Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 20, 2014 at 11:20 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Week 9 - Nov 4 @ NYG  (Read 3608 times)
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #30 on: Nov 04, 2012 at 23:02 »

Did not have us pegged to win this one with our road record.  Changes the landscape of the 2nd half of the year.

Fake FG was terrible call.  As said, go for it or kick it, I can see both.  But you aren't fooling anyone with what amounts to an extra point.  Not going to be blocked so D will play safe.

Overcame hideous calls in first half.

If we can get some guys back healthy, we're looking like AFC contenders - partially due to quality of AFC at present, but still we are on the upswing with a home game heavy 2nd half.
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #31 on: Nov 05, 2012 at 06:44 »

What a game!

Defense came up big in the 4th.  Ben adjusted to the pressure and the OL was dominant in run blocking.

It seems we have a carousel of injuries this year.  Especially at RB.

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #32 on: Nov 05, 2012 at 08:36 »

I figured that the "Committee" up in the little booth that decides who wins and loses would give this one to the Giants. Looked like that in the first half, particularly with His Holiness Goodell watching over the proceedings.

But things leveled off and got the Stillers a huge win.

Very impressed with the defensive improvements, sans Troy, to this point.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #33 on: Nov 05, 2012 at 08:54 »

That so-called pf in the endzone?  On the replay that looked like a clear shoulder to shoulder hit, not a blow to the head.  How is that even a penalty, much less a pf?  HOW?  So it goes from a stop to 1st and goal on the goal.  Nice job, refs.  Way to take a prominent position in the game.

I'm not one to usually harp on bad calls, but...

The PI on Lewis that wasn't.

The PF on Clark that wasn't.

The OBVIOUS incomplete pass that was called a fumble.

The clip on Miller that wasn't called.

Can't wait for the regular refs to come back.  Oh, wait...

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
scballersc

Saw Ben on Halloween (pre-Milledgeville)

« Reply #34 on: Nov 05, 2012 at 09:13 »

That so-called pf in the endzone?  On the replay that looked like a clear shoulder to shoulder hit, not a blow to the head.  How is that even a penalty, much less a pf?  HOW?  So it goes from a stop to 1st and goal on the goal.  Nice job, refs.  Way to take a prominent position in the game.

I'm not one to usually harp on bad calls, but...

The PI on Lewis that wasn't.

The PF on Clark that wasn't.

The OBVIOUS incomplete pass that was called a fumble.

The clip on Miller that wasn't called.

Can't wait for the regular refs to come back.  Oh, wait...

And that's just the tip of the iceburg.

I do not think Brown scored on the goaline (althought I will admit that it was very close).

Rainey got piled on at the end of his last return and went out of the game with the rib injury.  No flag.

The illegal blindside block which isn't actually a penalty?  It's either a clip or a block in the back, but there surely is no penalty for blocking someone that is not looking at you.

And possibly one of the most ridiculous spots I have ever seen, which cost Tomlin a challenge.

Pick up on the spear of Mike Wallace, which in this pussified day-in-age would have gone against the Steelers every time.

Also, Harrison got held more than once.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #35 on: Nov 05, 2012 at 12:43 »

The illegal blindside block which isn't actually a penalty?  It's either a clip or a block in the back, but there surely is no penalty for blocking someone that is not looking at you.

That's the Hines Ward rule. Didn't know it applied to kick returns, where just about EVERY block is technically "blind side."

Also, Harrison got held more than once.

Not that this is new. But...

Did you see the Giants OT on the Wallace sack? He pulls Harrison down then hold his hands in the old "sticke em up" mode. Might as well hand a "guilty" sign around your neck. For the record, same thing happened after the clip on Miller. No call on either.

I tend to be a conspiracy theorist, so take it with a grain of salt. But don't think for a minute that the refs were unaware of Roger Goodell's presence at this game!

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #36 on: Nov 05, 2012 at 14:08 »

Overall, I'd say Pittsburgh played extremely well.  I thought the change in travel schedule would severely hamper them, but it didn't seem to slow them down.  I fully expected them to come out sluggish with the Giants playing inspired football for their fans.

I've gotta say, the playcalling has been a been a breath of fresh air.  I expected improvement in this area from Haley, but not to this level and not this quickly.  Halfway through the season and we're hearing references of "MVP like season" for Roethlisberger?  Don't think that's ever happened, even in his best seasons.  Think about that for a second, 8 games into a totally new offensive scheme and he's on pace to best almost all of his offensive numbers.  All while not suffering a major beating, week in, week out.  Not too shabby.

Additional bright spots were the offensive line blocking like their lives depended on it (with a coupla exceptions) and Redman running like a man possessed.  First game where I saw some real big play explosiveness from Rainey too.  He's had a few OK showings, but he really looked dangerous on special teams.  Usually, that part of their game seems to feel like an afterthought, but in this one, whenever NY was kicking off or punting, I felt like a big play was always possible.  Good stuff.

On the defensive side, they've shown steady improvement.  I don't see this group overwhelming anyone, but then again, few defensive squads around the league will be able to do so.  It seems like everyone is flawed in one aspect or another.  Lewis came up big in the secondary and is slowly becoming the team's best cover corner (IMO); at least I think he has the best "ball awareness" of the group.  Not sure yet if that's really a compliment on his play or an indictment on the secondary's abilities.

Big, big win against a quality opponent.  Much needed.  Gotta keep pace with the Ratbirds.  Two games looming with them in the next four games.  I'm betting that by the end of the month, Baltimore will be looking up at Pittsburgh in the standings.  Lock that bitch up, man.  Yeah, I went there.  So what?  You wanna fight about it?

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: