Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 28, 2014 at 16:04 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Preseason Game #1 - NYG @ Pittsburgh  (Read 2304 times)
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Aug 10, 2013 at 21:21 »

Al Woods looking good too

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Aug 10, 2013 at 22:53 »

In a word:  sloppy.

Justin Brown looks good

Agri.

Really like what I see out of Brian Rolle on defense. Anyone else seeing what I am?

He's the other 47, right?  Seemed to have a nose for the ball and always be in on a play.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Aug 13, 2013 at 09:45 »

Also, was it me or did JJ NOT look as good as some of the beatnicks portrayed?

Yeah, he fell on a fumble and kinda sorta made that open field tackle, but he seemed a little on the slow side to me; almost like he was running with lead shoes or somethin'.  I dunno...maybe I'm being overly critical, but he reminded me of Jason Gildon...when his career was starting to go downhill.  I just don't see the "sudden~ness" or explosion you like to see from a guy whose main job is to get after the QB.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Aug 13, 2013 at 12:25 »

JJ should be nicknamed Horse, because every play it looked like he was being taken for a ride outside.

At least STs are in midseason form, right?

All we gotta do is give LSH the ball every snap and we're golden.

The ILB depth looks pretty solid, in all seriousness.  Rolle, Williams, and Kion Wilson.  We're going to have some interesting battles.  OL mostly played well, first team at least.  And WR5 is going to be a solid dogfight.  JD Woods stepped up, Justin Brown showed decently, Gilreath shat the bed royally.  JD's brother from another, Al, showed well against 2s and 3s.  Expecting more from Paulson and Will Johnson. 

Landry Jones... FFS.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Aug 13, 2013 at 16:02 »

Take a look at the gif in this link:  http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/08/steelers-alameda-taamu-preseason-game-giants-animated-gifs/

JJ gets a really good jump off the edge but the back picks him up (well) and then he gets caughtup with the TE.  JJ has to become stronger and be able to ward off a back better.  Also has to do better to get away from the holds or learn to flail around more

Ta'amu looked good as well

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Aug 14, 2013 at 08:54 »

Take a look at the gif in this link:  http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/08/steelers-alameda-taamu-preseason-game-giants-animated-gifs/

JJ gets a really good jump off the edge but the back picks him up (well) and then he gets caughtup with the TE.  JJ has to become stronger and be able to ward off a back better.  Also has to do better to get away from the holds or learn to flail around more

Ta'amu looked good as well

Yeah, neutralized by a back.  Very early 2000s Gildon~like.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Aug 14, 2013 at 09:00 »

I do expect JJ to improve as we go through the rest of the preseason, but IMO the only rookie with a shot at starting is Bell. 

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #17 on: Aug 14, 2013 at 09:23 »

Agree. Assume JJ gets in on certain 3rd downs in the first game forward, though as Butler has noted, he has to improve and switch up his moves.  JJ acknowledged such yesterday (steelersdepot.com).  He also has to put on some weight, though that won't happen until the next offseason (if possible)

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #18 on: Aug 14, 2013 at 09:44 »

Agree on the rooks.  Granted that it's only one preseason game, but I don't see anything from Jones that would lead me to believe that he'd start over Worilds.  I mean, look at a guy like say, Bruce Irvin last year.  Many thought he was overdrafted by Carroll, but he showed a lot early to justify getting into the lineup.  When he was on the field, he was explosive and disrupted offenses.  Again, it's early, but Jones hasn't shown any of that.  He just looks like a body occupying space and taking up oxygen.

As to Bell, I'd take it a step further.  If he doesn't do enough to earn a starting spot, the ground game is kinda fooked.

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: