Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 25, 2014 at 11:17 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DeCastro gotta be flying high on PK's  (Read 2385 times)
VanWilder
Making mulch, Fin.
Old School Member

« on: Aug 26, 2012 at 17:03 »

Adam Schefter Twitter

August 26, 2012Steelers g David DeCastro dislocated his knee cap, tore his medial collateral ligament and suffered some damage to patellar tendon. But his anterior cruciate ligament is intact, according to sources and Steelers still are unsure if or when he will be able to return this season.

Damn that kid has to be in pain.  Glad it's not an ACL (again team plague), but a dislocated platella has got to be an ouch moment.  Saw a video of this same injury & them popping it back in. 

Nasty stuff.  Hearing 8 months but not a year like ACL injury.  The tendon damage might take awhile too.

and when the gas runs out, just wreck it, you've insured the thing.  -Soul Coughing
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Aug 27, 2012 at 09:50 »

ACL has a long recovery, but torn patellar tendon is not a cake injury.

Overview here.

Here's a pretty interesting PubMed study on NFL players and patellar tears.

Granted, this study was conducted between 1994-2004, and if PT tear procedures have kept pace with ACL procedures, there may be some dramatic difference to the results, but...

RESULTS: Eleven of the 24 injuries had antecedent symptoms. The most common mechanism of injury was an eccentric overload to a contracting extensor mechanism. Physical examination demonstrated a palpable defect in all players. Twenty-two were complete ruptures, and 2 were partial injuries. Three of the 24 cases had a concomitant anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injury. In 19 of the 24 injuries, the player returned to participate in at least 1 game in the NFL. Players who returned were drafted, on average, in the fourth round, while those who failed to return to play were drafted, on average, in the sixth round. Of those players who returned to play, the average number of games played was 45.4, with a range of 1 to 142 games.

So the average post-PT career is just <3 seasons, the far outlier max just <9.  Don't know if any of the players were as young as DDC, which, with advances to procedures may bode well.  But recent players who've suffered PTs (Caddy Williams, Ryan Clady) have shown noticeable dropoffs in production.  Also worth noting, Ben boitched about the FieldTurf, but more than just Ben bitchin':  Googlify NFL torn patellar tendon and you'll find a dozen guys whacked by this injury so far this year alone.  That's crazy.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Aug 27, 2012 at 11:53 »

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #3 on: Aug 27, 2012 at 13:17 »

Poor bastard.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
give'emthaboot
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Aug 27, 2012 at 14:39 »

Overview here.

Granted, this study was conducted between 1994-2004, and if PT tear procedures have kept pace with ACL procedures, there may be some dramatic difference to the results, but...

RESULTS: Eleven of the 24 injuries had antecedent symptoms. The most common mechanism of injury was an eccentric overload to a contracting extensor mechanism. Physical examination demonstrated a palpable defect in all players. Twenty-two were complete ruptures, and 2 were partial injuries. Three of the 24 cases had a concomitant anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injury. In 19 of the 24 injuries, the player returned to participate in at least 1 game in the NFL. Players who returned were drafted, on average, in the fourth round, while those who failed to return to play were drafted, on average, in the sixth round. Of those players who returned to play, the average number of games played was 45.4, with a range of 1 to 142 games.

So the average post-PT career is just <3 seasons, the far outlier max just <9.  Don't know if any of the players were as young as DDC, which, with advances to procedures may bode well.  But recent players who've suffered PTs (Caddy Williams, Ryan Clady) have shown noticeable dropoffs in production.  Also worth noting, Ben boitched about the FieldTurf, but more than just Ben bitchin':  Googlify NFL torn patellar tendon and you'll find a dozen guys whacked by this injury so far this year alone.  That's crazy.

Not exactly sure the extent of DDC's injury, but from everything I have read the PT wasn't completely torn in this case.  Sounds like some damage to the PT, a dislocated knee cap and an MCL tear.

PFT is saying he'll be out 3-5 months.  Of course its PFT, so you have to take that with a grain of salt.

Either way, I doubt he'll play this year, but hopefully he's able to bounce back and it's not as bad as that article Finny posted makes it out to be.

'Oh, my, James Harrison is not going to the White House, he must be a devil worshiper!'
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Aug 27, 2012 at 15:23 »

Steelers Depot now reporting no IR, surgery this week.  If it's an incomplete tear, that bodes well, or better.  MCL alone might put his return ~week 10, MCL + PT?  Not sure.  I'd start Foster as long as possible though and just keep DDC (even healthy) on the mend.

Really hoping this doesn't seriously derail this kid's career.  Wonders of medical science, maybe he/we get lucky.

scballersc

Saw Ben on Halloween (pre-Milledgeville)

« Reply #6 on: Aug 27, 2012 at 16:47 »

Overview here.

Well lets bank on the fact that this was (hopefully) a partial tear, that DDC's talent level is comparably higher than the players that were "pushed out" by the injury, that he is a rookie and a young one at that, and that he doesn't play a skill position like running back which has a considerably shorter half-life to begin with.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Aug 27, 2012 at 17:32 »

Well lets bank on the fact that this was (hopefully) a partial tear, that DDC's talent level is comparably higher than the players that were "pushed out" by the injury, that he is a rookie and a young one at that, and that he doesn't play a skill position like running back which has a considerably shorter half-life to begin with.

That's all hopefully true, but the question this season at least would be if he is pressed into duty, how much functional strength lost?  How much flexibility?  Still think they should rest him as much as possible.

Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #8 on: Aug 27, 2012 at 19:54 »

I agree. IR him. Let him heal. Let him learn the off the field schtuff. Then we have 2 first round picks next year.

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
VanWilder
Making mulch, Fin.
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Aug 28, 2012 at 08:28 »

encouraging news.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/on-the-steelers-decastros-injury-not-as-severe-as-first-feared-650769/

He was upbeat and his teammates believe they will see him playing again before the season ends.

"It's sad, man, to see that happen," center Maurkice Pouncey said of DeCastro's injury, which occurred in the first quarter of Saturday night's game in Buffalo. "But it's a good thing it ain't season-ending. He'll be able to fight back toward the end of the year. He doesn't look down about it. He's accepted what happened and ready to move forward with it."

Pouncey said that after talking to DeCastro the best news was his ACL wasn't torn as first suspected. "That was major," he said.

and when the gas runs out, just wreck it, you've insured the thing.  -Soul Coughing
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #10 on: Aug 28, 2012 at 10:02 »

That is good.  But if they're gonna go most of the season w/out DDC then why rush him back?

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Aug 28, 2012 at 11:43 »

I think they may be looking at late season depth at OL as having been our bane lately.  Think Pouncey out vs. GB.  At best, DDC comes back, starts, is Wonderboy.  At worst, our depth is upgraded.

scballersc

Saw Ben on Halloween (pre-Milledgeville)

« Reply #12 on: Aug 28, 2012 at 12:07 »

I think they may be looking at late season depth at OL as having been our bane lately.  Think Pouncey out vs. GB.  At best, DDC comes back, starts, is Wonderboy.  At worst, our depth is upgraded.

I agree with everything that has been said.  But does not putting DDC on IR mean that we will be playing the first 3/4 of the season with our usual depth chart of lineman that inexplicably only goes 6 or 7 bodies deep?  If this is so, please start getting Leonard Pope acclimated.
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Aug 29, 2012 at 20:55 »

Sucks in a big way.  I would be extremely reluctant to bring him back this year.  Would have to be full recovery for me.  Worth way too much to risk re-injury.

Don't mind keeping him off IR as long as other OL bodies are healthy, but if/when a couple drop out I'd consider IR for the roster spot.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Aug 30, 2012 at 06:48 »

Sucks in a big way.  I would be extremely reluctant to bring him back this year.  Would have to be full recovery for me.  Worth way too much to risk re-injury.

Don't mind keeping him off IR as long as other OL bodies are healthy, but if/when a couple drop out I'd consider IR for the roster spot.

Exactly.  Depends on timing of injuries, should they occur.  If very late in season, DDC is in play (potentially).  If earlier, just IR DDC and get some schlubs in via the FA pipeline or off PS. 

Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #15 on: Aug 30, 2012 at 09:54 »

DeCastro's knee not that bad...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/30/good-news-on-decastro-makes-for-tough-decisions-on-cut-day/

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Aug 30, 2012 at 11:10 »

They could cut Batch and know he's a phone call away, rather than use the roster spot.  Put Johnson on PS.

Also haven't been impressed with Ta'amu enough to guarantee him a roster spot (with 2 other NTs on the roster), much less king him NT of the future as some sites seem to imply.  Stand by my draft assessment that he's just not a natural 3-4 NT. 

Worilds is off PUP, but seriously, we ever going to get much out of this investment?  I think Robinson goes to PS/signs with another team after waivers, but how much of a dropoff would it be, with Worilds injured all the time?

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #17 on: Aug 30, 2012 at 11:20 »

And then there's this:  when is going on IR not season-ending?

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #18 on: Aug 30, 2012 at 13:34 »

Too bad it's only one player.  They could stash DDC and Mendy.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #19 on: Aug 30, 2012 at 14:18 »

Whoa.  Brinker sighting.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #20 on: Aug 30, 2012 at 14:30 »

Too bad it's only one player.  They could stash DDC and Mendy.

Mendy will be back much sooner tho.

SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #21 on: Oct 16, 2012 at 12:54 »

Tomlin reports in today's PC that DeCastro is doing some light running (straight line). 

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: