Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 28, 2014 at 09:56 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 [8] 9 ... 28   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013 Steelers draft  (Read 13349 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #70 on: Apr 16, 2013 at 06:51 »

Draft rumor has NFL "sources" saying Clemson WR DeAndre Hopkins will go top 25.

Which makes me feel like putting him in my top 17 wasn't such a reach after all.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #71 on: Apr 16, 2013 at 07:59 »

Draft rumor has NFL "sources" saying Clemson WR DeAndre Hopkins will go top 25.

Which makes me feel like putting him in my top 17 wasn't such a reach after all.

I like the summary:

The 6-foot-1, 214-pound Hopkins is an extremely well-rounded receiver who plays taller than his listed measurement and competes for the ball. Hopkins' best traits are his route-running and quickness. He is able to consistently generate separation from defensive backs. Hopkins is also phenomenal at working in the intermediate part of the field to make catches that move the chains. He does extremely well running deep outs and other sideline catches, too.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #72 on: Apr 16, 2013 at 12:04 »

Allegedly Cal WR Keenan Lewis had a dodgy piss test (high levels of water) at combine and will need to re-test.  Would push him off the FO boards most likely. 

No worries: sub in Tenn WR Justin Hunter - great size and speed and a pretty decent set of hands, coming back from knee issues with no loss of zip.

SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #73 on: Apr 17, 2013 at 07:04 »

I would take Mauti 6th Rd.  Can't be a worse pick than Drew Caylor, Bo Lacy or Matt Kranchik

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #74 on: Apr 17, 2013 at 09:38 »

Interesting comparison of 2012 and 2013 OG classes.

The author says DDC, Cooper, and Warmack are all comparable in overall talent, and that all 3 are exceptional when compared to OGs of recent drafts.

The chance to add Cooper or Warmack to the IOL may not be high on the "needs" list, but IMO would be outstanding value.  Plus, with the change in blocking scheme to more ZBS, having a strong IOL would be huge.  Not to mention the possibility of really limiting pressure up the middle from DTs.

I'd take one of the OTs over Cooper or Warmack ONLY because of positional value, but gotta figure they're long gone so the question is "mute."

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #75 on: Apr 18, 2013 at 10:12 »

A draft I wouldn't mind at all.

Cooper in R1?  Hunter R2?  Shamark, R5???  Giddyap. 

I don't see any way Shamarko lasts that long, but whatever.  Mostly fills needs with players I like.

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #76 on: Apr 18, 2013 at 11:27 »

I don't see any way Shamarko lasts that long, but whatever.  Mostly fills needs with players I like.

Lotta talk the last few days on the NFL channel (SiriusXM) about the quality at the top of the draft at OG this year.  Cooper and Warmack's names keep popping up.  McShay (who was on Mike & Mike this morn) definitely has a stiffy for those guys; suggesting that both of those guys are the closest to "can't miss prospects" regardless of position.

All that fellating has me a 'lil worried.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #77 on: Apr 18, 2013 at 14:03 »

Lotta talk the last few days on the NFL channel (SiriusXM) about the quality at the top of the draft at OG this year.  Cooper and Warmack's names keep popping up.  McShay (who was on Mike & Mike this morn) definitely has a stiffy for those guys; suggesting that both of those guys are the closest to "can't miss prospects" regardless of position.

All that fellating has me a 'lil worried.

Yeah, good chance this year bucks odds and sees both gone by 1.17.  Course, I never thought DDC would fall to us last year.  Cooper especially looks like an amazing fit for the more ZBS-oriented OL.

And that change in blocking will impact what kind of RB we take, too.  People think we're still looking for the next Bettis.  Not any more.  Or at least, shouldn't be.  Think Johnathan Franklin, not Eddie Lacy.  More in the Ray Rice mold.  Gio Bernard. 

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #78 on: Apr 18, 2013 at 16:53 »

Cordarelle Patterson and Tavon Austin bomb Wonderlic test scoring an 11 and 7, respectively.

Fuh real?  A seven, brah?

Either they're smart as a bag of coal or they made zero effort resulting in a terrible score.  Either way, it ain't good news.

Speaking of offensive line talent, maybe a late round, sleeper pick?  Travis Frederick (OC/OG - Wisc.)?

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #79 on: Apr 18, 2013 at 19:37 »

Corduroy was whispered as being dumb as a bag o' muffins, but Austin surprises me.  They're both talented as hell, Corduroy being more risky.  At 1.17 I'd take Austin and laugh all the way to the bank.  At 1.17 I'd take Patterson and pray like hell.

Pages: 1 ... 7 [8] 9 ... 28   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: