Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 20, 2014 at 00:48 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 21 Players could be on the way out?  (Read 1534 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Dec 24, 2012 at 11:20 »

Article here.

I won't recap the entire article, but IMO...

UFAs

Batch, gone.  Hampton, gone, unless we do get him for ~ vet min.  Mac starts, and either Ta'amu or rookie supports.  Plax, what he even do here?  Foote, gone.  Solid against the run, everyone loves the wily vet, but FFS he got burned a lot in the pass.  Either Spence or a rook will take over.  Lefty, they'll bring back.  Allen, need to get younger, but might keep him cheap.  Starks, would be worth a reasonable deal.  I think they get something done, with an eye toward trying Gilbert or Adams at LT.  LS Warren, gone.  Pope, excommunicated.  B. Johnson, gone.  Mendy, already packed.  Foster, will get offers, good player we don't need to overpay.  Gone.  Legursky, probably won't get offers, we'll sign him to a smallish deal.  K. Lewis had a very good year, I'd like to make him a priority, have a feeling he leaves, making CB an even bigger draft need.  Mundy will close out the mistake that was the 2008 draft, bye.  Wallace, get the fuck out and hope for a good comp. Justin King?  Who?

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Dec 24, 2012 at 11:27 »

Under Contract

Keisel, I think they'll keep, as Heyward hasn't started, and at worst Keisel can be a backup/rotational guy.  Silverback is going, IMO.  $19M over the next 2 years, and his knees and back are not there.  I don't see how they can balance his future salaries and production.  Colon, I just want to cut on principle.  Cotchery will stay despite the high cap to production, because we're just too thin at WR.

Not mentioned in the article is Woodley.  He's been an unproductive fatass, starting every year slow, and finishing this year that way too.  His rep exceeds his play, and if we could trade his ass I would.  Cap hits of $13M, $12M, $13M and $11M the next 4 years?  I don't want to do one of those restructures via extension with him until he can waddle his fatness onto the field and hustle up some pass rush consistently.  We might have to bite the bullet out of necessity, but I'd look very hard at where Adrian Robinson and Chris Carter are, and focus on an OLB in the draft.

SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Dec 24, 2012 at 19:56 »

I would keep Will Allen.   No way Troy plays more than six games

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
Captain Chaos
Old School Member

Underachieving Member

« Reply #3 on: Dec 25, 2012 at 09:34 »

Lefty, they'll bring back.

Please, God, no!  Can't we find a guy like Kurt Cousins in Washington and begin the grooming process?  Ben has many more games in his rear view mirror than he does ahead of him.  Lefty's next snap in black & gold will be one too many.

Just one man's opinion.

"It's a big game because it's the next game." - Mike Tomlin
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Dec 26, 2012 at 10:06 »

Lefty, they'll bring back.

Please, God, no!  Can't we find a guy like Kurt Cousins in Washington and begin the grooming process?  Ben has many more games in his rear view mirror than he does ahead of him.  Lefty's next snap in black & gold will be one too many.

I agree, but doubt they will.  Just sayin'.

Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Dec 27, 2012 at 22:07 »

Harrison - Only stays if he gets minimal interest, which I doubt. Someone will overpay him, and he's got to take the biggest payout he can get at his age/health.

Lewis - Guy was huge this year, think they'll find a way to keep him.

Keisel - Hoping that health depts. in other cities will require him to shave his beard. When he naturally refuses, we re-sign him cheap.

Batch/Leftwich - I'd still take Batch, but Gary will be much cheaper. Too many other needs to afford money or picks on a backup qb.

Hoping and praying that Spence, Adams, and DeCastro can get healthy and come through big next season. If not, it could be a tough couple of years. As previously pointed out, the Oline was better but still not good. Foote HAS to be replaced, although I like him and appreciate his efforts. Reminds me a little of Levon Kirkland's final year in Pgh.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 2012 at 07:16 »

Harrison - Only stays if he gets minimal interest, which I doubt. Someone will overpay him, and he's got to take the biggest payout he can get at his age/health.

92 is under contract this year ($10M) and next ($9M).  So you're saying they would cut him if he didn't restructure?

SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Dec 28, 2012 at 11:18 »

92 is under contract this year ($10M) and next ($9M).  So you're saying they would cut him if he didn't restructure?

I would hope they would cut rather than restructure Harrison.  They will restructure the contracts of Timmons and Woodley, which makes more sense than pushing more dead money in to Harrison's '14 year due to Harrison's age and recent health history.

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Dec 28, 2012 at 12:10 »

I would hope they would cut rather than restructure Harrison.  They will restructure the contracts of Timmons and Woodley, which makes more sense than pushing more dead money in to Harrison's '14 year due to Harrison's age and recent health history.

Exactly.  But I hate to see it end this way for Harrison.

Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Dec 31, 2012 at 11:13 »

Sorry, I didn't state that clearly.

I think Harrison knows that the deal is to get cut or restructure. Think that he will opt to get cut and wait on someone to overpay him at his age. I also hate to see him go, but it does not seem worth it at this point to pay him at that level and he is going to want to make as much as he can to wrap up his career.

And I don't blame him, or the Steelers, one bit for that.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
The Emperor
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #10 on: Jan 05, 2013 at 14:24 »

Here is how I see it
Steelers 2013 Unrestricted Free Agents
Mike Wallace - keep
S Will Allen - keep
QB Charlie Batch - gone
WR Plaxico Burress - gone
S Da'Mon Cromartie-Smith - gone
LB Larry Foote - gone
RG Ramon Foster - gone
WR David Gilreath - gone
NT Casey Hampton - keep
CB Justin King - gone
QB Byron Leftwich - keep
OG Doug Legursky - keep
CB Keenan Lewis -  gone
LB Marshall McFadden - gone
RB Rashard Mendenhall - gone
FS Ryan Mundy - keep
TE Leonard Pope - gone
LT Max Starks - keep
NT Alameda Ta'amu - gone
LS Greg Warren - keep
2013 Restricted Free Agents

RB Jonathan Dwyer  keep
NT Steve McLendon - keep
RB Issac Redman - keep
WR Emmanuel Sanders - keep
LB Stevenson Sylvester - gone
CB Josh Victorian - gone
« Last Edit: Jan 05, 2013 at 14:27 by The Emperor » Logged

Life is to short to root for a losing team!
The Emperor
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #11 on: Jan 05, 2013 at 14:36 »

interesting article
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/12/steelers-2013-salary-cap-numbers/

Life is to short to root for a losing team!
DrRockit
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #12 on: Jan 05, 2013 at 15:02 »

I think Wallace will be dropping passes for someone else next year.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #13 on: Jan 05, 2013 at 21:27 »

I think Wallace will be dropping passes for someone else next year.

Not only do I think it, I hope it.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: