Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 30, 2014 at 23:11 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 24 [25] 26 ... 28   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013 Steelers draft  (Read 15038 times)
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #240 on: Apr 27, 2013 at 13:31 »

Ooooh... almost as good as Tannehill! Hip fucking hooray.

Not the most ringing endorsement, but have to remember what (in my mind) the goal is.  This is not Ben's replacement in all likelihood.  Ben hopefully has at least 5 years left, and don't see Landry sitting behind someone for that long if he's truly starter material.  However, if he is able to to be close to starter or lower tier starter status, then he can work as a solid, reliable, HEALTHY backup, which is something we absolutely do not have right now.

If we get some wins from him over the next 3 years, then that's about all you can ask from most 4th rounders.

Then 2016ish we can start looking for the for real replacement for Ben.

I gotcha.  Just seems like we have so many immediate needs.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #241 on: Apr 27, 2013 at 13:32 »

Landry is a solid pick. He is a winner. How nice would it be to have a capable back up we knew could win some games and wasn't made out of glass.

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #242 on: Apr 27, 2013 at 13:50 »

My notes on our R5:

Terry Hawthorne (156), Illinois (6’0”, 195#, 4.44), split time between WR and CB for the Illini, and shows some nice fluidity and reaction.  Some durability questions and will need to develop better discipline in covering routes.  A solid R5 value.

Did I call that or what?

Good measurables, will have time to develop his skills.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #243 on: Apr 27, 2013 at 13:52 »

Terry Hawthorne, CB, Illinois
Height: 6-0. Weight: 195.
40 Time: 4.44.
Projected Round (2013): 4-5.
4/24/13: Hawthorne was one of the best players on the field at the East-West Shrine. He did very well in man coverage and was physical. Hawthorne also showed more ball skills than previously thought. The strong week should help him on draft day.

Hawthorne followed that up with a good Combine and ran faster than expected. He is a sleeper corner who could turn into a steal.

Aside from a rough game against Louisiana Tech's Quinton Patton, Hawthorne was playing well in 2012 until he suffered a concussion against Wisconsin. He was knocked unconscious and was taken off the field in an ambulance. Hawthorne was having a tremendous outing against Badgers cornerback Jared Abbrederis, a speedy receiver who is a tough coverage matchup.

Hawthorne returned to action after missing one game. He had 44 tackles and six passes broken up this season. Hawthorne also averaged 22 yards per kick return.

9/1/12: Hawthorne played better as he progressed through his junior season last year. The first-year starter totaled 60 tackles, eight pass breakups and three interceptions. In the season finale against UCLA, he had a big game with eight tackles, 1.5 for a loss, one pass breakup and an interception returned 39 yards for a touchdown.

Hawthorne was a backup the previous in 2010 and 2009 with two total interceptions. He has a nice physical skill set to work with and could push his stock up with a strong senior season. Illinois is said to be experimenting with Hawthorne at wide receiver along with returning punts and kicks.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #244 on: Apr 27, 2013 at 14:05 »

A ton of value left at LB, WR, RB, and OL.

IF there's a suitor for Dwyer, I'd take a R6 and a 2014 late rounder.  Draft a speed COP guy like Barner.

If not, take 6. FSU PK Dustin Hopkins; 6 (comp) OSU OT Reid Fragel; 7. Ark. St. WR Josh Jarboe.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #245 on: Apr 27, 2013 at 14:09 »

A ton of value left at LB, WR, RB, and OL.

IF there's a suitor for Dwyer, I'd take a R6 and a 2014 late rounder.  Draft a speed COP guy like Barner.

If not, take 6. FSU PK Dustin Hopkins; 6 (comp) OSU OT Reid Fragel; 7. Ark. St. WR Josh Jarboe.

Love me some Jarboe

KeystoneKC
Old School Member

« Reply #246 on: Apr 27, 2013 at 14:37 »

I'm wondering why Joe Kruger is still on the board.  Where did everyone have him slotted?

Cleveland:  The only NFL city to never play in, or host, a Superbowl.  That bears repeating.
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #247 on: Apr 27, 2013 at 14:44 »

My notes on our R5:

Terry Hawthorne (156), Illinois (6’0”, 195#, 4.44), split time between WR and CB for the Illini, and shows some nice fluidity and reaction.  Some durability questions and will need to develop better discipline in covering routes.  A solid R5 value.

Did I call that or what?

Good measurables, will have time to develop his skills.

Thanks for this

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #248 on: Apr 27, 2013 at 14:58 »

Ooooh... almost as good as Tannehill! Hip fucking hooray.

Not the most ringing endorsement, but have to remember what (in my mind) the goal is.  This is not Ben's replacement in all likelihood.  Ben hopefully has at least 5 years left, and don't see Landry sitting behind someone for that long if he's truly starter material.  However, if he is able to to be close to starter or lower tier starter status, then he can work as a solid, reliable, HEALTHY backup, which is something we absolutely do not have right now.

If we get some wins from him over the next 3 years, then that's about all you can ask from most 4th rounders.

Then 2016ish we can start looking for the for real replacement for Ben.

I gotcha.  Just seems like we have so many immediate needs.

John Simon would have been my pick. 

Maybe I am wrong but I don't see an infusion of guys with leadership traits, such as the Ravens got with Arthur brown and John Simon.

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #249 on: Apr 27, 2013 at 15:12 »

I'm wondering why Joe Kruger is still on the board.  Where did everyone have him slotted?

If he is still there, I take him

Pages: 1 ... 24 [25] 26 ... 28   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: