Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 23, 2014 at 01:46 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 14 [15] 16 ... 28   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013 Steelers draft  (Read 11581 times)
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #140 on: Apr 25, 2013 at 22:21 »

Dammit, NE flips their pick.  What else is new.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #141 on: Apr 25, 2013 at 22:23 »

Jeebus effing C, they got more for the 29 than the Raiders got for the 3.  WTF?
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #142 on: Apr 25, 2013 at 22:28 »

From Steelers today

With the 17th pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers select…….Jarvis Jones, outside linebacker from Georgia.
With that announcement, the celebrations began in my home.  Jarvis Jones was the player that I was hoping the Steelers would get.
Jones is a 6’3″ linebacker who led the nation in sacks (14.5), tackles for loss (24.5), and forced fumbles (7).  Who do those statistics remind you of?  That’s right, James Harrison, the man that Jarvis will be trying to replace.

Jarvis Jones doing what he does.
Some have questioned Jones because of a neck injury that he suffered while playing with USC as a freshman.  Jones was diagnosed with spinal stenosis, and he wasn’t cleared to play for USC.  However, Jones transferred to Georgia, and their medical staff cleared him to play.  Since then, he has totally dominated the SEC.
The Steelers know about his neck injury, so their medical staff must have cleared him too, or they wouldn’t have selected him in the 1st round.
The thing that excites me most about Jones isn’t the tremendous sack numbers that he’s put up over the past 2 years.  Rather, I’m most excited about who he put them up against.  There is no doubt that the SEC is the best conference in college football.  They are the closest thing there is to the NFL.  Yet, Jones was a man among boys in the SEC.

Jones does it again.
Some will point out that he ran a slow 40 at the NFL Scouting Combine.  Personally, I place no stock in 40 times.  The quarterback doesn’t line up 40 yards from the linebacker.  So why is a 40 time relevant?  James Harrison didn’t run a fast 40.  Neither did LaMarr Woodley.  And they’ve both proven to be effective at getting to the quarterback.
Some scouts and fans prefer to draft based on potential.  They weigh Combine results heavily.  That’s why guys like Dion Jordan, Ezekial Ansah, and Barkevious Mingo were picked ahead of Jones.  All of them ran very fast 40 times, and so teams are drooling over their potential.  Personally, I don’t place much faith in potential.  I prefer to place my faith in proven results.  And Jarvis Jones had more sacks last year than Dion Jordan, Ezekiel Ansah, and Barkevious Mingo combined.  That’s right, COMBINED!  The same was true last year too.
I can think of a lot of things that the Steelers could have done in this draft that would have been dumber than selecting the best sack artist available.

Another sack by Jones.
In addition to leading the nation in several statistical categories, Jones was also an All-American, and a finalist for the Butkus, Benarik, Lobardi, Nagurski, and Lott awards.
In my opinion, the draft couldn’t have started any better for the Steelers.  I can’t wait to see who they draft in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.
Go Steelers!
Be Sociable, Share!

inShare

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #143 on: Apr 25, 2013 at 22:36 »

According to value chart Pats-Vikes is even, but sure seems like a lot more.

On the other hand, Raiders trade 3 for 12 and 42= -520.

Raiders should have gotten both of Miami's second round picks and they would still be negative.

In fact, should have been both seconds (42 and 54) and a third (82) and give them a 6th rounder in change.

That's why they've sucked ass for over a decade.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #144 on: Apr 25, 2013 at 22:38 »

Minny could trade away the rest of their picks for futures and their '13 haul would be considered a success.

Nice selections.  Far cry from letting the clock run out.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #145 on: Apr 26, 2013 at 06:51 »

Why don't the Steelers ever field trade offers?  Yeah they got "their guy."  Old & slow, but he put up numbers.  Maybe he only sits on the bench a year, not two.

R2, I think they're fixated on Bell, but I could be wrong.  Need playmakers, and WR has value, so of course they'll hit RB a round or two too early.  Should be WR, RB, S, S, but I'm sure it'll be RB, DE, TE, QB or some shit like that there.

Other teams:  the FUCK, Dallas?  Vikes did swell.  Houston is quietly showing their acumen at drafting these last few years: D. Hopkins is gonna be a great fit for them, light it up.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Manimal
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #146 on: Apr 26, 2013 at 10:43 »

I also feel nervous about the Jones pick, but it's a good nervous. On the one hand, his highlight reel shows me a lot of coverage sacks, a lot of wide open spaces he runs through, created I guess either by his teammates or the opponents' ineptitudes. I do see a number of sacks where he totally runs right around an SEC left tackle, though, and that's impressive.

And he had more sacks than everyone else in the first round put together, just about, so I can only imagine how disappointing their highlight reels must be.

If given the choice, I'd take -- every time -- a guy like Jones, who's tale-of-the-tape is unimpressive, over a guy like Sharrif Floyd who looks great in the gym but didn't produce squat on the field.

I also think that, philosophically, teams *should* take risks in the first round. Shoot for superstar, difference-maker types of player. Want a decent starter? That's what free agency is for, in my opinion. And in picking Jones, I feel the Steelers took that kind of gamble.

In a way it reminds me of the Polamalu pick. There were lots of questions about that pick, about Troy's size and health, even about whether his teammates let him make plays.

I hope they get an offensive skill player in round 2, though I wouldn't be upset if they grabbed that CB out of Miss St if that guy falls a bit. I'd love to see them go WR in round 2, S in round 3, and RB in rounds 4 and 5 (yes, i'm calling for a double-dip at that position!).

My fear is that they're going to reach for some 3-4 end in round 2, or another fucking OG.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #147 on: Apr 26, 2013 at 11:09 »

I'd have been pretty happy with Cooper or Warmack, but OG can wait until R5 onward now.  If at all.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #148 on: Apr 26, 2013 at 11:38 »

The Plastic Haired One liked it:

Three I liked

Pittsburgh Steelers
The pick: Jarvis Jones, No. 17
Summary: The Steelers saw the board set up really well. I thought they might be split between Jones and Tyler Eifert, but they really need another pass-rusher, and when the guy who led the country in sacks and tackles for loss -- and he did it against plenty of SEC competition -- is sitting there at No. 17, you take him. Jones was No. 1 on my Big Board for much of the year, but dipped some during the evaluation process after not working out in Indy and then not running well at his pro day. Well, turns out he's better wearing football pads than Under Armour. Love the value here.

Cincinnati Bengals
The picks: Tyler Eifert, No. 21
Summary: He finished the draft season as the No. 8 player on my Big Board, and the Bengals took advantage of a major value and the fact that they don't have a ton of needs. With Eifert, you now have a situation where him, A.J. Green and Jermaine Gresham are causing major matchup problems. You can throw to these guys even when they're covered. You also help to maximize Andy Dalton, who doesn't have a huge arm, and could use another intermediate target who can work the middle of the field.

St. Louis Rams
The picks: Tavon Austin, No. 8; Alec Ogletree, No. 30

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #149 on: Apr 26, 2013 at 12:20 »

Would you take Te'o if he was there in the 2nd?

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
Pages: 1 ... 14 [15] 16 ... 28   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: