Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 28, 2014 at 01:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 20 [21] 22 ... 28   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013 Steelers draft  (Read 13326 times)
Y2Joyce
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #200 on: Apr 26, 2013 at 21:09 »

A civil war hero

What's his time in the furlong?

JUST LIKE JACKIE GLANDVULL SAID YA NO WHAT ENIFFEL MEANS? NOT FURLONG THE WEIGH YORE GOIN. THANX U $O MUCH NEEEEXT. BISH

Steelers 58-15 when I am in attendance.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #201 on: Apr 26, 2013 at 21:46 »

BTW, Elam, Arthur Brown AND Williams?

Impact players on defense. 

Kinda the direction that I was hoping Pittsburgh would take.

FUCK the Ravens.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #202 on: Apr 26, 2013 at 22:16 »

Sub par vision prevents him from seeing cut back lines and sees him running up the back of his lead blocker too often.

Super.  Just what we need as we go to a zbs.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
scballersc

Saw Ben on Halloween (pre-Milledgeville)

« Reply #203 on: Apr 26, 2013 at 22:30 »

This draft has been very humorous for me amidst all the TEO hate on this Board.  We go out and draft an outside backer that is slower than Teo and follow that with a running back that Teo shut down each of the last two years and yes, now people are pissed.

That said I don't hate out R1 and R3 picks.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #204 on: Apr 27, 2013 at 00:03 »

This draft has been very humorous for me amidst all the TEO hate on this Board.  We go out and draft an outside backer that is slower than Teo and follow that with a running back that Teo shut down each of the last two years and yes, now people are pissed.

I didn't rate Teo low because of his 40 time.  40 times are meaningless for the most part. For me it was more about his LOC (and poor performance against top level competition) as well as his demonstrated lack of intelligence.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #205 on: Apr 27, 2013 at 06:51 »

How the fuck is Bell any different from what we already have? We already have two grinders who can't turn the fucking corner. Jaysus!

Hope he proves me wrong. I don't mind him as a player, he's got potential. But I thought he'd actually still be there in round 3.

This was my feeling when I saw the pick.  Could be better than Dwyer or Redman but isn't different IMO

Would have preferred Drafting RB in the 4th-5th rds

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #206 on: Apr 27, 2013 at 07:17 »

I hate who the Ravens took. 

Seems like the Steelers war room has one name per round written on a little sheet of paper.  We got three guys, they should all play, but there's zero consideration of value.  Seems like years from now the discussion will be Yeah, but we COULDA had...

Wonder who the name is for R4.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #207 on: Apr 27, 2013 at 07:23 »

That said I don't hate out R1 and R3 picks.

Just a side note the every NFL GM passed on Te'o at least once.  So those who didn't see him as you do were in good company.

I never had an opinion on him on way or the other.  Would have been ok if the Steelers had taken him after the 1st Rd but I don't believe he is better than Jarvis Jones

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #208 on: Apr 27, 2013 at 07:29 »

I hate who the Ravens took. 

Seems like the Steelers war room has one name per round written on a little sheet of paper.  We got three guys, they should all play, but there's zero consideration of value.  Seems like years from now the discussion will be Yeah, but we COULDA had...

Wonder who the name is for R4.

I had hoped they would have followed the pathway they did last year with taking the best talent on the board (DeCastro)

Tunnel vision

Hope for a better feeling about today's picks

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #209 on: Apr 27, 2013 at 08:39 »

Possible R4 onwards:

NT Jesse Williams, Bama.  Really surprised he's not taken, had a R2 grade on him.  Have a feeling he's off before our pick, and also suspect the Steelers feel zippy with Mack, Ta'amu, Fangupo, and Snacks-on-call.  Williams is more an athletic NT, needs better anchor and push at the LOS, but would be OK here.

Texas OLB Alex Okafor.  Another surprise, had him as a R1/R2 guy.  Will Jarvis in R1 be >>> Okafor in R4, value-wise?  Visions of trading back for more picks, getting D. Hopkins, and a pass rusher later, will haunt.

Ohio St. OLB/ILB John Simon.  Steelers were interested.  Played DE but could he play LB?

UConn OLB/ILB Trevardo Williams, also a DE conversion, nice workout numbers and very productive player.  Great late value.

Illinois DE Akeem.  Played DT and some may see him as a 4-3 only, but could be a nice surprise at end.

Ohio St. OT Reid Fragel.  A TE conversion with lots of upside, could be a legit LT in a few, but very raw.

Bama OG/C/OT Barrett Jones.  Played every position on the Bama line, so versatility is a plus.  Could be a fit at LG, or as a utility guy at worst.  Some lingering foot issues drop him here, but should have been a R2 value at worst.  Held his own against top competition with said foot injury for several games.

Colo OT/OG David Bakhtiari and San Jose St. OT/OG David Quesenberry.  Both are smallish, nimble OTs who could fit the ZBS, or kick inside to OG and have nice pulling skills.  Good value R4-5.

James Madison OG Earl Watford.  A small school guy I think will make the transition to the bigs just fine, also good strength and speed.  R5.

LA Tech OT Jordan Mills.  Mostly RT, needs some polish, could be worth it later.

UCLA OG Jeff Baca.  See Bakh./Quesen. notes.

The QBs.  I'm not a fan of this class, and it's not surprising only 3 are off - surprised at which 3, but... Syr. QB Nassib and USC QB Barkley look like backups.  Miami (OH) QB Dysert isn't Ben, sorry, another backup.  Ark. QB Tyler Wilson might be worth it around here, had a bad senior season but one can understand it, could develop into a slinger if you can work out the throwing motion.  Some late rounders worth a shot:  Arizona QB Matt Scott has some nice mobility for R5/6; Southern Utah QB Brad Sorensen, Duke QB Sean Renfree, Tulane QB Ryan Griffin are all R6/7/UDFA guys to consider for raw skills.  Aaron's lil bro, Vandy QB Jordan Rodgers, might be.

I expect a run on the QBs like Barks, Nassib, Bray, Wilson starting R4.

RB appears off our board, but academically there is GREAT value there.  UCLA's Jon Franklin was one of my top 3 faves this year.  Hell, I'd still consider him as a speed/COP guy in R4.  Stanford's Stepfan Taylor will be as good a pro as Bell, IMO, hope I'm wrong there.  Value, again.  Whole buncha guys who would have been on my bard R4-5 as the amazing value cluster at RB (Gillislee, Graham, Jamison, Barner).  Even with a full bunch of RBs, there are guys I'd look for as UDFAs for sure:  Vandy's Zac Stacy, ND's Cierre Wood, LSU's Spencer Ware, Temple's Montel Harris, UCF's Latavius Murray, Stony Brook's Miguel Maysonet.  I think Murray and Maysonet will get drafted ~R5 and be nice sleepers.

WR will also prolly be off our board, and it shouldn't be.  We're down to Brown and Wheaton and the oldies if Sanders goes next year, and besides, always good to stock depth besides the Geritol set.  I would take another WR if the value was there anywhere from R4 onward.

LA Tech's Quinton Patton looked like a R2/R3 guy to me.  Sort of in the mold of Brown and Sanders.

Tenn/Tenn Tech WR Da'Rick Rogers has the size (6'3") and skill to be one of the biggest upside guys, but has the pot flag.  Since when does that stop us these days?  I'd take Rogers in R4 in a second.

KSU's WR Chris Harper reminds me kinda sorta of Hines, not flashy, just solid, R4 or 5 easily.

A&M's Ryan Swope is the white Wes Welker.  He's got speed to pair with Wheaton.

Okla WR Kenny Stills is a decent R5 or later value.

Elon WR Aaron Mellette is a developmental guy worth R6 onward.  

Ark. St. WR Josh Jarboe gets special late round attention.  Guy had all the promise of an AJ Green or Julio Jones and had issues at the collegiate level.  Looks to have his head figured out and just needs a chance and a lot of work.  One of those R6 comps for a size/upside guy?  You bet.

VA Tech's Marcus Davis and Corey Fuller are worth kicking tires on late.

A few TEs:  Mich St. TE Dion Sims looks like a quint blocking end, with some OK hand skills.  UCLA's Christian Joseph Fauria has bloodlines and size (6'7"), and was talked about as a high draft pick early on, but slid badly - ?.  Worth a late flyer.  Colo TE Nick Kasa is a converted DE with size (6'6") and some upside, also a late flyer.  Ark TE Chris Gragg is only 6'3" but would be more of a tall, thick receiver anyway.  Rice's TE Luke Wilson wasn't as productive as teammate Vance McDonald (2.55 to 49ers), but he is worth trying out - tested at top 10 speed, jumps, etc. and has the size (6'5"), could be a very deep sleeper.

Some ILB contenders create a nice value cluster R4 onward.  Rugers ILB Khaseem Green played OLB, as most of my targets here would have.  PSU's bionic man Michael Mauti is a high character, want-to guy with good leadership - we need a guy to call it on the field after Foote.  Not as high on NC's Kevin Reddick or Howard's Keith Pough as some are, but both have some thump in their game.  Cornelius Washington was a little used DE at UGA, but tested off the charts and would be a nice OLB to pair with former Dog Cookie Jarvis, even as a backup.  Florida's Jelani Jenkins was a very good OLB but would kick inside to ILB here, could be a late flyer.  Same could be said of his teammate Lerentee McCray.  Iowa St. ILB AJ Klein is a lunchpail kid worth a late round.

Wish I had my CB notes, but there's a lot going on here.  At R4, if Ore. St.'s Jordan Poyer is there he's a run to the podium value.  LSU's Tharold Simon is worth it if he moves the damned car: another LSU DB who should be solid in the bigs.  W&M's BW Webb is worth a late look.  GA Tech's Rod Sweeting is a R6 guy.  L-L CB Melvin White is worth a R7, from Ike's alma.  I think the Steelers have Utah's State's Will Davis inked in at R5, and rightly so.  He's a good fit at that spot.

I'd look at some guys late for value:  Iowa's Micah Hyde is being undervalued, Cal'sSteve Williams has traits, Okla's Demontre Hurst ditto, and a few others.  I really wish I had those notes dammit.  Wait!  I do:

R1 –Johnthan Banks, Mississippi St.; Dee Milliner, Alabama; Desmond Trufant, Washington; Xavier Rhodes, Florida St.
R2 – Logan Ryan, Rutgers; Jamar Taylor, Boise St.

R3 – Darius Slay, Mississippi St.; Jordan Poyer, Oregon St.
R4 – Micah Hyde, Iowa; Robert Alford, Southeastern Louisiana
R5 – Tyrann Mathieu, LSU; Leon McFadden, San Diego St.; B.W. Webb, William & Mary; Terry Hawthorne, Illinois; Dwayne Gratz, Connecticut; Will Davis, Utah St.
R6 – Steve Williams, Cal; Demontre Hurst, Oklahoma; Blidi Wreh-Wilson, Connecticut; Brandon McGee, Miami; Sanders Commings, Georgia
R7 – Rod Sweeting, Georgia Tech

But probably the best cluster of value, and intersection of need, is at S.

R1 –  N/A
R2 – Shamarko Thomas, Syracuse; Matt Elam, Florida; Jonathan Cyprien, FIU; Kenny Vaccaro, Texas; Phillip Thomas, Fresno St.; Bacarri Rambo, Georgia; David Amerson, NC State
R3 – Duke Williams, Nevada; Shawn Williams, Georgia
R4 – T.J. McDonald, USC; Eric Reid, LSU; D.J. Swearinger, South Carolina
R5 – Ray Ray Armstrong, Miami; J.J. Wilcox, Georgia Southern; Tony Jefferson, Oklahoma
R6 – Earl Wolff, NC State; Josh Evans, Florida
R7 – Rontez Miles, California (PA); Robert Lester, Alabama; Rashard Hall, Clemson; Tharold Simon, LSU

UDFA – Cooper Taylor, Richmond; Keelan Johnson, Arizona St.; Bradley McDougald, Kansas; Jawanza Starling, USC
DND – Zeke Motta, Notre Dame

My R4 and R5 are the Thomases, no question, if there.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Pages: 1 ... 20 [21] 22 ... 28   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: