Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 27, 2014 at 04:58 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 [10] 11 ... 28   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013 Steelers draft  (Read 17439 times)
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #90 on: Apr 24, 2013 at 11:21 »

Oh, and just wanted to say that I think EJ Manuel will be the best QB to come out this year.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #91 on: Apr 24, 2013 at 14:09 »

Oh, and just wanted to say that I think EJ Manuel will be the best QB to come out this year.

Could be.  I don't really have a feel for who these QBs will be similar to, although one player comparison I read for Manuel was Jason Campbell.  Yay.

Heard Donovan McNabb on the radio comparing Mike Glennon to Big Ben.  Shut... THE FUCK... up.  Said both have big arms but can't move well.  That Ichabod Crane motherfucker's gonna DIE the first time he gets hit by some of the shit Ben shakes off like a butterfly just landed on him. 

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #92 on: Apr 24, 2013 at 20:09 »

Could be.  I don't really have a feel for who these QBs will be similar to, although one player comparison I read for Manuel was Jason Campbell.  Yay.

About the only similarity that Manuel shares with Campbell is his skin color.  If we're following that lead, he's more like a Steve McNair (but much more accurate) than a Jason Campbell.

Heard Donovan McNabb on the radio comparing Mike Glennon to Big Ben.  Shut... THE FUCK... up.  Said both have big arms but can't move well.  That Ichabod Crane motherfucker's gonna DIE the first time he gets hit by some of the shit Ben shakes off like a butterfly just landed on him. 

Donovan McNabb : football analysis :: Ray Lewis : role model

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #93 on: Apr 24, 2013 at 20:30 »

As much as Manuel : Campbell doesn't fit, Manuel : McNair doesn't, either.  It's a difficult class to read.  I wouldn't take any QB in this class early.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #94 on: Apr 25, 2013 at 08:37 »

Prediction:  Steelers draft Texas S Kenny Vaccaro at 1.17.

Why I like it:   Vaccaro will be a solid player for years.

Why I dislike it:  If Vaccaro is taken with either of the elite OGs (Cooper or Warmack) on the board, it will be a missed opportunity to finally shore up the OL.  Vaccaro is not a game-changer a la Polamalu, Reed, etc.  There is plenty of value at S in later rounds. 

Other predictions: Cardinals draft Tavon Austin.  Steelers are fixated with Mich. St. RB LeVeon Bell and take him in R2, with positional value issues similar to taking a S in R1.  Patriots draft 5 TEs.  No QB is drafted 1-20. 

Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #95 on: Apr 25, 2013 at 09:03 »

Dulac was on yesterday and said the Steelers are really looking for an offensive play maker in round one.  He said they are in LOVE with Patterson (size, ability to take it to the house) and that Haley is really pushing for Eifert.  He said they really want a big target (which doesn't really make sense, what if the smaller target is a more productive player?).

Reason I'm posting this is Dulac's been pretty close in the past with predicting who they would take.  I'm completely on the Eifert bandwagon, I just think he can contribute immediately and would make a scary combo with Heath once healthy for at least a few years.  Not sold on Patterson.  I would also love one of the elite guards in round 1.

Anyone else thing Jone's age (23) factors into the selection?  Seems like Tomlin likes younger guys (Timmons was 20 when drafted).  I dunno, the spinal issue just scares me at this point, they really can't afford this year's pick to bust out with an injury.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #96 on: Apr 25, 2013 at 09:20 »

Wish the local yokels would produce some draft content like this.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #97 on: Apr 25, 2013 at 09:32 »

Dulac was on yesterday and said the Steelers are really looking for an offensive play maker in round one.  He said they are in LOVE with Patterson (size, ability to take it to the house) and that Haley is really pushing for Eifert.  He said they really want a big target (which doesn't really make sense, what if the smaller target is a more productive player?).

Reason I'm posting this is Dulac's been pretty close in the past with predicting who they would take.  I'm completely on the Eifert bandwagon, I just think he can contribute immediately and would make a scary combo with Heath once healthy for at least a few years.  Not sold on Patterson.  I would also love one of the elite guards in round 1.

Anyone else thing Jone's age (23) factors into the selection?  Seems like Tomlin likes younger guys (Timmons was 20 when drafted).  I dunno, the spinal issue just scares me at this point, they really can't afford this year's pick to bust out with an injury.

Age almost certainly factors, regardless of what the FO says - for R1 guys at least.  Both Patterson and Eifert are 22, FWIW.  I've spoken my peace on Jones.  No at 17, no in R1.  He'll be a productive player elsewhere, maybe.  Patterson is a gamechanger for sure.  Give him the piggy on those stupid end-arounds that haven't worked for about a decade now, and suddenly they do work.  Big boy can take kicks.  Once he's got the ball, he's a threat to break it off and score.  Issue, of course, is getting the ball:  he's smart enough to tackle the Wendy's menu, but a pro playbook will take a while; you round off routes in the pros, you give the other team a pick-6; maybe his hands get better through reps.  In any event, could be another Wallace, give or take - better size, more flexibility, but probably longer learning curve IMO.

Eifert is solid but unspectacular.  Seems to be in the Heath/Witten mold, and has the ability to make the tough catches.  Reliable.  Needs to thicken up to take on rushers, and would be a nice co-TE threat/tall WR.  I'm not sure I see a guy who's going to regularly rack up 800+ yards, but maybe.  I guess I'm warming to him somewhat, I just don't see explosive speed and separation, although he works the sidelines well and does make the tough catch in traffic.  And ND didn't have shit for receivers in 2012, so it was pretty obvious where the ball was going. 

Bottom line:  Patterson = higher ceiling, lower floor; Eifert the safer bet.

pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #98 on: Apr 25, 2013 at 12:54 »

Eifert is solid but unspectacular.  Seems to be in the Heath/Witten mold

Racist.

But for reals, no to Eifert in round one.  He does not address a major area of need.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #99 on: Apr 25, 2013 at 13:48 »

And of course, Witten and Miller were top-5 TEs in yardage, and both are very good at what they do.  I'm comparing style of play only. 

I do agree that it's so low on the list of needs (Miller, Spaeth, Paulson, David Johnson are all here) that it seems to be pretty far down the list, unless you strictly go BPA and consider Eifert as much WR as TE.  Then you can make a case.

Pages: 1 ... 9 [10] 11 ... 28   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: