Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 16, 2014 at 00:13 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5 ... 28   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013 Steelers draft  (Read 14580 times)
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #30 on: Mar 06, 2013 at 11:10 »

OK here is my dream draft scenarios based on current need and information...
I'll give 3 options for each round...assuming the players are there to select

1.17 - Kenny Vaccaro-FS ---Barkevious Mingo-OLB ----Jarvis Jones-OLB
2.48 - Jesse Williams-NT----Eric Reid-FS -----Alex Okafor-DE
3.79 - Montee Ball-RB -----Matt Elam-S-----Stepfan Taylor -RB
4.110 - Marcus Lattimore-RB----Justin Pugh- OT---Keith Pough,-OLB
5.141 - Zach Dysert-QB---Joe Kruger-DE---Tyler Bray - QB
6.173 -Mike Catapano-DE----Jasper Collins- WR ---Aaron Mellette-WR
7.205- Ray Graham-RB--Cooper Taylor-S----Garrett Gilkey- OT

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #31 on: Mar 06, 2013 at 13:43 »

I think Elam goes a round earlier and Bray 1-2 rounds earlier.  And I think we go WR earlier. 

Had a very detailed dream that we were taking Cal WR Keenan Lewis R1.  The thinking was that we would be down to basically Antonio Brown and Manny Sanders, plus vets, so we needed to restock the offense.  But instead of getting a speed guy to replace Wallace, the FO thought process was to get a Ward-type receiver, so the guy they thought had the best hands/routes combo was Lewis.  Sort of the Ward/Boldin/Jordy Nelson traits.  That would open up speed routes for the other two, and Lewis isn't slow either.  Before the PCL, he was seen as a top of R1 kind of pick, too, and if you want a guy who doesn't seem to drop the ball much (as our WRs did last year)...

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #32 on: Mar 06, 2013 at 14:14 »

I thought we already had a Keenan Lewis?

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #33 on: Mar 06, 2013 at 17:31 »

Keenan Allen.  Brainfart.

TwistedLemon

« Reply #34 on: Mar 14, 2013 at 11:47 »

Looking forward to the player writeups.  Thoughts on Jessie Williams (NT, Bama) in round 1?  I dont think he is there round 2.  Perhaps trade back about 7-10 spots and get him with additional picks?

DJ Swearingen (FS, South Carolina) in round 4 possible?  Stedman Bailey in round 3 perhaps? have not read alot yet, but tentatively something like this............
1.  J Williams, Alabama
2.  OLB
3.  WR S Bailey
4.  FS DJ Swearingen
5.  RB
6.  O-Line
7.  DE Kreuger (I think) from Utah (I think)

Clearly a very rough draft of a rough draft

"My reality check bounced"
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #35 on: Mar 14, 2013 at 14:36 »

Yeah, I have Swearinger in R4 as a SS only.  Jesse Williams I don't think is worth a R1 pick, even as a trade-back, unless we're going 4-3.  Don't have the WRs done but I do like Stedman, mostly as a fall-back if we pass on WR in R1-2.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #36 on: Mar 16, 2013 at 18:50 »

The 2013 draft in a nutshell.

The defense outplayed the offense, consistently and with regularity.  We need to keep adding talent to the OL to ever be an offensive threat, and we have dire and glaring needs at WR and RB, and could use some help at QB and TE.  So, pretty much across the board.

But the defense is getting old and has questionable depth.  Both safety spots need updated, and this is a strong year for it.  CB is a perpetual need, exacerbated by Lewis leaving.  ILB is wafer thin and needs a starter to take over from Foote, since Spence looks DOA.  NT is a giant question.  DE and OLB always need a pipeline, but may need to wait their turn.

So how many fucking picks do we have this year???

Oh yeah, and KR/PR and PK/P could all use some help.  Thanks.

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #37 on: Mar 17, 2013 at 10:19 »

The 2013 draft in a nutshell.

The defense outplayed the offense, consistently and with regularity.  We need to keep adding talent to the OL to ever be an offensive threat, and we have dire and glaring needs at WR and RB, and could use some help at QB and TE.  So, pretty much across the board.

But the defense is getting old and has questionable depth.  Both safety spots need updated, and this is a strong year for it.  CB is a perpetual need, exacerbated by Lewis leaving.  ILB is wafer thin and needs a starter to take over from Foote, since Spence looks DOA.  NT is a giant question.  DE and OLB always need a pipeline, but may need to wait their turn.

So how many fucking picks do we have this year???

Oh yeah, and KR/PR and PK/P could all use some help.  Thanks.

#gonnabealongseason

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #38 on: Mar 25, 2013 at 11:15 »

From one of the dudes at walterfootball.com, these are some of the guys that have met with Pittsburgh brass.

Ezekiel Ansah, DL, BYU (COM)
Montee Ball, RB, Wisconsin (COM)
Le'Veon Bell, RB, Michigan State (PRI)
Tyler Bray, QB, Tennessee (PRO)
Arthur Brown, LB, Kansas State (PRI)
Marvin Burdette, ILB, UAB (VINT)
Anthony Capasso, WR, Ashland (PRO)
Jonathan Cooper, G, North Carolina (COM)
Jordan Hill, DL, Penn State (COM)
Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma (COM)
Landry Jones, QB, Oklahoma (PRO)
Michael Mauti, LB, Penn State (COM)
Ryan Griffin, QB, Tulane (PRI)
Dion Sims, TE, Steelers (PRI)
Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia (COM)
Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas (COM)
Robert Woods, WR, USC (COM)

SR - Senior Bowl meeting.
EW - East-West Shrine meeting.
COM - Combine meeting.
INT - Interested.
VINT - Very Interested.
PRO - Pro Day meeting.
PRI - Private Workout.

Of the guys listed, I'm a fan of Ansah, Bell and Brown.  Interestingly, they haven't met with any CBs.

In addition, here's who walters projects the Steelers taking at 1.17 in one of their mocks:

Pittsburgh Steelers: Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia 
Walt said it best in his mock, dumb groupthink will lead to Jones falling to a smart team like the Steelers, Giants or Ravens. The Steelers could use a young play-maker to replace James Harrison and Jones would be a dream come true for Pittsburgh. Sources said the Steelers sent their entire front office contingent to the Georgia pro day including head coach Mike Tomlin.

Jones decided not to work out at the Combine, but that isn't surprising. Scouts at the East-West Shrine told WalterFootball.com that Jones would slide on draft day because they believe he will test poorly before the draft and isn't a hard worker in the weight room. The scouts said that watching the game tape, Jones is worthy of being a top draft pick, but they don't believe he will go that high.

At his pro day, Jones verified what the scouts told us with a 40 time in the 4.9 to 5.0 range. His other drills didn't go well either, but scouts told us he looked better in position drills.

Jones was one of the best pass-rushers in college football in 2011. He tied for the second-most sacks in the nation, 13.5. Jones also had 70 tackles, 19.5 tackles for a loss and two forced fumbles.

The junior was excellent this season. He dominated Missouri, stepping up with huge plays to help lead the Bulldogs to a win. Jones had nine tackles with two sacks, a forced fumble, a pass batted and an interception returned 21 yards to the goal line against the Tigers. He also caused two other forced fumbles that he wasn't given credit for. The turnovers the linebacker created came late in the game and sealed the win for Georgia.

Jones did the same thing to Florida. He totaled 13 tackles, 4.5 tackles for a loss, three sacks, two forced fumbles and one fumble recovery. Jones also made the game-saving play with a forced fumble around the Georgia 5-yard line in the final minutes. It was a tremendous outing that illustrated his ability to make big plays in big games.

Jones is a dynamite pass-rusher. The way he runs down signal-callers in the pocket and flies around the football field is similar to former Texas A&M linebacker Von Miller. Jones' speed and pass-rushing skills make him extremely disruptive. He has a good burst off the edge which takes tackles by surprise and sets them up for him to beat them around the corner or dodge back to the inside.

Jones never takes plays off given his non-stop motor; he gives relentless effort. Jones amassed 85 tackles, 14.5 sacks, 24.5 tackles for a loss, seven forced fumbles, three passes broken up and a pick in 2012. He led the nation in sacks, tackles for a loss and forced fumbles.

The USC transfer fit well in the Georgia defense and looks like an ideal 3-4 outside linebacker for the next level. For a 4-3 defense, he could play in a similar manner to Von Miller. The 6-foot-3, 241-pounder could be the top talent in the 2013 NFL Draft at any position.

Pick change; previously Barkevious Mingo, OLB

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #39 on: Mar 25, 2013 at 17:34 »

I'm VERY high on Jon Cooper, BTW.  Know it seems redundant, but we can always use more OL help.

The more I look at Jarvis Jones, the less I like.

Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5 ... 28   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: