Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Aug 27, 2014 at 10:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MGS Get Healthy Challenge - 2014  (Read 4796 times)
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Apr 25, 2014 at 10:14 »

Was at 182lbs and down 0.5% BF this morning, which are the lowest for weight and BF since I've tracked.  I expect another swing upward as both weight and BF have yo-yo'd but have not been this low for either.   

Still doing heavy weight lifting 3 days a week.  Have moved back to the Insanity workouts during the week and will add to the weekend as well over at least the next few weeks.  Will keep doing treadmill on Sat and Sun

Goal is 3 weeks away via a family beach vacation week in SC; to have as low BF as I can.

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2014 at 19:56 »

Down to 179# this morning and down another 0.5% BF.

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Jun 04, 2014 at 16:06 »

Was able to drop another 1/2% BF and down to 177#. 

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #13 on: Jun 09, 2014 at 11:43 »

I gained 20 lbs over the winter.  All it took was not being maniacally diligent about sugar.  And I had to quit exercising after the wreck, just too sore.  I'm slowly getting back into it now.  But I've always been a fluctuater, hitting the breaks quicker this time.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Jun 24, 2014 at 11:32 »

Been in something of a rut.  Added 10# over winter, not coming off despite still running.

Got my cholesterol test results back, all levels good or ideal, and all ratios ideal.

TC/HDL (should be <5.0, ideal is <3.5):  3.2
HDL/LDL: (should be > 0.3, ideal is > 0.4): 0.53
TG/HDL (should be <4.0, ideal <2.0): 1.549

So, yay, eating well.

50 in ~ a month.  Just had a HS classmate die, which is always a nice reminder of mortality.

Also, was scanning wedding pics of parents, realized I'm the same age as grandparents in those pics.

But, no aches, no pains, no illness, good energy, just need to drop some weight.  Same old same old. 

Was tearing out some old raised beds and was bending rebar around my neck like a circus performer, much to Mrs. Finny's amusement. Does that count as exercise?

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Jun 24, 2014 at 12:51 »

But, no aches, no pains, no illness, good energy, just need to drop some weight.  Same old same old. 

That's good to hear.  Don't downplay it.  Big accomplishment.

Wanna lose weight?  You eat a lot of bread?

Was tearing out some old raised beds and was bending rebar around my neck like a circus performer, much to Mrs. Finny's amusement. Does that count as exercise?

No, but it does sound like a possible second source of income.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Jun 24, 2014 at 14:05 »

The last few years I've cut way, way back on bread and refined grains.  IMO, 3 things you can reduce or eliminate to optimize health:

1. PUFAs.  We're told that we should avoid saturated fats (SFAs) and eat unsaturated fats, but SFAs are least prone to oxidation, monounsaturated fats (MUFAS; e.g. olive oil, avocados) are nearly as stable, while polyunsaturated fats (PUFAs) oxidize rapidly, and are especially poor as cooking mediums (unless you want to consume free radicals almost on the order of eating trans fats).  So, no "vegetable" oils or commercial seed oils:  soybean oil, corn oil, "vegetable oil," shortenings, cottonseed oil, sunflower oil, safflower (unless high oleic) oil, canola oil, or other nut oils.  Anything with a high omega-6 content will lead to chronic inflammation and disease.  (And whole omega-3 is anti-inflammatory, I avoid fish oils or any foods with added omega-3s, as they are even more easily oxidized than omega-6: eat fish instead.)

Canola oil is actually low in PUFA and high in omega-9 oleic acid, but it is often up to 4% trans fat from processing before you even expose it to heat; it's processed with hexane and bleaches; pass.

2. Refined sugars.  Sugar is the current dietary whipping boy.  All starches digest to glucose, so we tend to demonize whole foods with sugar like potatoes.  But the bad agents are refined sugars, not fruits, not starchy vegetables:  the sugars in whole foods come with nutrients and fiber.  If the sugar is acellular, like table sugar, high fructose corn syrup (HFCS), agave syrup (terrible, yet sold as a health food!), etc., you're just jacking your system with sugar.  (HFCS and sucrose are not much different in composition, but HFCS is snuck into more foods as a cheap additive.)  I use a little honey or maple syrup or molasses as additives, but not much: honey to plain yogurt, molasses to marinades.  But we've cut way back on sugars not from fruits or vegetables.

3. Refined grains.  The other dietary whipping boy is gluten, but just avoid refined grains.  I don't really use many whole grains, either.  Don't need to.  Meats, fish, eggs, vegetables and fruit are just as nutritious and full of fiber.  Refined, acellular grains (anything milled or processed, like instant oatmeal) has lost most or all of its value and is just another sugar bomb.  Sure, these "healthy whole grains" get fortified with nutrients, with questionable efficacy of uptake by the body.  The one exception to this that I've allowed (reading The Perfect Health Diet) has been inclusion of white rice about once a week.  And if I have a piece of pizza once a week, that's my 80/20 rule, the occasional splurge.  We used to go through a loaf or two of bread a week and lots of pasta.  And Kashi.  No more.

We eat a ton of veggies.  Since Mrs. F is pescetarian, we eat maybe a third of our meals lacato-ovo vegetarian, a third pescetarian, and I might eat meats a third of the time.  It varies, depends on the season, what I feel like making. 

No, the weight gain and unwillingness to come off is basically correlated to alcohol.  Period.  It's my Achilles heel.

Observations of fellow HS class of '82:  the women usually look pretty good and the men look like shit.  It's increasingly clear why we die earlier, we're in shittier shape.  Diet?  Exercise?  Stress?  Sleep?  All of the above?  Guys from my class are almost always 1) overweight 2) white - it's crazy how grayed out they are, although my percentage of gray is rising alarmingly, and 3) smallish.  Smallish?  Yeah, like they're shrinking or some shit.  I feel like I dwarf them, with few exceptions.  They always have the same look of dawning recognition:  oh, you used to have hair... and be the pencil-necked geek...

Stress is a big thing.  From about 2004-08 the job sent me home every day with a chest full of stress.  Now, even my worst days are better than that.  And as much as I hate to admit it, I've mellowed a bit over the years.  I just don't get upset about stuff, idiot drivers being the exception. 

The rebar trick was easy.  Any noodle arm can take a 3' or 4' piece of rebar and bend it with their bare hands.  Bending it around your neck just looks like a circus strongman stunt.  I hire out for parties, if anyone's interested...

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: