Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Dec 19, 2014 at 14:21 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steelers go for the steal....  (Read 1595 times)
Pain

« on: Mar 18, 2013 at 09:51 »

Schefter reporting on Facebook that we tried to steal Jake Long before he signed the 4 year deal with the Rams....wish we could have pulled that off.

Additionally, he says we are eye-ballling A. Bradshaw. I'm o.k. with this...thoughts?
« Last Edit: Mar 18, 2013 at 09:55 by Pain » Logged
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #1 on: Mar 18, 2013 at 10:08 »

Dumervil. But with what $$$

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
Pain

« Reply #2 on: Mar 18, 2013 at 10:19 »

Dumervil. But with what $$$

That would be fantastic...
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #3 on: Mar 18, 2013 at 10:41 »

You gotta wonder about Long though, I mean, why would a team let a supposedly franchise LT go to FA?  Either there's something wrong with Long or the Dolphins.  At 4 yr, $36 mil, I'd have taken a shot at that, just seems like a cheap price.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Mar 18, 2013 at 12:12 »

I was a fan of Long coming out of college (obv).  He's had a decent start to his pro career, but he still has some work to do to live up to the #1 overall pick, IMO.  It just doesn't seem like the dude can stay healthy lately.  I'm guessing that if he can consistently stay on the field, he's a solid option, but for 9 milly per?  Dunno.  Big risk, reward.

Bradshaw is a decent option, but I don't think he'll come cheap.  He's not really an every down back even though he thinks that he can handle that role.  He'll probably command a salary a little south of what S. Jackson got from the Falcons.

Dumervil would be nice, but you're talkin' money that's in Siverbacks range.  Gotta think he'll cost somewhere from 7-8 million per.  Woodley needs somebody on the other side that attracts attention or he's going to be seeing a lot of doubles.

I suppose the silver lining to these rumors is that they see these positions as needs and are trying to do something to fix them...?  It's all I've got.  They're hard to come by.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Mar 19, 2013 at 09:37 »

Trying to figure out what exactly I think. Options are:

1. We don't have a clue (The Finny Party Platform). Possible to likely.

2. We had to clear cap space to prepare for 2014, even though 2013 is gonna suck.

3. We had to clear cap space because we have a plan to go after some FAs for a change (Long, Bradshaw, etc).

Can't decide which of these it is.

Dumervil would be terrific, but would we want to get into another big contract with an OLB? He's significantly younger than Harrison. I had hoped that Harrison might be willing to come back for less money, but I just don't see him swallowing his pride to do that. The paycut was significant but it was still pretty serious coin for a guy his age with his current injury status.

Just wondering:  Has Michael Turner signed with anyone? Not sure he fits if the plan is to go to a zone-style scheme. Then again, not sure Dwyer or Redman fit that model either.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Mar 19, 2013 at 11:22 »

Long just signed (Rams).

I don't want to say we don't have a clue, but I think a serious of bad precedents has pushed us into the corner.  Extending vets with the idea beforehand that we will need to restructure their deals or cut them and carry dead money to keep under the cap every year.  Some very bad draft classes (2008, 2009) thinning the talent.  Bad luck (Sean Spence, Chris Rainey).  A philosophy of refusing to negotiate in-season.  It all adds up to us making some choices that are clearly based on spending little to no coin. 

I'm fine with not splashing a bunch of money around for FAs after all the crazy shit dies down.  I'm not really thrilled with signings like Spaeth and Gradkowski, obv.  Our fiscal policy seems predicated on an ever-growing cap, so when the cap growth stalls, we're pinched.  Right now we look to be about $3M under the cap...  and that doesn't even account for the rookie pool, which was just over $5M last year but should be substantially higher due to our draft position.  That means forget about signing Bradshaw, that ain't happening.  Dumervil?  Probably "interest" his agent cooked up.  A lot of off-season smoke.  We'll need to do more cutting or restructuring to get there, and we have many more holes on the roster than we usually do at this time of year.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Mar 20, 2013 at 09:59 »

In the wake of releasing linebacker James Harrison, the Pittsburgh Steelers have a hole on defense to fill. Dumervil would be a quality player to be a fitting replacement. He has 38.5 sacks over the past three years and has not shown a decline in skills while approaching 30. The Steelers do not have much financial flexibility. That was one of the causes for Harrison's release. However, Dumervil will not command big money and the team could sign him for relatively cheap.

Wherever Dumervil signs, it is unlikely it will be for the $8 million salary he originally agreed to with the Broncos. The market is not strong for defensive ends and teams are looking less likely to shell out big money for players all getting up there in age.

Wait, wut?

OK, I get that he might not get the original deal Denver offered, but how does his value plummet from a 7-8 million dollar per year guy to a "relatively cheap" option?  5-6 million instead of 7-8 isn't exactly a bargain bin price.

Can he really be SINGED for less?

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Mar 20, 2013 at 10:43 »

Dumervil had the torn pec in 2010, but he's not yet 30 and should have plenty of productivity left.  He won't get the deal he had before with the Broncos, but I expect them to hash out some kind of deal.

Can't blame a brother for having an agent what don't know how to work a fax machine.  Elvis... ELVIS?!  You know if the papers goes in here print side up or print side down?  Do I have to dial a 9 first?  Elvis, get the hell out the toilet and help an agent!

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
jasonic
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #9 on: Mar 20, 2013 at 12:07 »

You'd think teams and agents would be using encrypted emails by now like the rest of the country.

"If you make every game a life and death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot."
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: