Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 24, 2014 at 22:29 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fire Todd Haley now!!! What a crock of crap offense he runs!  (Read 2762 times)
Pain

« Reply #10 on: Dec 24, 2012 at 10:15 »

I'm not saying Haley is the best O coordinator we could possibly have; I'm saying that more often than not we won the TOP, and we were in every game. If not for stupid turnovers and terrible execution by our offense as a whole, we are tops in the division. If our players execute the game-plan without the mental fuck-ups, we are 12-4 or 13-3. IMO, Tomlin has made more troublesome errors in coaching than Haley. This team came out of the gate undisciplined, racking up penalty yards for their opponents. Even the stupid 3-headed monster at RB cannot be laid at Haley's feet. He clearly stated in several interviews that the decision at RB from game to game was Tomlin's. We did not have many "explosive" plays on offense this year, and I believe that might be the reason people are equating our poor production with Haley. Truth is, we were in every game except one or two. Ben went the way of Tiger Woods after he hung up his DTF Radar, our Defense, while still very good, IS getting older and our lack of pass rush (other than this game) is evidence of that. Our WR's give up, drop balls, both in the act of catching it and after they make a football move, and make terrible fundamental mistakes. Our RB's are all too inconsistent (not to mention susceptible to the dropsies). Our offensive line is still shit (how many years now?). Heath, as I'm sure most of you would agree, was our single shining spot on Offense and we can all thank Haley for that. Haley utilizes our weapons properly, it's simply that our weapons aren't producing. Why we were running a play with 20, or whatever fucking seconds left on the clock from our own 29 yard line is beyond me. Maybe that's on Haley; but I would think that's again, Tomlin's call...

To make a long story short; I don't envision our offense being very similar to that of the Pasties. Accordingly, I don't think we should be blowing teams out by 30 points each week. We did everything we needed to win most games this season, except execute the plays that were called when they needed to be made the most.
« Last Edit: Dec 24, 2012 at 10:52 by Pain » Logged
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #11 on: Dec 24, 2012 at 16:41 »

Did teams adjust to Haley's offense though?  Maybe by playing more zone, taking the rythym out of the passing game?  I know the offense looked like it was about the break out before Bens injury, but I saw alot of the same sandlot Arians bullshit, with Ben getting his ass planted regularly over the last few games.

I guess I was more excited thinking that Haley was bringing his Arizona offense here instead of his Kansas City offense. 

Regardless, maybe with a whole offseason they can get on the same page.  I don't see Haley getting fired regardless.
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Dec 27, 2012 at 12:24 »

And, I don't know how it's possible, but that asshat BA has his team in the playoffs.  He is the luckiest dumfuk on the planet.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
steelerdude
N00b

« Reply #13 on: Jan 01, 2013 at 03:36 »

Bring back Wisenhunt no reason to keep Haley around he's a loser.  Imagine not having one of the best defenses in the league and QB.  Haley would be lucky to average 9 points a game with any other team.  The putz doesn't allow Big Ben to call audibles when the defense is showing coverage to for the play sent in.

No more Haley period. Boring, predictable type coach who needs to go to Chicago to run an offense there scoring field goals and 9 points a game.
Pain

« Reply #14 on: Jan 01, 2013 at 12:37 »

No way Wiz comes back and works for the guy the organization chose over him, IMO. We can agree to disagree on Haley, but I contend that it wasn't his fault the offense and special teams couldn't keep from turning the ball over at the most inopportune times. If anyone thinks we can or should have an offense that blows out teams, then we need to focus our sights on stealing Beardy and Bellycheat from the Patsies.

The only difference between this offense and that of years past, is that in years past they converted the big plays to seal the games when they needed to. This year, that magic was not there. I don't ever recall having an offense that puts up 35 a game, under any O.C. That's just not the way we've ever won games consistently. We haven't had a 10 point Margin of Victory in any season since '78, (that's like 1 season in 35 years) according to pro-football-reference.com. Conversely, the Patriots have had 5 seasons where they have had a 10+ point MOV since '04 (that's like 5 seasons in 9 years). My point is, our offense has never been asked to win games solely; only to close out games when they have the chance. I saw Haley put us in those positions this year and I saw the players fail at converting.

This season, they could not do it; mostly due to inopportune turnovers. 2010 was our best year under Arians with 8.9 MOV, in a year where Mendy still gave a shit, (1200+ yards), and Wallace exploded on the scene (1200+ yards), and Harrison was still dumping QB's on their heads (10.5 sacks and 100 tackles, 70 solo/30 asst and 6 FF's), arguably the best overall years for all 3.  This team is clearly not THAT team, although inopportune turnovers probably cost us the SB win against the Pack that year.

Either way, I'm not going to defend Haley anymore on the forums, as I don't think he's in any jeopardy of losing his job. I just didn't see what others saw this year in regard to the play-calling. Most of the plays we lost games on were plays that would have been easily converted if the players just did their job. 
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #15 on: Jan 01, 2013 at 13:28 »

I just didn't see what others saw this year in regard to the play-calling. Most of the plays we lost games on were plays that would have been easily converted if the players just did their job. 

Yeah.  He passed the eyeball test.  The woes are strictly on the players, their lack of execution and their lack of brains.  The WRs lost something when Ward retired, the standard that is the standard is a lower standard.  Ward played with a chip on his shoulder each and every game.  Wallace expects everything to be handed to him, and *then* he'll play if he feels like it.  Hopefully he's out before that cancer spreads to Brown and Sanders.  They need another hard-nosed guy at the position, just a guy that brings it play after play, knows where to be, knows situational football, etc.

They get the OL in order, guys healed and a consistent 5 or 6 in the lineup, that will help the running game.  They get some WRs with balls and desire, that fixes the passing game.  Then BR needs to buy into the offense and quit whining about how things are different.  Buy in, be a team player, you know - a leader? 

Another off season in the system, Haley will better know how to tailor the scheme for his guys, watch out next year.  That should be the plan, anyways.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Jan 01, 2013 at 14:34 »

This season, they could not do it; mostly due to inopportune turnovers. 2010 was our best year under Arians with 8.9 MOV, in a year where Mendy still gave a shit, (1200+ yards), and Wallace exploded on the scene (1200+ yards), and Harrison was still dumping QB's on their heads (10.5 sacks and 100 tackles, 70 solo/30 asst and 6 FF's), arguably the best overall years for all 3.  This team is clearly not THAT team, although inopportune turnovers probably cost us the SB win against the Pack that year.

Either way, I'm not going to defend Haley anymore on the forums, as I don't think he's in any jeopardy of losing his job. I just didn't see what others saw this year in regard to the play-calling. Most of the plays we lost games on were plays that would have been easily converted if the players just did their job.

Very well said.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #17 on: Jan 01, 2013 at 17:42 »

I think Haley sticks, and we need to add a real playmaker WR.  Better value at OLB/S early, but could see us getting some good value R2 onward.  Just need consistency and players to make the damn plays.

It's a passing league.  You can't just have a one go-to guy.  You can't just have a passel of "OK" hands.  You need multiple threats.  How many guys cleared 500, 750, 1000 yards this season?

Denver: D. Thomas - 1434, E. Decker - 1064, J. Tamme - 555, B. Stokley - 544
Atlanta: R. White - 1351, J. Jones - 1198, T. Gonzalez - 930
Indianapolis: R. Wayne - 1355, TY Hilton - 861, D. Avery - 781, D. Allen - 581
NE: W. Welker - 1354, B. Lloyd - 911, R. Gronkowski - 790
Green Bay: Cobb - 954, J. Jones - 784, J. Nelson - 745, J. Finley - 667
Pittsburgh: M. Wallace - 836, H. Miller - 816, A. Brown - 787, E. Sanders - 626
Houston: A. Johnson - 1598, O. Daniels - 716, K. Walter - 518
Cincinnati: AJ Green - 1350, J. Gresham - 737, A. Hawkins - 533
Baltimore: A. Boldin - 921, T. Smith - 855, D. Pitta - 669
Washington: P. Garcon - 633, S. Moss - 573, L. Hankerson - 543, J. Morgan - 510
SF: M. Crabtree - 1105, V. Davis - 548
Seattle: S. Rice - 748, G. Tate - 688
Minnesota: P. Harvin - 677

JUst kinda eyeballed those rankings.  Steelers clearly have a diversified attack.  Get a WR1 who's pushing well over 1000 per year and get better results from AB and Sanders.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #18 on: Jan 01, 2013 at 18:08 »

I am biased towards Clemson but Deandre Hopkins was great this season and had a he'll of a game last night.   At this point, mentioned to be a second round prospect.  Combine and Pro Day can change that.

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #19 on: Jan 03, 2013 at 12:46 »

Might not be any need to fire Haley...

If he goes, who do we bring in or promote?

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: