Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 28, 2014 at 05:25 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are the Steelers moving toward a 4-3 Scheme?  (Read 534 times)
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« on: Mar 11, 2013 at 08:17 »

I'm a bit flummoxed by the fact that the team has given McClendon such a low tender. Hampton will be gone, and the only other NT will be Ta'amu -- who is one mistake away from being Rainey-ed.

So, if the team isn't protecting the NT spot, is it possible that the FO and coaches are phasing it out altogether? We are thin at LB, but if Ziggy and Heyward are DT in a 4-3, and we draft more DT/DE 4-3 types, the LB core might not need to be so deep.  Perhaps Woodley or Worilds could be a DE?

Or am I off my rocker, and the team's personnel is all wrong for the 4-3 scheme. I mean, I know current players arent ideal at each spot, but if they are rebuilding the defense anyhow, could this be the start of the conversion?

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Mar 11, 2013 at 11:38 »

STITCH TO THE 4-3 BEFORE ITS TO LATE!!  NO SUPPER BOWL WITH 3-4!!

Who was that...Oakdale?...Oak-something or other...

Lotta quality along the front 4, heck, front seven in this year's draft.  Wouldn't surprise me if they are looking at somebody like a John Jenkins as a plug and play.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Mar 11, 2013 at 12:10 »

What's the word on the kid from USC, Lolutelei, with the heart issue?  If he becomes DND, that hurts our chances of getting NT at 1.17.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Mar 11, 2013 at 14:33 »

Lotulelei (Utah) dropped from 320, 325# playing weight to 310#, and some have suggested that this was the issue, and that it's temporary.  He's still being tested, and IMO it's all or nothing:  if it's an issue, he drops way the hell down in the draft, otherwise he's top-10.

There are some decent DTs who could be NTs, but as is the case every year, not many, and not great.  Will know more when Star works out, but IMO the best NT right now would be Missouri Southern's Brandon Williams.  We could take him R2, but no later.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Mar 11, 2013 at 20:32 »

Will know more when Star works out, but IMO the best NT right now would be Missouri Southern's Brandon Williams.  We could take him R2, but no later.

So Williams is too high at 1.17, but prolly won't be there for us in r2?

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Mar 12, 2013 at 08:34 »

I should clarify that Star is the best NT if healthy and he tests well, otherwise Brandon Williams.  Hard to tell where some of these DTs will go.  1.17 is too high for Brandon Williams IMO, but he probably will be there R2.  By R3, we'd need to move up, or trade back in R2, hard to say.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Mar 12, 2013 at 15:51 »

Just finished my writeup on NTs.  Will wait to see how Star works out, but essentially it boils down to this.

We have McLendon, Ta'amu, and Hebron Fangupo, a guy I thought was worth developing from last year's draft.

Since we have 2 developmental guys, the 2-3 DTs who I might normally consider in later rounds of the draft aren't really worth picking up, IMO.  If we can get a premier NT, we're going to need to move in R1-2.  I have 5 guys slotted as R1-2 talents, and I sort of doubt any of them make it to our R3 pick.  Something tells me we're just going with McLendon though.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: