Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 01, 2014 at 10:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FB Will Johnson  (Read 959 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Aug 13, 2012 at 14:19 »

It looks like Todd Haley's new offense was going to use TE/FB David Johnson for most of its snaps... With DJ done for the year, here's a look at the guy who might replace him...

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #1 on: Aug 13, 2012 at 14:35 »

We'll see.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
kluisi61
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Aug 13, 2012 at 16:40 »

Wilson was asked if lead blocking is the most important aspect of Johnson’s job right now.

“It’s understanding and reading the defensive fronts, how to insert to your assignment,” Wilson said. “The key thing for a fullback is know what to do, know how to do it, and then do it very, very violently. He’s got that capability.”

I like that quote a lot.

“Most fullbacks are converted tailbacks so they know how to read a front, they know a best entry to get their assignment done, they know how to adjust on the run, and tight ends who are trying to adjust three or four plays a game at that position struggle with it,” Wilson said. “Heath is an exception because he’s done it so long now, but you don’t want to use one of the best tight ends in the NFL as your fullback lead-blocking on these big linebackers, so yeah they’re hard to find. Good ones are extremely hard to find. They’re very rare. We thought we had a couple that were good and now we’re down to one, unfortunately, and we’ll see what happens.”

Just in that one sentence, the stupidity of Arians has been removed. Not only do they seem to recognize the importance of a fullback, they realize that it's better to actually have a dedicated one rather than just lining up your TE there, AND they recognize that Heath could be one of the best TEs in the game.

And now from the department of we say this every year...Maybe we'll actually get to see Heath Miller turned loose this year.

OK Chris. Now that we have practiced kissing and cuddling, we'll practice eating out...at a fancy restaurant.

- Lois Griffin

-----------------

Goal Line Blitz - Football player and team simulator...Very Fun.

Fallen Sword - MMORPG that is very fun. No ads and it's free.

pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Aug 14, 2012 at 02:54 »

Wilson was asked if lead blocking is the most important aspect of Johnson’s job right now.

“It’s understanding and reading the defensive fronts, how to insert to your assignment,” Wilson said.

You go ahead and tell me that "how to insert your assignment" isn't shorthand for "Give the first guy you see in another color hat a concussion."  I've heard a "Do this or you don't make the team" speech or two in my day.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Aug 14, 2012 at 06:40 »

STYLERS TALK A PAIGE FROM TEH PARTIOTS HAM BOOK:  SINGE TIGEHT END//FOOBACK JUSSITIN PEALE NOW, WE HALF A DOZENS OR MORE TIGHET END!!!!!!!!!!

SUPPER BLOW HAIR, WE COMB!!!!!!!

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Aug 14, 2012 at 11:27 »

“It’s understanding and reading the defensive fronts, how to insert to your assignment,” Wilson said.

You go ahead and tell me that "how to insert your assignment" isn't shorthand for "Give the first guy you see in another color hat a concussion."  I've heard a "Do this or you don't make the team" speech or two in my day.

As much as I think that's a part of it, I also think that's oversimplifying it just a little.  Depending on the play, a FB might be asked to do more (seal an edge, kickout, stone a blitzing LB, lead the train on a toss, etc, etc.) than just pancake an opposing player.  The great ones are the players that can do more than just blast the purple pants wearing #52 in the A gap.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Aug 28, 2012 at 14:25 »

Chris Cooley? as Johnson's replacement?

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Aug 28, 2012 at 15:15 »

In a second.  Better than anyone we have except Miller.  If the knee checks out, let's go.  Be kinda like having Miller and Mini-Miller.

msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Aug 29, 2012 at 20:57 »

I'm sure Pats will be picking him up shortly.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Aug 30, 2012 at 06:49 »

I guess he's busy packing his junk... 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: