Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Dec 17, 2014 at 20:46 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 [9] 10 ... 28   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013 Steelers draft  (Read 17713 times)
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #80 on: Apr 22, 2013 at 11:10 »

Here's something to chew on.

On the drive in this morning, they (NFLRadio) happened to be talking about this year's QB crop; how mediocre it is, the possibility that we won't see a QB drafted at all in R1, etc., etc.  

Anyway, got me thinking, if one of the top 3 guys (say Barkley, Smith and I guess, Nassib) is there in R2 for Pittsburgh, do you take him?  What about if one of those guys is still there when they pick in R3?

Sooner or later, Pittsburgh's gotta draft a realistic successor or at least a guy that can be possibly be groomed for that role.  Late draft pick fliers (i.e. R6 or later) are just temporary roster filler.  They need to bring in some real "talent" at that spot.

I admit that I haven't been following this stuff that closely lately, but all things considered, I can say that I wouldn't be too upset if they used their R3 on one of those guys.  R2 might be pushing it, but the thought would cross my mind.
« Last Edit: Apr 22, 2013 at 15:29 by aj_law » Logged

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #81 on: Apr 22, 2013 at 15:48 »

Anyway, got me thinking, if one of the top 3 guys (say Barkley, Smith and I guess, Nassib) is there in R2 for Pittsburgh, do you take him?  What about if one of those guys is still there when they pick in R3?

Absolutely not.  Terrible year to draft QBs, and the ROI of a R2-3 QB versus R2-3 WR, LB, CB, OL, or S would be awful.

Sooner or later, Pittsburgh's gotta draft a realistic successor or at least a guy that can be possibly be groomed for that role.  Late draft pick fliers (i.e. R6 or later) are just temporary roster filler.  They need to bring in some real "talent" at that spot.[/url]

I agree, but again, not the year for it.  There are a few late round guys you could roll the dice on, but odds are he's a backup at best.  Still, ROI for R6-7 backup >>> Barks, Gen0, or Nass in the first 3.

2014 you have a much better class of prospects, IMO, unless some of these guys regress.  Teddy Bridgewater (Louisville), Aaron Murray (UGA), and AJ McCarron (Bama) are better than the guys you mentioned, IMO.  Derek Carr, David Fales, and Tajh Boyd are worth watching.

Steelers have been linked to Tyler Bray, although I think it may be that they're really interested in WRs Patterson and Hunter.  If we take Bray I will shit barbed wire.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #82 on: Apr 22, 2013 at 21:44 »

I agree that it's a little too early to start thinking of drafting Ben's replacement.  Keep filling backup role with mid to late round guys and vets (preferably upgrading what we have).  I look at drafting a QB high when you're a couple years out from replacing your star.  That way the draftee has time to develop, but if he doesn't look like he's panning out you can redraft or pick up a FA if needed.

If you draft your successor now, odds are his rookie contract runs out and he goes elsewhere before he becomes the replacement.  Plus, as noted, we have too many holes to fill right now to take a clipboard holder early.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #83 on: Apr 23, 2013 at 11:11 »

Howie Cosell's lad Greg has an interesting mock.

Has Arians/Zona taking Tavon Austin at 6, which I've thought likely for weeks now.  Just fits.

He has Bama CB Milliner fall to us, whom we take over guys like Ansah and Vaccaro.  I actually like that.  Milliner is my 2nd rated CB behind Banks, but most gurus have Banks as a R2 guy due to him coming back from injury.  I also have Milliner and X. Rhodes just about even, FWIW.  In Milliner, you get a guy who's like a Charles Tillman, a tough player who's rarely burned.  I could live with that at 1.17.

Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #84 on: Apr 23, 2013 at 11:59 »

Has Arians/Zona taking Tavon Austin at 6, which I've thought likely for weeks now.  Just fits.

He has Bama CB Milliner fall to us, whom we take over guys like Ansah and Vaccaro.  I actually like that.  Milliner is my 2nd rated CB behind Banks, but most gurus have Banks as a R2 guy due to him coming back from injury.  I also have Milliner and X. Rhodes just about even, FWIW.  In Milliner, you get a guy who's like a Charles Tillman, a tough player who's rarely burned.  I could live with that at 1.17.

No way Milliner falls that far.  The more I hear about Ansah the more I think he is a project. 

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #85 on: Apr 23, 2013 at 15:10 »

No way Milliner falls that far.  The more I hear about Ansah the more I think he is a project. 

I don't think so either.  But I didn't think DDC would fall to us last year.

Lots of (likely, smoke) stories about Milliner's srugeries being a concern, how the kid from Houston is better, etc. 

Ansah WOULD be a project, and some folks don't think he can play in space.  Hell, if we have Woodley at OLB (6'2", 265#) we can play Ansah (6'5", 271#).  Plus Ansah would be sort of the Troy of the fr7, a guy who could play end in a 40 front package, rush, drop into coverage, loop inside.  I think he will progress quickly.

Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #86 on: Apr 23, 2013 at 16:09 »

Any truth to the rumor that Jarvis Jones scored a 30 on the wonderlic?

I think Jarvis in the first and Robert Woods in the second would make me happy. However I have a feeling  we will trade back in the first to around 24-27.

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #87 on: Apr 23, 2013 at 22:15 »

Ansah's on the board at 1.17 and they pass him up?

Think I'd rather take a cheese grater to my coin purse.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #88 on: Apr 24, 2013 at 10:43 »

Jones = + pass rusher, - run defender.  With the medical flags and slow runs, let the Jets have him.  He might have scored a 30 on the Wonderlic, if there was a decimal place error.

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #89 on: Apr 24, 2013 at 11:01 »

However I have a feeling  we will trade back in the first to around 24-27.

Unfortunately, I think there are going to be a LOT of teams looking to do the same.  With the depth of quality talent, I expect many more will want to slide back than move up; can't make the move if they can't find a partner.

Pages: 1 ... 8 [9] 10 ... 28   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: