Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 01, 2014 at 14:21 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oak @ Den  (Read 1030 times)
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« on: Sep 30, 2012 at 19:05 »

38-6, Denver

I'm not sure if this means anything. If it does, I am sure that it's not good.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Oct 01, 2012 at 10:28 »

37-6, but point taken.

What the Steelers should have done to those eejits.  That's what happens when ball security isn't coached, when your defense is mush, and you have no running game - one of the shittiest teams steals it from you.  And expect that a few more times this season unless the bye week has some magical fucking fairy dust that is going to correct all this shit, plus special teams and an OL that is cursed to remain crappy forever.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Oct 01, 2012 at 11:55 »

37-6, but point taken.

What the Steelers should have done to those eejits.  That's what happens when ball security isn't coached, when your defense is mush, and you have no running game - one of the shittiest teams steals it from you.  And expect that a few more times this season unless the bye week has some magical fucking fairy dust that is going to correct all this shit, plus special teams and an OL that is cursed to remain crappy forever.

Weird, but I didn't think the O-line had been playing all that poorly.

Granted, they haven't done much to help the running game, but I think they've done a pretty good job at pass protecting and keeping BR from ending up on his back.  Can't remember off the top of my head how many times he's been sacked this year, but I'd be willing to bet that, comparatively speaking to his last 3 years, it's lower than it's been.

I can't really put my finger on exactly what's holding back the running game.  I'm sure the line has something to do with it, but I'm also a little disappointed in Redman's play.  I had been expecting him to really take advantage of this opportunity and showcase some skills, but what I've seen from him is a lot of...uncertainty.  Getting hit in the backfield a lot might play a part in that, but even when he has some space, he's doing a lot of stutter stepping.  I distinctly remember one play against Oakland where he caught a little swing pass in the flat and nobody was within 5 yards.  He turned to head up field, hesitated, then started running.  When two defenders started to converge, he got some happy feet, did a little dance and got stoned.  The old Redman would've just hit the smallest window with a full head of steam and made the most of it.  Sounds weird to say it, but it just feels like defenses don't fear IR like they did with Mendy.  There are a lot of things that I don't like about Shard's game, but he does have big(ger) play ability.  If he truly returns and can be effective this week, maybe he'll provide a spark?  If AP can do it, Mendenhall's about the same age and injured himself only a week later, maybe he can do the same?  Redman's more of a plodder and while effective in spurts, appears underwhelming in a full-time role.  Looking back, I'm a little surprised (well, not really, but...) they didn't bring in a proven guy like Ryan Grant to temporarily help fill the void because the combo of Redman/Dwyer/Batch just wasn't getting it done.

Maybe it's the playcalling too.  Can't say I'm unhappy with what I've seen so far, but with the renewed emphasis on "establishing the run game," maybe they're being too predictable?  I'm pretty sure I've said this before, this team is NOT a team that can just line up and get four yards and a cloud of dust.  They just don't have the personnel for that.  Success in the running game has to come from misdirection, scheme and surprise.  It's pass to set up the run, not vice versa.  They need to get defenses guessing because when they know Pittsburgh's running the ball, it almost always results in negative play.

Again, I don't think it's a more or less of either aspect, it's a matter of when it's called; set the tone on offense and dictate the pace of play, don't just react.

Sorry for the thread jack and rant.  Once the rambling starts, sometimes it's kinda hard to stop...like #34 pulling a spin move in the open field.

OK...OK...sorry, I'll stop...

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Oct 01, 2012 at 13:23 »

I should say that the OL is better in pass protect, but still:  too many false starts, troubles with edge rushers and pressure, and the noted issues with the running game.  Some of that may be on Redman:  I've said all along RM is a franchise back, and Redman is a good COP and stopgap (I had hopes he could carry the load, especially after the Denver playoff game, but the book on Redman is short-area speed).  Redman may also not be at full burst due to the thigh injury.  Dwyer was IMO the best speed guy we had, and could have used more work, but the fumble all but ensures he won't suit up Sundays when RM returns.  The fact is the IOL seems unable to clear lanes (think Texans), which is hugely surprising since I thought Colon would be a monster.  In fact, when DDC comes back I'd sit his fat ass and basically have him be an Essex-style swing backup at IOL/RT, because he's good for nothing except false starts.  Max has been Max, he's OK-fine.  Gilbert gets tooled because he's fucking weak.  Adams ain't ready.  Pouncey has been fine. 

If you read how the OL grades out each week at Steelers Depot, it's not like they're killing it.  I can't remember any time they blew the DL back with any consistency.  They look fat, slow, and unmotivated more often than not. 

But yeah, a little better in pass pro.  Thank God Suggs is out a while.  Eagles will be a test.  They get after BR pretty fucking consistently.

otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Oct 01, 2012 at 13:24 »

We've lowered the bar so far, as long as Ben is still able to walk, we consider the O-line play decent.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Oct 01, 2012 at 14:39 »

We've lowered the bar so far, as long as Ben is still able to walk, we consider the O-line play decent.

Truth.

That's my problem.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Oct 01, 2012 at 15:55 »

Since we're talking RBs as well, just wanted to point out that the Pats' undrafted RB Brandon Bolden - who IMO was worth a R5 pick in the 2012 Finny's fucking draft guide - just racked up 16-137-1 and 1 reception for 11.  Chris Rainey, 6-15-0 on the year.  I don't know what to make of it all, but that sure pissed me off when I saw how well their rookie ran.

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Oct 01, 2012 at 18:02 »

Since we're talking RBs as well, just wanted to point out that the Pats' undrafted RB Brandon Bolden - who IMO was worth a R5 pick in the 2012 Finny's fucking draft guide - just racked up 16-137-1 and 1 reception for 11.  Chris Rainey, 6-15-0 on the year.  I don't know what to make of it all, but that sure pissed me off when I saw how well their rookie ran.

Quit makin' shit up, bruh.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: