Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 20, 2014 at 19:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 [6] 7 ... 28   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013 Steelers draft  (Read 15849 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #50 on: Apr 04, 2013 at 10:16 »

Defensive Tackle School Round
Sharrif Floyd Florida 1st
Sheldon Richardson Missouri 1st
Star Lotulelei Utah 1st
Kawaan Short Purdue 1st/2nd
Jesse Williams Alabama 2nd
Johnathan Hankins Ohio St. 2nd
John Jenkins Georgia 2nd
Sylvester Williams North Carolina 2nd
Brandon Williams Missouri Southern St. 3rd
Bennie Logan LSU 3rd/4th

http://www.thesidelineview.com/columns/draft/draft-grades-top-10-position-defensive-tackles

Outside Linebacker School Round
Dion Jordan Oregon 1st
Barkevious Mingo LSU 1st
Jarvis Jones Georgia 1st
Jamie Collins Southern Miss 2nd
Trevardo Williams Connecticut 2nd/3rd
Corey Lemonier Auburn 3rd
Lerentree McCray Florida 3rd/4th
Brandon Jenkins Florida St. 3rd/4th
Michael Buchanon Illinois 4th
Quanterus Smith W. Kentucky 5th

http://www.thesidelineview.com/columns/draft/draft-grades-top-10-position-3-4-olbs

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #51 on: Apr 04, 2013 at 10:17 »

Defensive End School Round
Ezekiel Ansah^ BYU 1st
Bjoern Werner Florida St. 1st
Datone Jones^ UCLA 1st/2nd
Alex Okafor Texas 2nd
Margus Hunt^ SMU 2nd
Damontre Moore Texas A&M 2nd
Sam Montgomery LSU 2nd
Malliciah Goodman^ Clemson 2nd/3rd
Tank Carradine Florida St. 2nd/3rd
Cornelius Washington Georgia 3rd/4th

^ - Might be best suited for 3-4

http://www.thesidelineview.com/columns/draft/draft-grades-top-10-position-defensive-ends

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #52 on: Apr 04, 2013 at 11:18 »

Not sure if the Finny draft guide will hit this year.  Work's been insane.  In the meantime:

Priorities, Broseph.  Penso's waiting with baited breath.

Lotta high grade talent at WR and CB.  Be nice to hit a homerun at those positions, but I'd settle for a double or triple.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #53 on: Apr 04, 2013 at 12:43 »

Not sure if the Finny draft guide will hit this year.  Work's been insane.  In the meantime:

Priorities, Broseph.  Penso's waiting with baited breath.

Lotta high grade talent at WR and CB.  Be nice to hit a homerun at those positions, but I'd settle for a double or triple.

My guess is the FO sees Cortez taking over for Allen and Gay taking over for Cortez is good enough for now.  Course, Ike's not getting younger and if any of the starters get hurt our depth sucks.  But for some reason I don't sense CB as a high pri.

I’d be happy with: 1. WR Tavon Austin – not usually a fan of smaller receivers, but we need gamechangers, and the kid has Wallace-speed (faster, actually) and better route skills and hands, and can rush and return kicks.  And he doesn’t get hurt.  2. CB Johnthan Banks, guy has the skills and playmaking to be one of the best corners, but was slow at combine due to recovery from knee surgery.  Looks like he’s bouncing back.  R1 talent in R2?  3. SS Shamarko Thomas, aka, Bob Sanders.  Dude just lays people out.  I see him as R2 talent who could be there in R3 due to size.  Thicker and more durable than Sanders.  4. FS Duke Williams.  Really undervalued, with the skill set to play either S spot, but the speed to cover centerfield.  5. OT Reid Fragel, played one year of OT at OSU after converting from TE, very raw but proto size and tremendous upside.  6. OG Earl Watford, played at James Madison but looks like a nice fit for the ZBS, very explosive.  6. RB Michael Ford, after missing several clusters of RBs earlier, represents one of several late-round RBs (including Ray Graham, Spencer Ware, and Stefphon Jefferson) whose value could easily turn them into a steal.  7.QB Ryan Griffin.  Don’t know anything about him except they brought him in and we could use a developmental guy in the mix.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #54 on: Apr 05, 2013 at 11:09 »

Our draft spots are 1.17 (17), 2.18 (48), 3.17 (79), 4.18 (115), 5.17 (150), 6.18 (186), 6.38 - comp (206), and 7.17 (223).

Going by who is available at those spots using the NFLDS/CBS Sportsline overall ranking, I might amend the above as follows:

1.17 (17) - Tavon Austin (CBS #18).  Grab the playmaker.  2.18 (48) - RB Johnathan Franklin (77).  With Johnthan Banks off the board at 30 (I was hoping he would slide to 48), I switch gears and take the best RB on my board.  Franklin is coming in for a visit, and I've been looking at him as possibly the best RB behind Lacy (33), who frankly concerns me with his inability to work out.  That might mean Franklin, whom I think bears some resemblance to Ray Rice, is the best back by default.  (I have him rated higher than Giovani Bernard, rated 64 by CBS).  3.17 (79) - Shamarko Thomas (79!).  Again, this guy is a force to be reckoned with, and a tremendous value here.  4.18 (115) - ILB Jon Bostic (121).  There's a real nice cluster of potential ILBs in R2-4 (Khaseem Greene, Sio Moore, Jamie Collins, Trevardo Williams), but those are OLB-to-ILB conversions.  Bostic played the middle at Florida, and Tomlin and Co. attended the Gators pro day and saw Bostic have a fine workout.  Nice speed to compare to other ILB prospects, good instincts and productivity.  (Duke Williams slips to a later pick based on CBS rankings).  5.17 (150) - Reid Fragel (172).  6.18 (186) - OG Jeff Baca (217).  Earl Watford is off at 180, so I find another OG, one who opened holes for UCLA teammate Franklin.  Baca tested very well at the combine and could be a late round steal.  6.38 - comp (206) - Duke Williams (219).  7.17 (223) - WR Alec Lemon.  Very productive at Syracuse, could be a nice developmental addition. 

UDFA:  CB Kayvon Webster, USF; ILB Mike Mauti (268); QB Ryan Griffin (275); CB Dax Swanson (277); TE Joseph Fauria (281); RB Michael Ford (292)...

SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #55 on: Apr 11, 2013 at 07:51 »

Bjorn Werner tumbling down the board from when I last looked in late Feb.  wasn't Penso in on him Y2's obligatory Noles pump?

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #56 on: Apr 11, 2013 at 07:56 »

Looking at the Mocks at NFLDS, I think they Steelers go WR or Vaccaro and not a LB like Jones or Werner

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #57 on: Apr 11, 2013 at 10:16 »

Bjorn Werner tumbling down the board from when I last looked in late Feb.  wasn't Penso in on him Y2's obligatory Noles pump?

The more I look at some of the pass rushers mocked at the top of the draft (Jarvis Jones, Bjoern Werner, Damontre Moore), the less I like them as a R1 pick.  I'm still on board with Dion Jordan and Ziggy Ansah, but I don't think Jones is a fit at OLB for us, I don't see Werner as anything special as a 3-4 OLB, and Moore IMO would be a fail there.  I don't see any of them having the sand at the POA, or the quickness to get off as a pass rusher in the 3-4.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #58 on: Apr 11, 2013 at 10:28 »

Looking at the Mocks at NFLDS, I think they Steelers go WR or Vaccaro and not a LB like Jones or Werner

I'm not sold on Vaccaro.  Solid, but not a game-changer, and not worth a 1.17.  A mid-R2?  Sure.  I have Shamarko Thomas and Matt Elam over Vaccaro right now, and Cyprien close behind.

WR, I think there are 4 possibilities at 1.17.  Tavon Austin will, I think, be gone.  He's in my top 10 overall: don't care about the size, he's got Wallace type speed, good hands, good routes, sized about like Welker or Harvin but remarkably durable.  Comes in right away as a guy who can KR/PR, who can run out of the backfield, or contribute at any of the 3 WR positions, not just slot - put him outside on a taller CB and he gets right by them.

I have Patterson next with some caveats.  Rumors now have him falling out of R1, BS IMO.  He's a guy who can flip the field in a heartbeat.  Can also contribute now as KR/PR or running out of the backfield, but questions about IQ, route running and hands need worked out.  I see him as Wallace-PLUS.  Same kinds of concerns as Wallace, but bigger size, better as a runner and returner.

I have Deandre Hopkins in my top 17, even though pundits have him more 1c/2a.  Hopkins just gets it done, gets separation, good hands, clutch.  That's worth 1.17 to me.  I also have Keenan Allen still in there, despite slow pro day runs.  I think he'll get that speed back and without the injury, I have no doubt he's in the top 10 or 15 convo.  He's got some sneaky-fast moves, nice hands, good playmaking skills.  Plays skinny but has a solid frame.

Not sold on Woods, don't like his separation, see this as a nagging problem.  I think Hunter is close to mid-R1 consideration and could be a very good pro.  I like Patton, but maybe as a R2 alternative.  Stedman Bailey is getting rated as a R3/R4 guy, but I'd put a higher grade on him.  If we got him in R3, giddyup.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #59 on: Apr 11, 2013 at 10:35 »

Not set in stone, but my top 17:

1.   Luke Joekel
2.   Eric Fisher
3.   Jonathan Cooper
4.   Lane Johnson
5.   Chance Warmack
6.   Tyvon Austin
7.   Dion Jordan
8.   Star Lotulelei
9.   Ezekiel Ansah
10.   Johnthan Banks
11.   Dee Milliner
12.   Xavier Rhodes
13.   Cordarelle Patterson
14.   Desmond Trufant
15.   Deandre Hopkins
16.   Arthur Brown
17.   Keenan Allen

Pretty good with the top 13.  The next 4 could certainly get bumped.  IMO, the clusters of value are OT, OG, DL, CB, WR, in that order somewhat.  If we came away with any of the OTs, score.  Ditto either of the OGs.  Or Austin.

Pages: 1 ... 5 [6] 7 ... 28   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: