Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 18, 2014 at 04:46 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 13 [14]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MGS Weight Loss 2011  (Read 15028 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #130 on: Mar 15, 2012 at 10:39 »

BTW, I absolutely despise Dean Ornish.  He's running victory laps with this new study showing a correlation between eating red meat and increased mortality.  Here's his HuffPo post.

There is an emerging consensus among most nutrition experts about what constitutes a healthy way of eating:

little or no red meat;

high in "good carbs" (including vegetables, fruits, whole grains, legumes, and soy products in their natural forms);

low in "bad carbs" (simple and refined carbohydrates, such as sugar, high-fructose corn syrup, and white flour);

high in "good fats" (-3 fatty acids found in fish oil, flax oil, and plankton-based oils);

low in "bad fats" (trans fats, saturated fats, and hydrogenated fats);

more quality, less quantity (smaller portions of good foods are more satisfying than larger portions of junk foods, especially if you pay attention to what you are eating).

Well, he's about half right.

One of my favorite bloggers, Denise Minger, takes down the study rather deftly in this post.  She has a whole series of posts on the vaunted China Study at her own blog site.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #131 on: Mar 15, 2012 at 11:38 »

Intermittent arch pain in the right foot has limited my running, but I've tried to take advantage of the great weather.  Having later sunsets now with the clockes moved forward means I can run after work.  Last 2 nights did a hiking trail, which despite difficult terrain actually helped stretch the arch.  Anyway, 2 weeks for me to get ready for a 10-mile run, and I'd like to get a run of ~10 miles in this weekend to prep.  We'll see.

Every time we see friends, the comment to Mrs. F. and I is "you guys look GREAT," which is awesome to hear.  Maybe I'm being too self-critical when I still see weight that needs lost.  Haven't seen the numbers budge, but definitely seeing things shift.  All my fricking pants are way too loose, so I will need to revamp the wardrobe soon.  Neighbor said she was looking out her window the other day and wondered who the tall, skinny guy on our lawn was...  Haven't heard "skinny" applied to me for a long damned time.  But in all seriousness, I do need to drop another 20-25#.

Ugh, tried to do pushups and pullups yesterday.  Didn't get to 10 pushups before my back rebelled.  WTF?  My back wasn't even hurting, and I've been strengthening the core.  Will try again.  Goal is 50.  Tried to do a pullup for the first time in a million years... FAIL.  Not a one.  Who knew lifting 225# was so fucking difficult?  Going to try basic stuff like that, squats, planks, etc., plus some work with kettlebells in addition to the runs.

I'm waiting for Finny to post his combine numbers.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #132 on: Mar 15, 2012 at 14:34 »

Intermittent arch pain in the right foot has limited my running, but I've tried to take advantage of the great weather.  Having later sunsets now with the clockes moved forward means I can run after work.  Last 2 nights did a hiking trail, which despite difficult terrain actually helped stretch the arch.  Anyway, 2 weeks for me to get ready for a 10-mile run, and I'd like to get a run of ~10 miles in this weekend to prep.  We'll see.

Every time we see friends, the comment to Mrs. F. and I is "you guys look GREAT," which is awesome to hear.  Maybe I'm being too self-critical when I still see weight that needs lost.  Haven't seen the numbers budge, but definitely seeing things shift.  All my fricking pants are way too loose, so I will need to revamp the wardrobe soon.  Neighbor said she was looking out her window the other day and wondered who the tall, skinny guy on our lawn was...  Haven't heard "skinny" applied to me for a long damned time.  But in all seriousness, I do need to drop another 20-25#.

Ugh, tried to do pushups and pullups yesterday.  Didn't get to 10 pushups before my back rebelled.  WTF?  My back wasn't even hurting, and I've been strengthening the core.  Will try again.  Goal is 50.  Tried to do a pullup for the first time in a million years... FAIL.  Not a one.  Who knew lifting 225# was so fucking difficult?  Going to try basic stuff like that, squats, planks, etc., plus some work with kettlebells in addition to the runs.

I saw some dude running Finny style, mostly, last weekend.  It was gravely type service road which would be impossible with nekked feet, so this dude was wearing plain ole flip flops.  Can't even imagine.  There's gotta be rocks getting in there.  No thanks.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #133 on: Mar 15, 2012 at 15:55 »

I think I'm down to a 4.4 40 (feet).  I can also press 225 (ounces) over 30 times.  Vertical jump of 36 (mm). 

Running in flip-flops on gravel sounds painful.  Running with Vibrams or minimal footwear on gravel would suck.  It's not bad on paved surfaces, and running through trails it actually feels pretty good, just have to watch for obvious obstacles.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #134 on: Mar 28, 2012 at 13:14 »

Mrs. F. and I ran our first 5K this past Saturday.  Mrs. has been doing shorter distances, and had never run 3 miles without stopping, so this was a new experience for her, but to her credit she completed the course without stopping and didn't appear to be struggling with it as she finished.

That said, we faced less than optimal conditions.  For me, a recurrent arch pain in my right foot flared up again the week before the race and as of Friday I was icing it.  I had even cut back on jogging and was basically just doing trail runs with Mrs. F. and the dog, with a nice sprint up a hill to get the lungs going, and then an easy pace over the rest, maybe half a mile total but a pretty decent quickie workout.  Saturday morning, the foot was just OK, a little residual pain, but not enough to sit out the race.

Woke up and for the first time in weeks, rain.  Rainy, colder, just an ugly day.  Still, we decided to push through that.  The course, when I looked at the website map, looked pretty flat but that was very deceiving.  There were plenty of inclines throughout, and (it was a church 5K) there were two final hills that went through a graveyard that were just killer.  I was glad I'd done hill sprints the week before, but frankly over the last mile or more my foot was just killing me.  And I couldn't curse going up the last hills because the parish priest was running right beside me.  (He's 10 years younger and a former runner, OK?)  So I crossed at right around 30 minutes, and as soon as I was done I was hobbling.

Limped that night, couldn't even put weight on it the next day.  But followed RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation) over Sunday and Monday, gradually the pain has subsided and the swelling is gone.  Don't think there's any bone damage, but do I think I have some severely strained tendons.  It sucks, because I want to keep running, and was registered for a 10-miler this Sunday, 4/1.  But it looks like the smarter long-term option will be to get the foot back to 100% and shoot for a later half-marathon.

Also want to do exercises to work on speed (sprints, skips, strides), and get back to doing longer distances (10+) once or twice a month just as a matter of course.  We'll probably do another 5K in May for the local Humane Society, Mrs. F. is into it, and I guess I am too.  My focus was just to get out and do it, but once I was running the rain didn't bother me, I got into a nice groove.  Started from waaaay back in the pack with all the plodders and spent at least half a mile just working my way through the slop, then up to about the 2 mile point I was passing people slowly but consistently.  Once the foot pain kicked in, I started losing ground.  Point is, I didn't see it as a competitive thing, but in retrospect I kept thinking about how much better I could have done.  Energy was paced well, running strategy was poor (need to get free and clear early), and running on a gimp foot was a bad idea.

Really would like to get to ~25:00, think it's do-able on a level course.

SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #135 on: Mar 17, 2013 at 20:12 »

Have gotten back to the gym lately.  Not sure what my weight is (was 170lbs when checked last...over a year ago).  Got lazy/tired after the kid.  Did manage to wake up at 4a for a trip to the gym for about a month or so but fell out of the habit around Thanksgiving.  Commute to DC is an hour at best in 530a traffic so I'm just too tired to go in the mornings.  Too many excuses not to go in the afternoon after work.  Finally, getting in two hours at the gym on Friday, Sat. and Sundays.  Doing Insanity workouts Mon, Wed and Thurs.  I've been back at it for a few weeks now.  Feel better already though I have a ways to go.

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #136 on: Mar 18, 2013 at 08:59 »

Wow, it's hard to believe we went a year between posts here.  Time flies.

For the last two years I've been walking in the evening for about 40 minutes, 3 days a week.  The morning following those walks, I've been doing push ups, lunges and planks, have recently added pull ups (damn, those are fucking hard).  The morning routine usually takes about 20 min., so it's not that time consuming. Plus, body weight exercises can give one a nice workout and they're free.

As for the numbers, I've gone from a high of 292 to my current weight of 220.  That's mostly due to a change in diet, though.  I was eating a "heart-healthy" diet that was low fat.  Fuck that, it packed on the pounds.  I switched back to extremely low carb and watched the pounds slowly fall off.  So now that's my life diet, low carb.  I eat tons of fresh, raw veggies and plenty of beef, chicken, fish and eggs.  You know, the usual Atkins routine.  No sugar.  Not saying it's for everyone, but it works for me.  Basically, my goal is to not open a box for food, unless that box contains a delicious ribeye steak.

It seems like I'll stick at a round # weight for a few months and then the next 10 lbs will come off.   Even though 220 is supposedly 50 lbs overweight for a 5'10" guy, I feel great.  My waist is down to 36" and I believe this is absolutely maintainable.  Moderate exercise really seems to be that little extra that ties it all together.

Imagine that, health achieved via a reasonable diet and moderate exercise.  Who woulda thunk it?

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Pages: 1 ... 13 [14]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: