Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 02, 2014 at 14:49 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Get out of your comfort zone much?  (Read 8120 times)
whitmer_87
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #10 on: Aug 24, 2012 at 03:24 »

Oh, I had no idea.  Stand up eh? Are you talking, quit the straight job and started touring the country doing stand up or you talking open mike night?  Thanks for the words of encouragement.  I did sign up, the class starts on 9/1.

No worries! I'm sure you'll really enjoy improv. I started doing stand up in New York with open mics, and have since moved to bar shows. Still in New York, trying to pass at clubs. It usually takes a comic about 5-10 years to get good enough to play all over the country(Or to even start getting paid).

Improv is a different animal obviously. They always tell you to never try to tell jokes. Which goes against all the survival instincts I've developed doing stand up... Which is probably why I should take an improv class. haha Anyway, good luck and let me know how it goes.
« Last Edit: Aug 24, 2012 at 03:30 by whitmer_87 » Logged

"The duty of the comedian is to find out where the line is drawn, and cross it deliberately."-George Carlin
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #11 on: Sep 01, 2012 at 17:42 »

First class was a blast!  Small though, only 5 students so we got more reps of the games and skits.  I need work though, sometimes my mind would simply freeze on the stage.  Yes, stage, students are tossed into the fire.  First there were games, everyone in a circle, a word or phrase is said and you have to build on it and play off the person before you.  The two-person scenes are tough though.  Still need to loosen up the brain and let it flow, I suppose it's a matter of repetition. One game I enjoyed, "The Expert," required one person to stand in the center of the circle and playing it straight, tell why they were the leading expert on X and then field questions from the other students.  That was pretty easy, even if my heart was hitting 120 bpm.

But man, when we all stood to the side of the stage then took the center, two at a time to do the scenes, performing only for the instructor, my mind slowed down.  She'd say a word and we took it from there.  It's not easy, but it's doable.  Just a matter of learning and letting the mind relax, remember the rules - don't ask questions, work on the relationship between the characters, move the scene forward, give your partner something to work with, build on what they say, etc - and let it flow.  I was having flow problems.

But it was fun.  Plus, students get free access to shows.  I'm going to see my instructor perform tonight.
« Last Edit: Sep 01, 2012 at 17:45 by jonzr » Logged

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Sep 01, 2012 at 18:28 »

So you're saying the class is a real 'keeper' then?

A shabby Charlie Brown.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #13 on: Sep 01, 2012 at 19:26 »

Tis a keeper, indeed.  Heading out shortly to see the pros. One of the guys was younger, hell, let's face it, all the other students were younger, but one guy didn't know who Cher was and had never heard of Green Acres.  Serially.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Sep 01, 2012 at 22:39 »

I was having flow problems.

Luckily, there's a pill for everything these days.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
kluisi61
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Sep 02, 2012 at 10:33 »

So you're saying the class is a real 'keeper' then?

Hopefully the instructor remembers to assign them before the next class. Smiley

OK Chris. Now that we have practiced kissing and cuddling, we'll practice eating out...at a fancy restaurant.

- Lois Griffin

-----------------

Goal Line Blitz - Football player and team simulator...Very Fun.

Fallen Sword - MMORPG that is very fun. No ads and it's free.

otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Sep 02, 2012 at 11:30 »

Jonzr,
You're almost going to have to get back on the sauce to realize your true potential for this class.
Just to take the edge off. Somewhere between sober and stadium death fall.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #17 on: Sep 19, 2012 at 10:10 »

Three classes in and I'm still loving it.  Can't say I'm great at it, but I'm doing it.  And I have a new appreciation for the people who do it well.  There's an Improv Jam on Wednesdays (think open mic for improv) where anyone who wants can jump on stage with the seasoned performers.  I may go observe tonight, some of my classmates are supposed to go.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #18 on: Sep 19, 2012 at 10:24 »

Good read, btw.  A bit of the history of improv and some of the gooey stuff that goes into it.

« Last Edit: Sep 19, 2012 at 10:27 by jonzr » Logged

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #19 on: Sep 20, 2012 at 08:51 »

Got on stage last night.  It was a fright.  But I'm alright. Seriously though, I got into a few scenes and managed to squeeze out some lines.  When we went back up later I had nothing and stuck to the side.  But it was a blast.  I will do that again and again until the words finally begin to flow.  I truly believe it's a matter of practice and the willingness to fail and not be overly self conscious of it.  That's my primary barrier and it's slowly coming down.  Matter of time.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: