Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Aug 02, 2014 at 01:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 28   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013 Steelers draft  (Read 13648 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Dec 29, 2012 at 08:54 »

Saw enough of that game to be interested.  But hard to see how he fits into a 3-4:  doesn't look like a guy who can play in space, more a 4-3 end.  Plus he'll be 26 as a rookie.  Should show well at the combine and get overdrafted.  Production and LOC the rest of his career are big Huh?.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Dec 29, 2012 at 14:19 »

And let's not forget, Tomlin likes to draft 'em young (Pouncey, Timmons; OTOH Mendenhall).

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Dec 29, 2012 at 16:39 »

And let's not forget, Tomlin likes to draft 'em young (Pouncey, Timmons; OTOH Mendenhall).

Huhwhat?

Mendenhall is 25, was 21 when he arrived here.  No OH to be had.

SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Dec 29, 2012 at 17:15 »

Agree on age concern.  Don't know how he does or doesn't fit in our system..  LOC is what it is but he pwned the RT all night long.  If he is a 3rd or 4th rounder, i would have no problem taking him. 

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Dec 29, 2012 at 17:17 »

Speaking of old rookies, Steelers signed Hebron Fangupo.  Likely won't be using a pick on NT.  No idea what happens with Ta'amu and his case.  
« Last Edit: Dec 29, 2012 at 17:24 by SCacalaki » Logged

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Dec 29, 2012 at 21:30 »

Speaking of old rookies, Steelers signed Hebron Fangupo.  Likely won't be using a pick on NT.  No idea what happens with Ta'amu and his case.  

Despite age, I liked Fangupo better than Ta'amu.  Good pickup.  Good character guy.  Interesting move.  Could still take a NT tho if value presents.

BTW, month and a half ago the guy on top of my R1 list was Alex Okafor, OLB, TX.  Sort of shuffled through various candidates since.  My boy just had hisself one hella bowl game.  He's def in the R1 convo.  Looks the part.  Looks ready.

pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Dec 30, 2012 at 02:51 »

Huhwhat?

Mendenhall is 25, was 21 when he arrived here.  No OH to be had.

I meant as juxtaposition to the good players we've drafted young.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it don't.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
scballersc

Saw Ben on Halloween (pre-Milledgeville)

« Reply #17 on: Dec 30, 2012 at 13:24 »

Two things:

Let's not draft Lattimore any higher than if you were to redraft McGahee today, with compete information, because McGahee is about all you can expect out of someone with serious knee injuries late in his college career.  IMHO Lattimore's injury history is MORE concerning, so I have no desire to draft him in RDs 1-3 and would probably pass on him in Rd 4 as well.

Further, I don't think Teo will drop far enough for us to draft him, but then again I thought he was a lock to win the Heisman.  Finny also has him around 8th on the board he posted (no idea if those players are ranked by projected draft order).  The Steelers were plagued by missed tackles, old backers that cannot cover scat backs, and dumb players this year. Teo is none of those.  In fact he had 102 tackles on the year, c.f. with 2 missed tackles (98+%) and was a turnover machine.  He should be the gold standard for our projected picks (albeit possibly unrealistic).
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #18 on: Dec 30, 2012 at 16:31 »

My board's a preliminary mix of where players are likely to go (so, a quasi-mock) and draft value.  As I sift this, it will go entirely to value, so I'll exclude some guys on character, scheme, etc.

SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #19 on: Dec 30, 2012 at 19:33 »

Despite age, I liked Fangupo better than Ta'amu.  Good pickup.  Good character guy.  Interesting move.  Could still take a NT tho if value presents.

BTW, month and a half ago the guy on top of my R1 list was Alex Okafor, OLB, TX.  Sort of shuffled through various candidates since.  My boy just had hisself one hella bowl game.  He's def in the R1 convo.  Looks the part.  Looks ready.

34 OLBs take a while to pan out.  Woodley was a rarity.  Worilds' timeframe has seemed more inline with moving in to a starter-capable role.  Can we afford a first round development player?  Maybe I am more impatient than needed....I really didn't like what I saw this year and it seems we need numerous impact players.  May not be possible or the best longterm approach.   Up against the cap (over it actually) and the draft is really "it" for turning things around.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 28   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: