Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 24, 2014 at 07:13 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 ... 5 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Restructures and stuff  (Read 3416 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Feb 27, 2013 at 15:18 »

So Timmons and Ant Brown have restructured and Ben's negotiating.  Should open up enough room to sign draft picks, hopefully get Keenan Lewis and other UFAs we want back in the fold, and a reasonable FA like Breaston.  Not sure about some of the guys like Colon and Harrison, the big cap/age/injury guys.

For the most part, I like the guys we've set up visits with:  S Kenny Vaccaro, OG Jonathan Cooper, OT Lane Johnson, OLB/Wild Card Ziggy Ansah; those guys are all on my wish list at some level.  Also met with QB Geno Smith and DT/DE Jordan Hill.  Don't know that I'd pick Smith R1 and pretty sure he's gone before R2; how would Hill even fit into the 3-4?  Have to be as another smallish DE.  Really need another one?  Pass.  Unless they're picking his brain about a different player.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2013 at 16:43 »

Don't know that I'd pick Smith R1 and pretty sure he's gone before R2; how would Hill even fit into the 3-4?  Have to be as another smallish DE.  Really need another one?  Pass.  Unless they're picking his brain about a different player.

Let me be the first this draft season to say...

:smokescreen:

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2013 at 19:44 »

Tavon Austin?  Could be talking to Geno and looking at TA...

One of my top 10 R1 guys...

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Feb 28, 2013 at 10:53 »

40 faceplant aside, I like Shamarko Thomas as a mid round safety prospect.

Maybe Matt Elam if he's there in R2?

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Mar 01, 2013 at 07:09 »

Woodley's restructuring.

Stillers sign QB John Parker Wilson.  That should fix that.

Agree on Elam and Shamarko, and there are a few other S prospects I like.  Kid from Fresno looks underrated.

Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Mar 01, 2013 at 20:52 »

Am I missing it, or have they made any decisions regarding Batch and Gary C?

It's not the most pressing need, but I'm hoping to see a decent backup QB or draft someone to begin developing. And I'm talking about someone other than John Parker Wilson.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Mar 02, 2013 at 08:08 »

They're playing wait and see with the geriatrics. 

Breaston, no deal.  Yet.

SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Mar 03, 2013 at 16:51 »

SDepot.com thinks William Gay has signed with the Steelers

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/03/has-cb-william-gay-signed-back-with-the-steelers/

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Mar 04, 2013 at 08:46 »

SDepot.com thinks William Gay has signed with the Steelers

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/03/has-cb-william-gay-signed-back-with-the-steelers/

Yay.   Undecided

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Mar 04, 2013 at 11:02 »

Meh.  He a'ight...as long as he comes cheap and he's not asked to start.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Mar 04, 2013 at 11:41 »

Meh.  He a'ight...as long as he comes cheap and he's not asked to start.

Yeah, they have to run at Lewis to re-sing, and of course Ike and Cortez are ahead of Gay, Curtis Brown, and the miscellany of chumps.

Gay x3 years = 300%.

Bubby
N00b

« Reply #11 on: Mar 04, 2013 at 18:55 »

I kind of hate the whole restructuring approach. When they need to cut dead weight in the future, their hands are tied. The savings aren't the same. We don't have other options, but shit...it just keeps the cycle going.

GAY: Drop off is so steep after Taylor, Lewis, and Allen, so we could definitely use the depth. Here's to hoping Gay is just that: a cheap chump replacement. If so, that's fine. He's better than Josh Victorian. 

We've got to secure Lewis, though. Seriously.

Who will they dump to free up space? Dumping Colon and not re-signing Hampton would free up a lot of physical space if nothing else. I hope they drop Colon, though. He's got the bug and they need to face that. Troy does, too, but obviously brings so much more when healthy than Colon ever did. He's worth a gamble. Way I see it. Dump what you don't need, even if that means guys like Harrison who are the past, not the future of the franchise.

Draft RB and ILB early. Draft S, QB, LBs, NT, WRs later. If we had money, I'd speculate about free agency, but we don't. Probably just a couple Gay/Breaston level, no-splash types of signings. Last year's draft will have its impact this year, especially if Spence recovers. If Rainey and Shamu weren't such fuck ups, last years draft would actually look pretty good. 3/5ths of an offensive line and a potentially good ILB. Not bad, considering.

Second year of Haley will be better than the first, I think. I'm glad Mendenhall and Wallace will be gone. Neither is as good as their self-centered behavior would suggest. It's just locker room cancer at that point.

Bottom line: We need a RB in the draft. We need to retain Lewis. We need to cut the fat. Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Mar 11, 2013 at 14:14 »

Ramon Foster back for 3 years.  Guessing it's a reasonable deal, cap-wise.  Good move.  Now what for Colon?

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Mar 12, 2013 at 11:15 »

Dwyer signs his tender, wants to stay in Pitt.  Smart move.

ILB Dan Connor visiting, Larry Foote may join the Steelers West.  Connor was a solid collegiate player but was often injured at Carolina and Dallas, so this could be a solid pickup IF he stays healthy AND plays to potential.

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Mar 12, 2013 at 11:41 »

Dwyer signs his tender, wants to stay in Pitt.  Smart move.

ILB Dan Connor visiting, Larry Foote may join the Steelers West.  Connor was a solid collegiate player but was often injured at Carolina and Dallas, so this could be a solid pickup IF he stays healthy AND plays to potential.

Wouldn't mind if a player from Steelers West joined Pittsburgh.  Beanie Wells could be a nice, cheap option at RB.

Edit:  And, I agree that Connor would be a nice pickup.  Basically, a younger version of Foote.  Don't agree with reports that say Timmons will be moved to Harrison's spot though.
« Last Edit: Mar 12, 2013 at 11:44 by aj_law » Logged

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Mar 12, 2013 at 12:05 »

Timmons isn't going to play OLB except in Tomlin's short-lived dream of such, 2007.

Rumors that Foster's $6M/3 year makes Colon's $6M/1 year a cuttable offense.

Wells was hurt a lot, right?  Did he show much of anything?

Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #16 on: Mar 12, 2013 at 13:56 »

Foote and Plax sign with Stillers

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #17 on: Mar 12, 2013 at 15:24 »

Foote and Plax sign with Stillers

Guess they weren't impressed with Connor.

Plax?  Meh.  S'ok, I guess.  Ben's got his wingman back.  Ladies, who's DTF?  Bitches drink my shots!

Wells was hurt a lot, right?  Did he show much of anything?

Yeah, only had one decent season in 2011.  Knee issues have been a lingering problem.  Doesn't have great hands and isn't the best at pass pro.

I just remember watching a couple games with him and being surprised by his production.  I wasn't a fan of his coming out of THE Ohio State University, but after seeing him play, I remember thinking he was pretty fast for his size, ran hard, didn't go down easy and almost always went forward after contact.  He'd still be pretty young (25) once the season starts.  Not a lot of miles on those tires.  He had a pretty modest contract with Arizona too...something like a 5YR/9MIL/2BONUS.  Gotta think they can get him on the cheap for 2 or 3 years.  Obviously, they'd have to be sure the knee was ready to go.  FWIW, dude's a year younger than Mendenhall.

With a healthy O-line and a bona fide franchise QB in the backfield with him, I think he'd put up big numbers.

Beanie Wells 2011 highlights

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #18 on: Mar 12, 2013 at 15:40 »

The Foote signing smells of desperation.  Apparently, Spence has nerve damage, and apparently they're letting Stevenson Sylvester play STs somewhere else.  Could still draft a guy and keep Foote as starter/backup/whatever.

Plax, I agree: meh.  Maybe with time in camp he can rebuild rappor with Ben.  Didn't get used much last year.  Another position we're shitty thin at.  Sanders was tendered, and I suspect he stays, wouldn't be worth most teams' R3.  Brown, locked in.  Still have Cotchery.  Bunch of guys like Gilreath and Moye, not that you can count on that.  I want to see them take a playmaker early in the draft. 

And I think the RB class will go plenty deep, we can definitely find someone this year.  Don't be surprised if Dwyer especially thrives in the new blocking scheme, too.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #19 on: Mar 12, 2013 at 21:15 »

SINGE MmANDI ASSOMOHA!!!!!!!!!!111111!

sysadmin7

« Reply #20 on: Mar 12, 2013 at 21:31 »

Man, I just posted the resigning of Foster, Foote and Plax. Didn't think to check here...Feel free to delete it, I'll just post my rant below:

No need to worry now, we just re-signed the worst OG on the roster, the worst ILB in the NFL last season, an aging WR who caught 4 out of 9 passes, and brought back the worst rated cover DB in the NFL last season named Gay.

On a good note, Bruce Gradkowski is coming tomorrow for a visit. I'd prefer Matt Moore as a backup, but I think Gradkowski is a much better option than Batch or Leftwich. If he signs tomorrow, it will be the best signing so far (as weird as that sounds).

Miami just paid WHAT for M. Wallace? What in the #^^@ are they smoking, because they need to pass that $H!T around!!

I really liked Connor when he was a prospect. Hell, I still do. He's a bit injury prone, but I'd start him over Foote any day of the week and should be a cheaper option. Connor is a tough kid, and if he could stay healthy and start for a full season he would be a great addition to the roster. My .02 cents, anyways.

LINUX = FREEDOM
sysadmin7

« Reply #21 on: Mar 12, 2013 at 21:58 »

FB/TE - David Johnson just signed a 1 year deal

Also looks like Mendenhall will be landing in Denver (per Pro Football Talk)
« Last Edit: Mar 12, 2013 at 22:02 by sysadmin7 » Logged

LINUX = FREEDOM
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #22 on: Mar 13, 2013 at 08:55 »

I don't think Foster's that bad.  No worse than Colon, at least.

The Plax and Foote signings are because we are fucking thin at both spots.  Foote got a 3-year because we have no one who can start there besides Timmons.  Spence is likely going to be an injury settlement, career over.  Sylvester never stepped up.  Maybe there's someone who will step up from the JAGs, but I don't see it.  (I always thought Chris Carter would be solid inside, but.)  So we absolutely need someone who knows the D to start, and now I think we're pretty well going to look at another ILB via FA or the draft.  Sort of the same sitch with WR and Plax.  I don't think he's washed up, but he didn't get many opportunities last year.  We will absolutely go WR in the draft, likely the first 3-4 rounds.

Once Colon is cut, maybe we can deal with K. Lewis.  If not, we'll wait for the FA bargain bin.

kluisi61
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #23 on: Mar 13, 2013 at 08:58 »

I told my wife about this contract and the numbers and she was amazed.......that he didn't drop the pen before he signed the contract.

OK Chris. Now that we have practiced kissing and cuddling, we'll practice eating out...at a fancy restaurant.

- Lois Griffin

-----------------

Goal Line Blitz - Football player and team simulator...Very Fun.

Fallen Sword - MMORPG that is very fun. No ads and it's free.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #24 on: Mar 13, 2013 at 10:52 »

A 3-year deal to Foote smells of desperation.  If a bunch of other teams are clamoring for his services, fuck it, go find another vet to sign for a year on try-and-see basis.  Plax for a year is also desperate but not completely irrational.

No, that category is reserved for giving Bruce fucking GradKOWSKI a 3-year deal.  YES, I know our backups are old and brittle.  YES, I know this year's draft class sucks.  But FFS, I'd rather have Jerrod fucking JOHNSON back for a year than this guy.  And please don't tell me he fits Haley's scheme better than other options:  he's just suck.  A hot, sick, sticky pile of SUUCK.  I am really losing faith in our FO moves more and more, perpetually shifting cap money to keep vets beyond their expiration, shit-or-miss drafts since TomBert have been in the saddle, etc.  I haven't felt this bad about a Steeler team at this point in the year since...  the Kordell era?  We're not patching holes, we're not minimizing contingencies, we're slathering ourselves in SUUUUUUCCCCK.

pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #25 on: Mar 13, 2013 at 11:48 »

Look at the bright side, Finny.  We can't lose to Gradkowski if he's on our team.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #26 on: Mar 13, 2013 at 13:35 »

I swear I didn't read this before posting my opinion on Wells yesterday.

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #27 on: Mar 13, 2013 at 16:25 »

The more I read about Pittsburgh's interest in Wells and the public's dissatisfaction with it, the more I like the move.

3YR/5MIL/1BONUS

Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #28 on: Mar 14, 2013 at 11:30 »

Look at the bright side, Finny.  We can't lose to Gradkowski if he's on our team.

Maybe this wouldn't make any sense with the change to Haley's offense, but surely Dixon is sitting around looking for a paycheck.  He is young enough he can whip into shape.  I think he was a better option that Lefty or Batch the last coupla years. 

I can't believe the Steelers cut him loose when they did, and he would be a good option now athletically and financially.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #29 on: Mar 14, 2013 at 11:33 »

but surely Dixon is sitting around looking for a paycheck.

I think he went to play for his former college coach in Philly.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #30 on: Mar 14, 2013 at 14:38 »

Scratch Keenan Lewis.  Report that he's signing w/ the Saints.  Fucker.

Well, there's another draft/FA need.  Not that Lewis was a turnover machine, but he was developing into a reliable cover corner.  Maybe Cortez can man the outside permanently.

SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #31 on: Mar 14, 2013 at 17:12 »

Would have been okay ushering Ike out and signing Lewis

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
sysadmin7

« Reply #32 on: Mar 14, 2013 at 17:58 »

A 3-year deal to Foote smells of desperation. Plax for a year is also desperate but not completely irrational.

No, that category is reserved for giving Bruce fucking GradKOWSKI a 3-year deal.  YES, I know our backups are old and brittle.  YES, I know this year's draft class sucks.  But FFS, I'd rather have Jerrod fucking JOHNSON back for a year than this guy.  And please don't tell me he fits Haley's scheme better than other options:  he's just suck.  A hot, sick, sticky pile of SUUCK.  I am really losing faith in our FO moves more and more, perpetually shifting cap money to keep vets beyond their expiration, shit-or-miss drafts since TomBert have been in the saddle, etc.  I haven't felt this bad about a Steeler team at this point in the year since...  the Kordell era?  We're not patching holes, we're not minimizing contingencies, we're slathering ourselves in SUUUUUUCCCCK.

I see more value in signing other free agent ILB's like:
1. Dan Connor
2. Scott Fujita
3. Chase Blackburn
4. Erin Henderson (would have been nice)
5. Justin Durant (a higher price, but long term solution)
6. some 5th/6th round draft selection
7. anyone not named Larry Foote

I'm surprised your so low on Gradkowski. I really liked him coming out of Toledo, and with 7 years of NFL experience he's the perfect backup to Ben right now. When Ben goes down, I have more faith in Gradkowski than Leftwich or Batch (or any other FA on the market), and you know Ben is going to get banged up again with our pathetic O-line. Especially if Adams or Gilbert start at LT and RT. Maybe one NFL draft we will draft a OT that doesn't have stone feet. Gradkowski is a local guy, and a younger version of Batch. He'll be with the Steelers till he retires. And Jerrod Johnson is flat out horrible...this team does not need another Dennis Dixon light backing up Ben.

I completely agree on Colbert. We don't have 1 person on the roster from our 2008 draft class. For a franchise that builds through the draft, the Steelers have done a horrible job of it. We are slathering ourselves in suck and its going to take a long time even if we completely "hit" on the next 4 draft classes. It's going to be rebuilding time in Pittsburgh sooner than what we all think. Hopefully I'm wrong on that one.

LINUX = FREEDOM
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #33 on: Mar 14, 2013 at 19:55 »

We sign turds as insurance.    Instead of signing turds, we could have retained keepers. 

:facepalm:

Bubby
N00b

« Reply #34 on: Mar 14, 2013 at 22:01 »

I was okay with most everything til they just let Lewis walk without trying. Anyone know what he got money-wise? I'd be interested to know what they weren't willing to pay him.

Foote's not great, but I think they pick up an ILB that's still out there or draft one high as an option. Word is Spence is highly questionable. 

I've read that one of Beanie Wells' knees is a potentially permanent problem, so there's no contract cheap enough. Draft a RB high, too.

Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #35 on: Mar 15, 2013 at 08:29 »

Saints sign Lewis -- 5:31 p.m. ET

Former Pittsburgh Steelers cornerback Keenan Lewis signed a 5-year, $26 million deal with his hometown New Orleans Saints on Thursday. The deal, first reported by Sean Jensen, includes $10.5 million guaranteed. Lewis joins a New Orleans Saints defense that surrendered the most yards in NFL history a season ago.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #36 on: Mar 15, 2013 at 11:12 »

I've read that one of Beanie Wells' knees is a potentially permanent problem, so there's no contract cheap enough. Draft a RB high, too.

That's the first I'm hearing that.  Career ending knee issue for a guy in his mid twenties?  Nowadays, I'd be surprised if that were true. 

*shrugs*

They brought him in yesterday to bend over and cough.  See what comes of it.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #37 on: Mar 15, 2013 at 11:41 »

Sign the cripple!  We have #22 reserved for him, spiffy gray sweats, and a clipboard all ready to go.

While we're at it, maybe we can lure Kent Graham out of retirement.  HE MOVES THE CHAINS!

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #38 on: Mar 15, 2013 at 11:44 »

Sign the cripple!  We have #22 reserved for him, spiffy gray sweats, and a clipboard all ready to go.

While we're at it, maybe we can lure Kent Graham out of retirement.  HE MOVES THE CHAINS!

Unlike Spindenhall, Ducey understood the value of ball security.

« Last Edit: Mar 15, 2013 at 11:48 by aj_law » Logged

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #39 on: Mar 15, 2013 at 12:27 »

Unlike Spindenhall, Ducey understood the value of ball security.

Well done...

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #40 on: Mar 15, 2013 at 12:29 »

Hmmm, not sure what to think about this one.  Sanders visiting with the Patriots.  Losing 2/3 of the Young Money Crew would hurt, and there's a lot to Sanders's game I like.  The drops and injury time, not so much.  Might rather have an extra R3 and start over.

Pages: 1 2 ... 5 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: