Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 26, 2014 at 08:17 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Preseason Game #2-- IND@PIT, 8:00  (Read 1938 times)
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Aug 19, 2012 at 13:01 »

Points of innarest for me:

-- Running back
-- QB #3.  Can Johnson unseat one of the vets?
-- NT.  Can McLendon really be a legit starter?
-- The OL.  See the history of MGS posts 2005-2012.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Aug 19, 2012 at 16:28 »

HALLOW THUH GAEME IS ON AT 6;OO.  MAEBEE YO GOTE MUGEDD ANDE CAENTE REMIMBAR WENH THUHE GUME ISE ONN YAH JAEKWAGGOON.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Aug 19, 2012 at 18:11 »

Points of innarest for me:

-- Running back
-- QB #3.  Can Johnson unseat one of the vets?
-- NT.  Can McLendon really be a legit starter?
-- The OL.  See the history of MGS posts 2005-2012.

Not sure if Redman is 100%, might see a lot of Dwyer.  Which, at this point, would be a good idea.
No.
Yes.
Work in progress, finally, FINALLY moving in a positive direction.  Starting lineup likely: Max-Willie-Pounce-DDC-Gilbert, mid-season Adams will get his shot.

OLB is a big area of concern, as is S (with Clark out W1), and some WR5 needs to win the job, tho 4-deep (assuming Wally) isn't dire straits.  Dire Straits, as we all know, suck.

Fine that the Haley O worked on specific D&D shit, running, dumpoffs, whatever.  For fun, throw us some fireworks, downfield action, if for no other reason than to show up BA.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Aug 19, 2012 at 22:01 »

Some quick points:

Overall, didn't like what I saw.  I know it's only the second preseason game, but nobody really looked sharp.  Even the 1s looked disinterested.  At least nobody suffered any serious injuries.

As to certain players, I'm not crazy about Rainey.  Small, shifty guys need to be fast AND elusive.  He's too busy trying to break tackles when he should be working on eluding them.  Maybe he should spend some time in the film room watching some of Percy Harvin's work.

I'm a little, not much, but a little more comfortable with RB.  Dwyer is OK.  Reminds me a lot of Mendy in stature without the spinning.  Batch is meh.  As long as Redman is ready to go against the Broncos, they'll be alright.

Ben didn't seem to be on the same page with his receivers.  Short of a toss or two, everything felt forced.  No rhythm.

O-line will take some time, but it's to be expected.  Lotta good talent there.

On the defensive side, they also appeared to be going through the motions.  Luck looked way too comfortable out there.  I know he good and all, but he's still a rookie.  He was able to find open receivers with relative ease.  One bad toss on the Ike pickle (hey, was that a catch??!!), but the other INT wasn't his fault.  The throw was off, but not deserving of an INT.  And, don't use the, "it was vanilla...didn't want to show them that much...blah, blah, blah..." argument.  I saw several zone blitzes, a bunch of stunts and even a couple of CB blitzes.  Sure didn't feel like Pittsburgh was holding back on defense.

Luck was down prior to breaking the plane.  One before that shoulda been a TD, tho.

Pretty sure that Arians actually looks fatter than he did 6 months ago.  With those Indy white ballcaps, he looks like a whitehead begging to be popped.

His name...is David Paulson.

Oh yeah, one other item, with these replacement refs out there, I'd be tellin' my guys to push the envelope on things like holds until they start callin' it.  Saw a bunch of instances where it looked like players were discreetly getting away with grabs, chucks, jersey pulls, etc.  Unless it's blatant, zebras probably aren't going to call it because they don't want to make a huge mistake and they know they're under the microscope.  Gotta play the situation.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Pain

« Reply #4 on: Aug 19, 2012 at 22:53 »

Luck was down prior to breaking the plane.  One before that shoulda been a TD, tho.

I agree with most of your points, except the one above. The first one was definitely not a TD, IMO...and, according to Collinsworth, the second one should not have been, but I don't know the rule about when/where a QB starts to slide and where the ball should be considered down...All I really know is that if too many of our 1st stringers get banged up, we are in some deep shit.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Aug 20, 2012 at 06:54 »

HIS NAME IS DAVID PAULSON.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #6 on: Aug 20, 2012 at 07:36 »

Are you saying Arians let his meat loaf?

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Aug 20, 2012 at 07:43 »

"That drive ended in a touchdown as well (run in by Luck on fourth and 1, a call that only offensive coordinator Bruce Arians would make)."

No Doubt.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Aug 20, 2012 at 08:37 »

I agree with most of your points, except the one above. The first one was definitely not a TD, IMO...and, according to Collinsworth, the second one should not have been, but I don't know the rule about when/where a QB starts to slide and where the ball should be considered down...All I really know is that if too many of our 1st stringers get banged up, we are in some deep shit.

I'll have to go back and look at the first play again.  Remember, it was called a TD and I don't recall seeing any clear and convincing evidence to overturn it.  Could be wrong.

As to the Luck TD, I've always thought the rule for when a QB slides feet first is that the QB is down where he began his slide with the ball being placed at that spot.  Didn't think ball location factored in that situation.  Either way, Luck clearly started his slide outside the EZ and the ball was nowhere near breaking the plane.

Oh, and as BV alluded to, nice call, Hairyarms.  Way to put the franchise on the line in a preseason game.  I'd fire his ass just for that call alone.

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Aug 20, 2012 at 08:56 »

Forgot to mention last night during my half asleep ramble...

Think the Colts made a nice find with Vick Ballard.  Solid value pick right thur.  Nice size, quick feet, runs hard.  Reminds me of Michael Turner...or maybe it's just the number, not sure.  Anyway, dude will be starting by Week 5 or so after Brown fizzles or gets injured.

I thought it was a given that Batch and Lefty would be the other two QBs on the roster.  Johnson is making a decent case to the contrary.

David Gilreath has better WR skills than Rainey.  Good hands, shifty, quick...important traits for a smurf WR.  Rainey might have a better 40 time, but I don't think he's a better player.  Wonder if Gilreath can return kickoffs/punts?

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: