Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Dec 22, 2014 at 18:14 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any electricians or TV reparimen out there?  (Read 2074 times)
Pain

« on: Oct 17, 2012 at 21:05 »

So, two weeks ago my 32" Vizio in the bedroom just shuts off. Won't turn back on. I unplug it and let it sit a few hours. Plug it back in and it turns on fine, stays working for a day or two, then shuts off again inexplicably and now won't turn on again. The "Vizio" emblem at the bottom is still glowing Orange as it seems to still get power, but that's about it.

THEN, the 46" Westinghouse in the living room does the exact same thing two days ago...Although, I can't seem to tell if it is getting any power at all, as it has no light source on the outside of the casing anywhere. So, now I'm down to exactly zero working TV's in the house...

Could this be an electrical issue in the house? Or is it just a weird coincidence that they both took a shit, the exact same way within two weeks of each other?

Any thought?
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Oct 17, 2012 at 21:32 »

I'd chalk it up to a coincidence...even though I'm not big on 'em.

They plugged directly into an outlet or through a surge protector?

I would think that if they got fried from some kind of electrical surge, it would've happened simultaneously, not two weeks apart.

Any other electrical items in the house having issues?

Unexpected expenses like that suck, but it's a good excuse to go bigger in the bedroom IYKWIM... pimp

Edit:  Thought TV repairmen were extinct?

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Pain

« Reply #2 on: Oct 17, 2012 at 21:59 »

Bedroom one was plugged in directly to the wall...Living Room was in a surge protector...Both TV's are less than a year old. Vizio was purchased last December, the Westinghouse was in February...Both have warranties from the Manufacturer; pretty sure I have to ship them back on my own dime though...

Pain

« Reply #3 on: Oct 17, 2012 at 22:03 »

Any other electrical items in the house having issues?

Unexpected expenses like that suck, but it's a good excuse to go bigger in the bedroom IYKWIM... pimp

Edit:  Thought TV repairmen were extinct?

No other electrical issues, or problems with any other appliances...

I'm sure my wife is satisfied in the bedroom. If you don't believe me just ask her next time she's out at the bar, sloshed, while I'm at home with the kids staring at my broken fucking TV's...Doh! Sad

Probably correct on the Television Repairman... #somethingIconjuredupfrommyyouth
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Oct 17, 2012 at 22:30 »

At least they're still under warranty.  Nice.  GL.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Oct 18, 2012 at 07:25 »

Google your model # and the problem or search a site like http://www.avsforum.com/

Sometimes it's a known issue.

Had some white spots show up on my 5 year old DLP. Did some searching and found a post where someone with the same issue got 50% off the part and free labor from the manufacturer. Followed their lead and got the same deal.

And they did send a TV repairman out to my house. Seeing he was already out, I figured I get him to check my bulb. Managed a slight discount on that and no installation fee. It's like a new TV for about half of the cost of the warranty they pitched when I bought it. 
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Oct 18, 2012 at 08:34 »

Not sure what you paid for the vizio, but it is a borderline disposable item.  If you bought either one of them at Sams or Costco, you can likely return them.

Coincidentally, I was in a TV repair shop last weekend.  I have a humidifier controlled by a circuit board that took a dump, so I thought I'd see if the TV guy would look at it.  A circuit board is a circuit board in my book.  He said they don't do anything with circuit boards other than throw them away and put new boards in the TV's.  There were several TV's in there for service, and there may have been one or two in the 46 inch range and all the rest were 55+.  He said he had a minimum labor charge of $75 so a minimum expense there is prolly around $200.  So, $200+ to repair a lower end Vizio (I have one, I'm not knocking it) or about $300 for a new one. 

Mfr warranty is definitely your best option, and they will send someone out.

Also take Otis' advice.  Any A/V info that exists is on that site.  It is suprisingly informative and mind numbing at the same time.  You can use that info when calling for the warranty or with the TV repair guy if he starts giving you a bunch of bs.

Otis - what DLP do you have?  I have a Mits 1080p 52 inch, about 6 years old.  I got the first bulb free with the warranty purchase and have put two more in it.  I'm prolly about a year and a half into my current bulb.  Replacing that thing is like getting a new TV.  It was sooooo much better than the LCD's at the time and still looks as good if not better than the current ones.  It looks a hellofa lot better than my Vizio in the bedroom.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Oct 18, 2012 at 09:11 »

Otis - what DLP do you have?

I have a Mits 57" 1080P. I think we got it 5 years ago, this month. I was still on the original bulb, but figured I'd get a new one while he was out. He said they no longer use the original model bulb. It's a brighter bulb, but takes a little longer than the original to turn on. Probably a full 45 seconds to power up. Repair dude said that Mits only makes the monster sets now. Something like 80" min.

Great picture, very happy with the Mits. Also have two LGs and give those good grades as well.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Oct 18, 2012 at 09:20 »

Quote from: otis
And they did send a TV repairman out to my house. Seeing he was already out, I figured I get him to check my bulb.

I'll bet you did.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Oct 18, 2012 at 10:08 »

Otis - what DLP do you have?

I have a Mits 57" 1080P. I think we got it 5 years ago, this month. I was still on the original bulb, but figured I'd get a new one while he was out. He said they no longer use the original model bulb. It's a brighter bulb, but takes a little longer than the original to turn on. Probably a full 45 seconds to power up. Repair dude said that Mits only makes the monster sets now. Something like 80" min.

Great picture, very happy with the Mits. Also have two LGs and give those good grades as well.

I can't believe you are only on your 2nd bulb.  If it's in the basement or something and isn't used daily that makes sense.  The "bulb replacement" that came with the warranty was about 50% of the warranty cost and with one or two service calls in the first coupla years, I actually came out even or ahead.  Those 1080p DLP's had only been out a month or two when I bought mine so there was no way I was walking out of there wout a warranty. 

Those bulbs are freaking expensive.  Last time I ordered from a place called Pureland Supply.  Still isn't cheap, but they had pretty good prices.  The Mits bulbs were close to double the cost of a generic, so I have purchased the gennies.  It was November 2010 last time I got a bulb, so it's been about 2 yrs.  I'll look around on the internet again to check prices next time I need one.  This one isn't starting to look dim yet, so maybe it'll last longer.  The kids aren't down stair as much watching TV so there is a lot less "on/off on/off on/off" which shortens that bulb life. 

You can buy just the bulb, without the housing, for about 60% of the cost of the whole unit, but you have to take the housing unit apart and get the new bulb in without touching it.  It isn't worth the frustration to me, so I buy the housing with the bulb in it and just swap it out.  Kinda cool, like TV surgery.  Forces me to pull the TV out, check the ridiculous power regulator/surge protector and vacuum all the dust off the TV vents.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: