Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 21, 2014 at 02:42 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who is really valuable on the defense?  (Read 1469 times)
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« on: Oct 22, 2012 at 12:57 »

Couple of things on last night's game:

-We can talk about how much this defense needs Troy and Harrison; but the guy who matters most is Woodley. He makes a huge difference in playing the run, the pass, all the way around. OLB with the strength to play like a DE and the speed/skill to rush and play the pass. Defense looked completely different when he settled in and got it rolling.

-Harrison is not healthy. Would like to see the scheme get him rushing up the middle or dropping into coverage; and possibly get Wallace rushing off the edge a bit more. I don't believe that Harrison's knee will give him the torque or leverage that he needs to come off the edge.  It will be easier for him to play if he doesn't have to take that low-to-the-ground corner.  Plus, Wallace's speed is an asset coming from the outside, but his size is a liability when he comes up the middle.

-Wallace has lost about 8 million dollars this season. Ben should stop griping about Haley and start griping at Wallace for costing him 31-37 for 300+ yards and 2 TDs. I don't care if the ball was tipped, you have to concentrate and make that catch in the EZ.

-I am a fan of Tomlin. However, the lack of fire and discipline on this team is becoming infuriating. You can't do the kind of things that the Steelers did in the first half and win. That lack of discipline has cost us down the stretch in every single loss.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
scballersc

Saw Ben on Halloween (pre-Milledgeville)

« Reply #1 on: Oct 22, 2012 at 14:43 »

Couple of things on last night's game:

-We can talk about how much this defense needs Troy and Harrison; but the guy who matters most is Woodley. He makes a huge difference in playing the run, the pass, all the way around. OLB with the strength to play like a DE and the speed/skill to rush and play the pass. Defense looked completely different when he settled in and got it rolling.

-Harrison is not healthy. Would like to see the scheme get him rushing up the middle or dropping into coverage; and possibly get Wallace rushing off the edge a bit more. I don't believe that Harrison's knee will give him the torque or leverage that he needs to come off the edge.  It will be easier for him to play if he doesn't have to take that low-to-the-ground corner.  Plus, Wallace's speed is an asset coming from the outside, but his size is a liability when he comes up the middle.
-

Woodley had himself a game last night.  And I agree that this year, our success will depend moreso on him than on Nagging Injury 1 and Nagging Injury 2. 

But otherwise, this season, I have not been impressed with Woodley.  IMO Ryan Clark has been the best player on the defense, followed closely by Timmons.  No one else on the defensive side of the ball deserves consideration for team Defensive MVP.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Oct 22, 2012 at 14:59 »

But otherwise, this season, I have not been impressed with Woodley. 

Isn't this kind of his MO, though? Slow starts, stronger as the season goes on?

I hope so, because I'm not convinced that Troy is ever going to see the field this season. At least not for more than a game here and there.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Oct 22, 2012 at 21:31 »

I thought Ziggy had a darn good game too.  I think one play he pretty much ran down Dalton from behind.  I was suprised at his speed. 

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Oct 23, 2012 at 13:03 »

I thought Ziggy had a darn good game too.  I think one play he pretty much ran down Dalton from behind.  I was suprised at his speed. 

Gingers lack breakaway speed.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #5 on: Oct 23, 2012 at 13:09 »

They were getting pretty good pressure I thought, but Dalton was getting rid of the ball in about 1.5 secs.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
jasonic
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #6 on: Oct 23, 2012 at 17:53 »

I think they're not as bad a group as they've played.  Just need some confidence and hopefully this win will give it to them.  Ike played great, he should just be assigned the #1 guy and blanket him, seems to play his best in that capacity.  Lewis had some great plays and Woodley came to life.  Farrior and Foote are hanging in there and then Harrison is only going to get better.  Unfortunately, I think Troy is going to be out for good, maybe have to retire.

"If you make every game a life and death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot."
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Oct 23, 2012 at 17:57 »

Ryan Clark is the best and most consistent player on defense this year.  Game in, game out, he has been a guy to hit hard and provide good coverage.

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Oct 23, 2012 at 21:54 »

Ryan Clark is the best and most consistent player on defense this year.  Game in, game out, he has been a guy to hit hard and provide good coverage.

Couldn't agree more.  It's time Ryan Clark received his due as the best free agent signing in the last 10.. 15.. years?  Kevin Greene?  Who else? 

I actually posted angrily on Smizik's blog because he called Clark "a journeyman". 

A shabby Charlie Brown.
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Oct 23, 2012 at 23:21 »

Gotta figure if he could play in Denver we win playoff game and season opener.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: