19 on: Jul 30, 2012 at 11:05 »

:DoctorJohnnyFever:

DR; JOHNNY ROTTEN WAS RIGHT DOOFUST, IF WE HALF DONE THE SMART THINGE AND TRADIT WART WHEN HE HAD ANY VALYUE LEFT WE WOOD HALF A WIDE ASSEIVER NOW THAT COUD LET US FOGERT ABOUT MICK WALLEYES.  THE PROBLEM IS NOW WITH SANTONIO BROWN SURE, HE;S HAPPY NOW, BUT WHAT HAPPENS NEXT YEAR WHEN HE WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE, HMM MAYBE I SHOOT HALF GOT A BIGGER DEAL >>>>>>>>I SMELL A HOLDOUT IN 2031<<<<<<<<<<<

wHEREASS IF MICK WALLEYE GETS A BIGGER DEAL, HE WON'T BE SMELLIN NO COFFEY AND 2031 WE'LL BE SINGEING THE PRASSES OF WALLEYE AND CURSING DANTONIO BROWN, OWE, HOW THEW TABBLES HAVE TURN!!!!!!  KARMASS A BITCH!!!!!

IF DR. JOURNEY ROTTEN WAS HERE HE'D SPEAKING WORDS OF WISDON, I BET HE'D BE ABBLE TO POINT TO A PLAYER WE SHOULD TRADE NOW BUT EVER ONE WOULD CRAP ON ROTTEN NOW KJUST LIKE THE Y DID THEN.  A$$ZH*LES/

give'emthaboot
Old School Member

« Reply #20 on: Jul 30, 2012 at 11:16 »

Well at least we know there won't be any WR drama next off-season.  AB is the better all-around receiver so I love this deal.  Most are quick to point out the TD discrepancy between Wallace and AB, and incorrectly correlating that Wallace is the better receiver because of it.  Had AB not stepped up last year and made all the great underneath catches, Wallace's TD total would have likely been cut in half.

I really hope something can get done and we have Wallace and Brown on this team for the next 5 years, but it seems with each passing day that isn't going to happen.

'Oh, my, James Harrison is not going to the White House, he must be a devil worshiper!'
kluisi61
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #21 on: Jul 30, 2012 at 12:13 »

Well at least we know there won't be any WR drama next off-season.  AB is the better all-around receiver so I love this deal.  Most are quick to point out the TD discrepancy between Wallace and AB, and incorrectly correlating that Wallace is the better receiver because of it.  Had AB not stepped up last year and made all the great underneath catches, Wallace's TD total would have likely been cut in half.

I'm hoping (though I fear that it is true to some extent) that AB didn't make all of the underneath catches because Wallace was opening them up with his deep speed. We'll find out early in the year unless MW gets his head on straight and reports.

OK Chris. Now that we have practiced kissing and cuddling, we'll practice eating out...at a fancy restaurant.

- Lois Griffin

-----------------

Goal Line Blitz - Football player and team simulator...Very Fun.

Fallen Sword - MMORPG that is very fun. No ads and it's free.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #22 on: Jul 30, 2012 at 14:53 »

One wild card is Manny Sanders.  I do think there is some degree of Wallace opening up the underneath, but Sanders is a similar kind of receiver to Brown.  If he can stay healthy and be productive, then having two guys with that skill set could be something Haley exploits.   He wants to implement a quick-hitter passing game, which would work very well with AB and ES.

VanWilder
Making mulch, Fin.
Old School Member

« Reply #23 on: Jul 30, 2012 at 17:58 »

Sanders has nowhere near the deep speed as Wallace.  Wallace requires Safety help EVERY snap, leaving Brown 1 on 1.  I like Brown as much as the next guy, but his job just got a fuckton harder if Wallace doesn't show till week 10.  Here's hoping he earns that new deal.

That said, I like our group better with AB, Cotch & Sanders than I did with Ward, ARE & Wilson.  We all know how that turned out.
« Last Edit: Jul 30, 2012 at 18:11 by VanWilder » Logged

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #24 on: Jul 30, 2012 at 19:36 »

Sanders has nowhere near the deep speed as Wallace.  Wallace requires Safety help EVERY snap, leaving Brown 1 on 1.  

Yeah, I didn't say Sanders has Wallace type speed.  My point is that mismatches can be created in more ways than stretching the field.  Having Sanders and AB, who can run every route on the tree, can create confusion and mismatches in coverage if Haley plays his schemes right.

No question though that AB's (and ES's) job is easier with an elite speed guy blowing the cover off.  Still want Wallace on the team, no hard feelings, love yer pointy head, mon.

VanWilder
Making mulch, Fin.
Old School Member

« Reply #25 on: Jul 30, 2012 at 19:55 »

Sanders has nowhere near the deep speed as Wallace.  Wallace requires Safety help EVERY snap, leaving Brown 1 on 1.  

Yeah, I didn't say Sanders has Wallace type speed.  My point is that mismatches can be created in more ways than stretching the field.  Having Sanders and AB, who can run every route on the tree, can create confusion and mismatches in coverage if Haley plays his schemes right.

No question though that AB's (and ES's) job is easier with an elite speed guy blowing the cover off.  Still want Wallace on the team, no hard feelings, love yer pointy head, mon.

My point was, w/o Wallace it'll be a hell of alot harder...as too your point, that's alot of if's.  IF Sanders stays healthy, If they even get the route concepts of a new OC, If Brown shows he's #1 capable.  It's not impossible, as I said, it's far more productive for the entire O if Wallace gets his ass to Latrobe.

VanWilder
Making mulch, Fin.
Old School Member

« Reply #26 on: Jul 30, 2012 at 20:14 »

"love yer pointy head, mon."

He looks like a Hershey Kiss for sure, lol.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #27 on: Jul 31, 2012 at 06:34 »

Yeah, I didn't say Sanders has Wallace type speed.  My point is that mismatches can be created in more ways than stretching the field.  Having Sanders and AB, who can run every route on the tree, can create confusion and mismatches in coverage if Haley plays his schemes right.

No question though that AB's (and ES's) job is easier with an elite speed guy blowing the cover off.  Still want Wallace on the team, no hard feelings, love yer pointy head, mon.

YEah, nor argument. 

Just get it done, boys...

My point was, w/o Wallace it'll be a hell of alot harder...as too your point, that's alot of if's.  IF Sanders stays healthy, If they even get the route concepts of a new OC, If Brown shows he's #1 capable.  It's not impossible, as I said, it's far more productive for the entire O if Wallace gets his ass to Latrobe.

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: