Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 01, 2014 at 07:02 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Get out of your comfort zone much?  (Read 8651 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #20 on: Sep 20, 2012 at 13:40 »

Well, like, tell us what you did. 

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #21 on: Sep 20, 2012 at 21:13 »

The first scene I was in there were 8 of us on stage, I believe two of the performers were experienced.  They started talking, indicating we were in a board room and were in a brain storming session.  But, only those two were storming.  So one of the guys says, "Well let's see what Paul thinks, I'll bet he has an idea."  And the other guy says, "Paul always has something."  And they're looking in my general direction.  Then the first guy looked right at me and said, "Yeah, YOU'RE Paul."  

So I start babbling about a some stupid shit about a sitcom where the people are trying to learn improv (DOH!) and then somebody else chimes in with monkeys in space.  And I say, yeah, but can the monkeys learn to do improv?  

It wasn't funny unless you were laughing AT us.  

That was the extent of my speaking.  In class we do two-person scenes, there are 7 of us plus the instructor and her assistant.  There were about 40-50 people in the room last night, many of them performers I've paid to see before.  But man, it was a blast.  

The next round I was in a different group and could think of nothing to say or do, so I just stayed off to the side.  

That's what the troupe does, half the people on each side of the stage, two chairs in the center.  Some people walk out and start a scene.  Others walk in as they feel the urge to contribute.

I'll be going back for the jams though.  It has to get easier.  (repeating to self)

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #22 on: Sep 21, 2012 at 14:22 »

Sounds better and probably got a bigger rise out of the crowd than Swans Screwing in a Bush.

As long as you're enjoying it, keep it up, man.  Takes balls.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #23 on: Oct 04, 2012 at 10:23 »

Another Jam under the belt.  It's getting to be more comfortable.  Not as many people there last night, I guess folks stayed home for the debate?  Really?  Got into a couple of scenes, said a few lines, nothing particularly memorable.  Saw some pretty funny stuff though.  It's a good perspective to be on the stage with the experienced performers. 

So, getting more comfortable.  Still working on that whole thinking part.  Gotta stop doing it and simply react.  I still believe it will come with reps.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #24 on: Oct 04, 2012 at 11:00 »

So, getting more comfortable.  Still working on that whole thinking part.  Gotta stop doing it and simply react.  I still believe it will come with reps.

Hey, getting into the best shape of your career doesn't happen overnight.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #25 on: Oct 11, 2012 at 13:18 »

Another jam last night.  I can say this, it no longer bothers me to stand on the stage and struggle for something to say.  Or it bothers me way less.  Got in a few lines before getting tapped out by one of the house players.  Still learning.  Our public "showcase" for completion of Level 1 is this Sunday, I'll let y'all know how that goes.  Two of our seven can't make it, more for the rest!

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #26 on: Oct 15, 2012 at 10:03 »

This was after our set yesterday, we did about 25 minutes and it was a blast.  All but one of us made it, the person who missed got free tickets to Austin City Limits and couldn't turn it down.  We did a bunch of two-person scenes b/c that's what you do in level 1.  Some psycho in the audience yelled the word "rampart" for our word.  Really!?  Rampart!

I'm the guy in the blue shirt.  

« Last Edit: Oct 15, 2012 at 10:09 by jonzr » Logged

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #27 on: Feb 26, 2013 at 11:00 »

Yup, I'm still taking the classes and it's still a blast.  We had our L3 showcase this past Sunday.  I'm still learning and managed to make a few contributions.

I'm the guy kneeling next to the redhead, covering my junk for some reason.  We have a good group with some consistently funny people.  I'm still not one of them, but there are moments!

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #28 on: Mar 09, 2013 at 17:52 »

Off to do my first real show.  And by that I mean, not a student end-of-class showcase where your friends and family are obligated to laugh and clap.  This is a troupe made up of a student from each level and a couple of instructors.  I feel strangely calm.  Rather, strangely, I feel calm. Saturday nights, early show for the month of March.  Wheeeeeeeeee!

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Pain

« Reply #29 on: Mar 09, 2013 at 19:19 »

Have fun! Break a leg! Knock em dead!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: