Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 30, 2014 at 23:19 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Preseason Game #2-- IND@PIT, 8:00  (Read 2062 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Aug 20, 2012 at 09:34 »

Thought the starting OL looked pretty good.  Should be better with Max at LT, which I'm assuming we'll see next week at Buffalo.  It's going to take an injury for Mike Adams to start this year though, IMO. Figure we'll see the starters for a full half, so hope they get into something resembling a rhythm, albeit without Wally, Mendy, or Redman. 

Don't understand the Beachum hype from camp; looks like a bum at OT, looks like a bum at OG.  Flashback...

Quote from: Finny's 2012 draft guide
Quick-fire round:  SMU’s LT/OG Kelvin Beachum[/u], SMU’s OG Josh LeRibeus[/u], Cal (PA)’s Rishaw Johnson[/u], Rutgers’s Desmond Wynn [/u], Virginia Tech’s Jaymes Brooks[/u], Wake Forest’s Joe Looney[/u], Temple’s Derek Dennis[/u] all come to the same grade based on frame, LOC, injury issues, etc.  How many ways can I say “no?”  Nerr, nerl, gnerl, uh-nerr, nerr-again, naughty-knot nerr nerr, and ugnow.

Ryan Lee looked pretty good late, would like to see him switch with Beachum for reps earlier. 

Jerrod Johnson looked better than I expected him to.  Does he seem less... nervous?... than Dennis Dixon used to?  Still think he's unlikely to unseat either of the old fucks at QB, but could be worth developing and stowing on the practice squad.

Gilreath is definitely making a case for WR5.  I dunno, I'm liking Rainey, think he's a lock for the 53, see him getting a lot of looks in a Dexter McCluster kinda way.

Some decent blocking from Baron Batch, but not much running.  Also, Will Johnson appears OK blocking.  Wish Baron would show more pop as runner or receiver, but then again, our OL backups are the suck.  Jason Ford did pretty well as runner and blocker, especially since he was in for about a week.  Could be a nice practice squad guy as well, sort of like John Clay.

Also, on Ballard, I gave him a R5 value because I saw him as very similar to Redman, so the issue was less one of talent and more one of redundancy.  But agree that he could be the main man if/when Brown goes down.

Arians's head looked like 50 pounds of melting soap.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Aug 20, 2012 at 12:23 »

Luck was down prior to breaking the plane.  One before that shoulda been a TD, tho.

I agree with most of your points, except the one above. The first one was definitely not a TD, IMO...and, according to Collinsworth, the second one should not have been, but I don't know the rule about when/where a QB starts to slide and where the ball should be considered down...All I really know is that if too many of our 1st stringers get banged up, we are in some deep shit.

I'll have to go back and look at the first play again.  Remember, it was called a TD and I don't recall seeing any clear and convincing evidence to overturn it.  Could be wrong.

As to the Luck TD, I've always thought the rule for when a QB slides feet first is that the QB is down where he began his slide with the ball being placed at that spot.  Didn't think ball location factored in that situation.  Either way, Luck clearly started his slide outside the EZ and the ball was nowhere near breaking the plane.

Oh, and as BV alluded to, nice call, Hairyarms.  Way to put the franchise on the line in a preseason game.  I'd fire his ass just for that call alone.

It is where the ball is when the QB starts the slide, just like where the ball is when the knee is down.  If the knee is down at the 4, and the ball is carried in the gut area, the ball is down, say, at the 3.  If the slide starts at the half yard line, the ball is likely at about the 1.

Didn't hairy arms call a boot leg the first game after Ben's ankle injury near the goal line?  Don't get me started.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Aug 20, 2012 at 12:29 »

contained in a PG article:  "Coach Dick LeBeau always tells us to stay close to the receiver," Taylor said, "and when the ball comes your way you have to catch the ball.

That is some rocket science there in Taylor's mind.  I never would have guessed you cover a guy by staying close to him.  Weird!!!!!!  I hope Taylor isn't at the top of the defensive IQ list.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-up-14-0-after-first-quarter-649654/#ixzz246mVNMa2

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Aug 20, 2012 at 23:24 »

That is some rocket science there in Taylor's mind.  I never would have guessed you cover a guy by staying close to him.  Weird!!!!!!  I hope Taylor isn't at the top of the defensive IQ list.

Dude, Ike is dumb as a stump.  Didn't you know that?

A shabby Charlie Brown.
jasonic
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #14 on: Aug 21, 2012 at 10:30 »

that is hilarious.  Hall of Fame coaching there!!

"If you make every game a life and death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot."
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: