Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 23, 2014 at 11:59 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Sword @ Trees in Deep Ellum, Dallas  (Read 464 times)
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« on: Dec 18, 2012 at 10:52 »

It was The Metal.  Ah yes, a good ol', throwback-to-the-80's-style heavy metal band.  Minus the hairspray and spandex, mind you, this night was about the sound.  And Toys for Tots.  There were quite a few Marines in their dress uniforms.  They collected toys and donations, then watched the shows.

BTW, some random guy handed me a free ticket!  Thanks, random guy!

I missed the local opening band, Maleveller, simply couldn't get downtown soon enough.  The first act I saw was American Sharks, they were a blast.  They're a 3 piece act from Austin, TX and I bet they go places, at least in the metal community - you'll never hear them on the radio.  The vocalist was a funny, talkative guy and the crowd loved him.  Fun, rocking band.

Next up was Gypsy Hawk, hailing from Pasadena. They were pros and played a good set.  Nothing special.  The thing that stood out most?  Their drummer had an Animal stuffed toy strapped to his kit.  He closely resembled the toy.

The Sword straight-up rocked the joint.  These guys were no-nonsense, they came to play.  I got sucked/shoved into the pit up front and managed to hang for about 30 minutes.  But it got old and I couldn't take pics, obviously.  I eventually moved back and got a soda.  The pit was fun though, I'll have to admit, wouldn't want to spend a whole show down there.  But I do prefer to be up close, it's a more immersive  experience.  A red line is telling me that "immersive" is not a word.  Well, it should be.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2012 at 11:48 »

Oh yeah, the singer for American Sharks took a crowd shot.  There I am ...

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: