Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Aug 20, 2014 at 17:34 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MGS Get Heathy Challenge - 2013!  (Read 4396 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Mar 19, 2013 at 11:26 »

In the 2011 weight loss thread, jonzr wrote:

Wow, it's hard to believe we went a year between posts here.  Time flies.

For the last two years I've been walking in the evening for about 40 minutes, 3 days a week.  The morning following those walks, I've been doing push ups, lunges and planks, have recently added pull ups (damn, those are fucking hard).  The morning routine usually takes about 20 min., so it's not that time consuming. Plus, body weight exercises can give one a nice workout and they're free.

As for the numbers, I've gone from a high of 292 to my current weight of 220.  That's mostly due to a change in diet, though.  I was eating a "heart-healthy" diet that was low fat.  Fuck that, it packed on the pounds.  I switched back to extremely low carb and watched the pounds slowly fall off.  So now that's my life diet, low carb.  I eat tons of fresh, raw veggies and plenty of beef, chicken, fish and eggs.  You know, the usual Atkins routine.  No sugar.  Not saying it's for everyone, but it works for me.  Basically, my goal is to not open a box for food, unless that box contains a delicious ribeye steak.

It seems like I'll stick at a round # weight for a few months and then the next 10 lbs will come off.   Even though 220 is supposedly 50 lbs overweight for a 5'10" guy, I feel great.  My waist is down to 36" and I believe this is absolutely maintainable.  Moderate exercise really seems to be that little extra that ties it all together.

Imagine that, health achieved via a reasonable diet and moderate exercise.  Who woulda thunk it?

Time for a new thread!
« Last Edit: Mar 19, 2013 at 11:29 by Finnegans Wake » Logged

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Mar 19, 2013 at 11:30 »

Now that jonzr's a stand-up he keeps the weight off with the old Richard Pryor/Robin Williams "diet".

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Mar 19, 2013 at 11:38 »

Topic was definitely overdue for a bump.  Especially since so many of you are now getting old and decrepit!

I've retitled this the Get Healthy Challenge, rather than just focusing on weight loss.  Optimal health should include being able to sustain a weight at which you feel good (and feel good about yourself), but that's not the ultimate goal.  One must consider functional ability - are you winded after you climb 3 flights of stairs?  Are you tired after minimal exertion playing with kids or dog?  Do you have difficulty with motion and flexibility?  I think you also have to consider whether your entire way of living, and not just diet, is more likely to help you avoid diseases (diabetes, cardiovascular disease, cancer, etc.), whether it contributes to a sense of overall well-being and happiness, and so on.  In short, good health is holistic in the sense that it is physical, mental, emotional, spiritual.

Do you feel that you are improving?  Declining?  Or just treading water?

So what are your health goals and benchmarks?  What have you tried in terms of diet, exercise, and lifestyle that has and hasn't worked?

Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Mar 19, 2013 at 12:10 »

Great work Jonzr.  That is fantastic!!!  Glad to hear about the success.

I could not get motivated to "work out" last fall and wasn't controlling the in-flow to the pie hole.

For some reason, I can't get motivated to consistently work out this spring either, and the weight is creeping up to an absolutely uncomfortable level.

Spring/summer 2011 I was 225.  Great weight for biking and stuff. Before and after that I hover 230-235.  Right now I'm at 240.  Uggghhhhh.  

At 240, I notice a big big difference on the bike compared to 230.  Fortunately my leg strength continues to improve, but the cardio suffers.  Right now I'd feel a lot better about myself if I could get to 230.

For some reason, I am hungry a lot.  I do well during the day at work, but evening and weekends lack self discipline, food and exercise.  I get plenty of protein and fiber, whichare more satisfying than carbs, yada, yada, yada.

I just have to keep the intake to a manageable level and exercise a lot more than one day per week.  I know what works for me, it's just execution.

EDIT - I copied Finny

Age:  46.  Height: 6'5"  Starting Weight:  240#  Current Weight:  240#  Previous Low (2011): 225#  Goal Weight: ~225#

Trending:  Slowly sinking

Fitness goals:  Lose 3-4 inches from waist.  Reduce longer mtn bike rides by 30 min.  Lose 10 lbs by May 30.  Lose 15 by June 30.

Diet:  Balanced diet.  Limit sugar and certain carbs (chips, bread, cookies etc)

Obstacles:  Feeding the pie hole and lack of exercise.

Sleep:  Good   Energy: Could be better.   Outlook:  Generally good  Overall health:  Generally good, no illness or meds

« Last Edit: Mar 20, 2013 at 08:05 by Big Virgil » Logged

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Mar 19, 2013 at 12:26 »

Age:  48.  Height: 6'2"  Starting Weight:  250#  Current Weight:  228#  Previous Low (2012): 221#  Goal Weight: ~210#

Trending:  Treading water

Fitness goals:  5K <30:00; complete 13.1; get off all BP meds; 100 squats; planks, situps, pullups (TBD).

Diet:  Adapted Primal/Perfect Health Diet; local, sustainable, organic when possible

Obstacles:  Alcohol-to-exercise ratio

Sleep:  Could be better   Energy: Generally good   Outlook:  Generally good  Overall health:  Generally good (no illness in recent past)

SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Apr 30, 2013 at 15:02 »

Have been working out pretty intensely since early March.  Benching 185# 10x and 205# 4x w/o spot.  Pretty stoked about that.  Not doing as well with Cardio.  Too tired/lazy and I never find it as much fun as weights. Have joined a gym that has a lot of new age/odd weight apparatuses.  Hitting a tractor tire with a sledge hammer, using the heavy ropes for arm workouts, and more Crossfit type exercises. 

Was at 178# last week; was 175# when I last weighed myself in 2012.  Would like to get down another pant size.  5'8''.

Goal would be to bench 225# 4x (Honey Badger strong) and get down a pant size or two

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013 at 12:25 »

Just got my annual lipid panel results, and while serum glucose could come down a bit, all the lipids (HDL, LDL, triglycerides, TC) are in the optimal range, according to the Mayo site.  I was a little pissed that my trigs were higher than last time tested, but that was also when I was running much more regularly.  They're still optimal, and when I sort of griped under my breath about the new number the nurse seemed kind of surprised.  Guess that compared to your average person eating the SAD it's still good.

pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013 at 17:26 »

They're still optimal, and when I sort of griped under my breath about the new number the nurse seemed kind of surprised.

Did he then want to joust with you?

A shabby Charlie Brown.
kluisi61
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013 at 19:48 »

I guess I'll put up my story.

First of all, I get physicals every year and always thought of myself in pretty good health even though I knew I was overweight. I've been on cholesterol medicine (10mg pravastatin daily) for many years now as we thought it was a heredity thing.

When I went for my physical at the end of November of last year, I had had a couple of times in a row of high blood pressure readings when doing a health fair at my employer, while giving blood, etc. When I was in the doctor's, it was higher than usual again and I mentioned the other times to the doctor. He reviewed my previous results from in the office and said that I did not have a history of high results and that they usually disregard only one test showing high, but if I was seeing high results outside of the office, then I was seeing a trend even though they weren't.

I did not want to go on another medication, so we talked about ways to lower blood pressure without medication. He mentioned a couple of ways, but said the most effective way to lower blood pressure was to lose weight. I was ready and willing at this point to do what it took, so he said to go on a 1500 calorie diet and the weight would come off. The first week was pure hell and I thought he was trying to kill me. I did stick with it though, and the pounds have dropped. At the doctors office, I was at 234 pounds (I'm around 5-10, 5-11) which I believe was as high as I've ever been even though I didn't really watch it that close. My most recent weight was down to 188. I now weigh myself almost daily to see the pounds fall off. I was a 38 pant size (and some pant styles were very tight and would not button). I just tried on a pair of 32 Levi 569's. They were tight, but they buttoned and were not all that uncomfortable. I will be in them comfortably before I'm done. I also bought a pair of 34 Banana Republic Slacks (these were the kind where I couldn't get the 38's buttoned) that fit me perfectly. Hopefully I'll see a 32 in those too.

My goal weight is to be under 180 at the doctor's office (with shoes and clothes...so probably about 175 just out of bed in the morning and naked). I haven't checked my BP or cholesterol lately, but I hope to talk to the doctor about getting off the pravastatin just to see what happens. Also, I thought I was in good health before I started this, but I just never realized how shitty I felt. I would get winded playing with the kids or taking the stairs (just walking). Now I can run up flights of stairs and not even breath heavy.

Also, I'm probably eating about a third to a half of the food I used to eat (and what I thought was normal portions). Before, I was never hungry and could skip any meal without missing it. I was eating so much, that it just didn't matter if I ate or not. Now, I'm hungry when I'm supposed to be (breakfast, lunch, and dinner), and not hungry in between. Skipping meals is no longer an option. I don't feel that I've really given up too much of the food that I used to eat, but I definitely eat less of it and I do find myself picking the healthier option when given a choice (more salad instead of more pasta).

I haven't been this weight since probably High School, and I feel better than I can remember.

Goals include:
  • Lose about 13 more pounds
  • Incorporate more exercise
    • Cardio to bump HDL
    • Strength to get muscle definition
  • Get off Pravastatin
  • Normal BP readings

This also sounds strange since most people find it so difficult to lose weight, but after the first week, it hasn't really been that hard (though the first week was one of the hardest things I've ever done). I think I'll easily be able to stick to this and maintain a healthy weight. Starting and continuing to exercise will require much more discipline, but I plan to try.

OK Chris. Now that we have practiced kissing and cuddling, we'll practice eating out...at a fancy restaurant.

- Lois Griffin

-----------------

Goal Line Blitz - Football player and team simulator...Very Fun.

Fallen Sword - MMORPG that is very fun. No ads and it's free.

scballersc

Saw Ben on Halloween (pre-Milledgeville)

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2013 at 21:53 »

Goodluck to everyone on obtaining their goals.  Looks like some people have seen great progress.  Keep it up.

The 2011-2012 school year was hard on me as I was commuting to NYC every day from central jersey and then Philadelphia on the weekends.  The second half of 2012 was rough after finally entering the real world and starting a new job with long hours.  After a boozed filled trip to Miami only to see my team get slaughtered in the NCAAF Champ, it was time for a change in the health department.

To hold me accountable, my coworker/friend actually started tracking my weight loss on his white board; it was huge motivation and extremely effective...so I think a board like this can be very very helpful.  I think I started at 229lbs, 6'3, 16% bf.  One-hundred days later I'm down to 204 and 10% due to a solid mix of weight training and cardio.  I realize I'm a young one around these parts, so some may think my advice need not apply; regardless, I strongly encourage everyone to add resistance and weight training to their fitness program.  Far too often, I see people eating too little and spending far too much time doing cardio.  Diversifying my routine has become much more important now that I am behind a desk 10 hours a day.

Keep up the goodwork and best of luck to everyone!
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2013 at 21:04 »

So I am up to 183# this week.  Had 4 days of weight training, with one of those days being an extra intense weight training.  Zero cardio though a few hours of yard work.  Food was typical for me; some good, some bad.  I think the added weight is mostly non-fat weight as my pants fit the same.

Have my intense training day tomorrow.  Will go for 215# bench 4x.  

Edit. 215# 3x no spot
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013 at 08:08 by SCacalaki » Logged

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
scballersc

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013 at 09:47 »

Have my intense training day tomorrow.  Will go for 215# bench 4x.  

Edit. 215# 3x no spot

Nice job.  If you are looking to add strength, I would highly recommend limiting your sets of x10 and x12.  I would do a significant amount of 5x5s or 5x3s.  Work in some weighted dips (the real kind, i.e. not tricep dips) as well.
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2013 at 12:57 »

Any suggestions on arm workouts?  I've figured out a few new things recently but generally is a routing I get stuck in

I typically do sets of 135# 10x, 185# 10x and then 205/215# 3-4x and then 135# 10x.  Also do a second day during the week of dumbbell workouts (50#-65#)

scballersc

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2013 at 13:26 »

Any suggestions on arm workouts?  I've figured out a few new things recently but generally is a routing I get stuck in

To be honest, I stay away from "arm" workouts, simply because I feel like the other lifts I do hit them sufficiently (e.g. bent-over rows, pullups, and deadlifts work biceps, while bench, dips, etc work my triceps).  My workouts are of the push/pull variety with the exception of squat days which I do along with back.  But by no means, is this the only "right" way to lift.  My routine looks something like this, although I pay attention to my body because over-training is terribly counterproductive:

Monday -Push
-Bench (dumbbell or barbell)
-Dips
-Skullcrushers
-Cables/Flies
-Pushups

Tuesday -Pull
-Deadlifts
-Barbell Rows
-Pullups/Lat Pull down
-Bicep Curls (Dumbbell)
-Calves

Thursday -Push
-Bench/Incline Bench (dumbbell or barbell)
-Dumbbell Pullovers
-Military Press/Shoulder Press
-Upright Row
-Cables/Flies

Friday -Pull
-Squat
-Pullup
-Barbell Rows
-Lunges
-Bicep Curls (Barbell)
-Calves

I typically do sets of 135# 10x, 185# 10x and then 205/215# 3-4x and then 135# 10x.  Also do a second day during the week of dumbbell workouts (50#-65#)

Wouldn't be surprised if you're taking a little bit out of yourself with that set of 185lbs x 10.  Although I am not currently trying to add strength (as you seem to be), I get out of the warmup sets and into the working sets ASAP.  For instance, I will hit 135lbs x 12 and jump straight to 225lbs x 12 rep x 3 sets.  Because you are aiming to add strength, I would suggest 195lbs x 8, 200lbs x 6, 205lbs x 4, 215lbs x 2 or more simply 205lbs x 3-5 x 3 sets.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2013 at 17:36 »

I was able to drag a 20# bag of bird seed into the house the other day.  I had to stop after about 10 feet and take a nap on the lawn, and then as I dragged it over the sidewalk a hole opened up and lightened the load considerably, which helped me get the job done in just under two hours.

You fit young whippersnappers piss me the fuck off.  Truth.

SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2013 at 19:47 »

Did heavy rope workout this morning for arms.  Looked easier than it was. 

SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Jul 07, 2013 at 15:59 »

Was able to get #225 x 2 this morning (no spot).  I really feel like I missed out on doing another one or two reps. Just wimped out.

Also added deadlift to the workout...felt good and I'll keep doing it.

Doing Insanity workouts 2-3 times per week and weights twice a week.  I wish I was an enthused about the cardio as I am about the weights (I really enjoy that time) as it is very easy to pass on the cardio.

On my third gym since mid-April.  I think I've found the right one (open 24/7 so I can get in early workouts on Sat and Sun before the wife and kid wake up and very few other people there).  I joined a cross-fit gym in mid-April but it was just too damn expensive for my tastes.  At the gym I am sticking with, I can do a fair amount of the workouts (barbell and box workouts) at about half the price

scballersc

« Reply #17 on: Jul 13, 2013 at 10:19 »

Was able to get #225 x 2 this morning (no spot).  I really feel like I missed out on doing another one or two reps. Just wimped out.

Also added deadlift to the workout...felt good and I'll keep doing it.

Doing Insanity workouts 2-3 times per week and weights twice a week.  I wish I was an enthused about the cardio as I am about the weights (I really enjoy that time) as it is very easy to pass on the cardio.

On my third gym since mid-April.  I think I've found the right one (open 24/7 so I can get in early workouts on Sat and Sun before the wife and kid wake up and very few other people there).  I joined a cross-fit gym in mid-April but it was just too damn expensive for my tastes.  At the gym I am sticking with, I can do a fair amount of the workouts (barbell and box workouts) at about half the price

That is an impressive strength gain. Keep up the good work.

I'm not a cross fit guy, as I think much of what they is troublesome. Loves the core lifts, live the intensity of it, love the high reps, but I would not choose to combine the three on a regular basis; it has to be hard on the body.

My gym is full of the meatiest of meat heads, so often I elect to use the small gym in my apt building, which has exactly the opposite "don't drop the weights to the harm of your joints" sort of thing goIng for it.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #18 on: Jul 14, 2013 at 12:44 »

Checking in again, the slow weight loss continues.  Last week I weighed 212, the only change is that the evening walks were traded for morning rope jumping, so now all exercise is in the morning.  I have to say, it gives me better energy throughout the day and frees up the evenings, so it's all good.  Seems to help keep the appetite down too or maybe that's all in my head.

And keep up the good work everyone!  Reading about the workouts is a good source of inspiration.

Did I mention that I built a chicken coop?  Still no eggs yet.  Beginning to think I need to put some chickens in it.
« Last Edit: Jul 14, 2013 at 12:47 by jonzr » Logged

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #19 on: Jul 14, 2013 at 21:50 »

Really good workouts Sat and Sun.  Have moved to doing arms workouts with body weight exercises v. dumbbells  or weights.  Variations on pull ups, reverse pushups and bench dips/pushups.  Feels like I get a lot more out of my arm workouts with those types of exercises.  Great sessions this morning for chest and back.  195# x 10 and 225# x 3.  (begin and end with 135# x 10).  Deadlift of 135# which was 40# better than last week when I incorporated it in.  Very focused on form.  I take a barbell to a room corner and do one arm and bent over rows..seems to be doing well for my back and lats, which had not developed via other routines.

I am at 180.1#.  Wish I had more motivation to do cardio regularly but generally feel good about my weight and waistline

My gym isn't a meathead gym by any stretch.  I go at 530a on Sat and Sun and it is generally cardio or machines for those there that early.  I have most of the floor to myself, which I prefer.  Packed on weekday afternoons the few times I have gone to makeup for a weekend day (some attractive young ladies in the weight area)

SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #20 on: Dec 24, 2013 at 07:02 »

2014 wrap-up

~6 months since my last check-in.  Weights 3 days a week.  T25 workout 2-3 days a week.

Weighing in at 185#.  Could do a bit better on my waist line but probably never will as I enjoy unhealthy food too much.  Am able to bench 205# x 8-9 times.  225# x 5.  235# x 2-3.  Have moved to include more dumbbell work on chest and it has paid off.  Moved from size medium shirts to size large.  Size XL in the Rebook cross fit shirts. 

Incorporated cross fit in to my workouts.  Bought the heavy training ropes and a 30# slam ball for home.  Do a lot of pull ups, inverted rows and other body weight exercises.  Box jumps and deadlifts

Very noticeable difference in arms, chest and back size.  Pretty happy with my gains and hope to maintain in 2014

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #21 on: Dec 27, 2013 at 14:09 »

2013:  Not good, not bad, just meh.  I'm essentially a lazy-assed bastard, so I don't like working out.  For me, HIIT is ideal because it's over with quickly, but even then I struggle to keep with a program.  Did do some kettlebells, and have a pull-up bar in the den that's convenient to hang clothing on.  Really have to get back to them, and maybe some dumbbells, at least minimally in 2014.  Not really a go to the gym kinda guy.

But my primary workout, the one I enjoy, is jogging.  For whatever reason, I was pretty lax in 2013, and the idea of gearing up to run a 13.1 never materialized.  But even when I'd been away from jogging for a couple of weeks, I found that getting back to it was easier now for whatever reason.  My speed, strength, and lung capacity seem pretty good.  I just need to be more consistent, and get back to running a few times at my lunch hour.  Mrs. F. and I have a couple of routes that involve hills, some of them pretty drastic, and I've found that a great way to shake the dust off.

Weight, down almost 30# from a few years ago, has crept back up predictably, as the wine : jogging ratio has been horribly out of whack.  2014, really have to right that ratio.  Cooking and diet are the constant, and I continue to avoid processed foods/convenience foods/fast foods, and incorporate mostly whole foods (locally sourced, sustainable, pastured meat and organic fruits and veggies) whenever possible.  Found a great resource for wild fish too. 

Pretty healthy, knock wood, save for a chest cold around Thanksgiving.

Going to start a 2014 get healthy thread later, and offer some new opinions on food and nutrition. 

Some general goals, already discussed; some specific ones:  lose 20#; increase running stamina and run a 13.1 before 7/27 (turn FIFTY, FFS); get to 10 pull-ups; drop the BP meds.

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: