Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 29, 2014 at 00:05 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Harrison released...  (Read 1445 times)
Pain

« on: Mar 09, 2013 at 11:27 »

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-Release-Linebacker-James-Harrison/326064d2-33bf-4578-b9a6-5b710f351233

He giving away stuff on twitter too. Follow and tweet him and maybe win some swag!

On a personal note, I find it bittersweet. Loved the guy while he's been here, though he was getting long in the tooth, compiling injuries and fines at an increased rate each season wasn't helping his cause either.
« Last Edit: Mar 09, 2013 at 11:38 by Pain » Logged
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Mar 09, 2013 at 11:42 »

I'll miss the dude.  One of my favorites.  It's the sad reality of age, injuries, and salary cap hit.

Hope Worilds is ready...

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Mar 09, 2013 at 15:04 »

Apart from anything else, and there was alot else, he gave us the greatest play in SB history.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Pain

« Reply #3 on: Mar 09, 2013 at 15:32 »

Apart from anything else, and there was alot else, he gave us the greatest play in SB history.

True Dat. I just pray he doesn't end up in Cleveland or Baltimore...Arizona?
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #4 on: Mar 09, 2013 at 17:47 »

He will be missed, but I'm not surprised.  Good luck, Silverback.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Mar 10, 2013 at 07:58 »

Sage has a FB pic of himself with James.  And James is SMILING.

Photoshop!!!

sysadmin7

« Reply #6 on: Mar 10, 2013 at 16:11 »

Harrison's cap hit would have been $6.57m this season, and according to a few sports sites the Steelers wanted JH to take a 30% cut for this season ($4.59m) but could make up the difference in performance based bonuses. I'm surprised Silverback didn't take that option as I don't see him making more in the open market. I thought James started to come on halfway through the season. You could tell through the first few games that he couldn't get as low rounding the edge as he use too, but he's still a tough blue-collar LB and someone will snag him up.

If I were in Omar Khan's shoes, I would try to get Colon ($5.5m) to restructure (as he really started to play well at the LG position, even though he's made of glass...along with Pouncey), if not I would cut him leaving James on the roster, then move him to ILB taking over for Larry Foote. I would also talk to Woodley (and his $9m base salary) and try to get him to restructure as well. Troy would be next with his $7.5m salary this season. James has been a staple among the D. You don't see him running his mouth on TV and he's a leader on the field and in the locker room. That's how the Steelers reward some of the guys who stick around, restructure and put everything on the field. I understand it's a business, I get that...but sometimes you have to show a few guys "thanks for sticking with the club" instead of "yep, you're making too much money now, and all those times you've taken care of us on and off the field, sorry..good luck somewhere else".

I have a feeling Silverback will sign with Cleveland (for probably next to nothing) just to finish his career back home, and if either Adams/Gilbert or Starks are playing LT they'll get completely abused 2 games out of the year from him. And you bet your a$$ he'll put 150% into playing the Steelers now.

LINUX = FREEDOM
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Mar 11, 2013 at 11:18 »

If I had to pick, I would've kept Harrison and axed Colon.

I think Harrison's issue has been his health more than whether he's "lost a step."  If he's healthy...and I mean completely healthy, he can still be pretty effective.  Of all the guys Pittsburgh will lose this offseason, I'm predicting that he'll have the biggest impact elsewhere.  Again, assuming he's 100%...not that kind, the other.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Mar 11, 2013 at 14:25 »

Colon costs a lot of cap, but cutting him doesn't save a lot because he has $1.2M guaranteed per year 2013, 14, and 15.  We save less than $2M if we cut him now, more IIRC if we cut post-June 1 and can prorate it out.  I think the Harrison cut saves over $5M.

Sucks.

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #9 on: Mar 15, 2013 at 12:06 »

Harrison to Ratbirds!?  Nooooooooo!

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation