Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 23, 2014 at 23:45 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MGS Get Heathy Challenge - 2013!  (Read 4080 times)
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2013 at 21:04 »

So I am up to 183# this week.  Had 4 days of weight training, with one of those days being an extra intense weight training.  Zero cardio though a few hours of yard work.  Food was typical for me; some good, some bad.  I think the added weight is mostly non-fat weight as my pants fit the same.

Have my intense training day tomorrow.  Will go for 215# bench 4x.  

Edit. 215# 3x no spot
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013 at 08:08 by SCacalaki » Logged

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
scballersc

Saw Ben on Halloween (pre-Milledgeville)

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013 at 09:47 »

Have my intense training day tomorrow.  Will go for 215# bench 4x.  

Edit. 215# 3x no spot

Nice job.  If you are looking to add strength, I would highly recommend limiting your sets of x10 and x12.  I would do a significant amount of 5x5s or 5x3s.  Work in some weighted dips (the real kind, i.e. not tricep dips) as well.
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2013 at 12:57 »

Any suggestions on arm workouts?  I've figured out a few new things recently but generally is a routing I get stuck in

I typically do sets of 135# 10x, 185# 10x and then 205/215# 3-4x and then 135# 10x.  Also do a second day during the week of dumbbell workouts (50#-65#)

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
scballersc

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2013 at 13:26 »

Any suggestions on arm workouts?  I've figured out a few new things recently but generally is a routing I get stuck in

To be honest, I stay away from "arm" workouts, simply because I feel like the other lifts I do hit them sufficiently (e.g. bent-over rows, pullups, and deadlifts work biceps, while bench, dips, etc work my triceps).  My workouts are of the push/pull variety with the exception of squat days which I do along with back.  But by no means, is this the only "right" way to lift.  My routine looks something like this, although I pay attention to my body because over-training is terribly counterproductive:

Monday -Push
-Bench (dumbbell or barbell)
-Dips
-Skullcrushers
-Cables/Flies
-Pushups

Tuesday -Pull
-Deadlifts
-Barbell Rows
-Pullups/Lat Pull down
-Bicep Curls (Dumbbell)
-Calves

Thursday -Push
-Bench/Incline Bench (dumbbell or barbell)
-Dumbbell Pullovers
-Military Press/Shoulder Press
-Upright Row
-Cables/Flies

Friday -Pull
-Squat
-Pullup
-Barbell Rows
-Lunges
-Bicep Curls (Barbell)
-Calves

I typically do sets of 135# 10x, 185# 10x and then 205/215# 3-4x and then 135# 10x.  Also do a second day during the week of dumbbell workouts (50#-65#)

Wouldn't be surprised if you're taking a little bit out of yourself with that set of 185lbs x 10.  Although I am not currently trying to add strength (as you seem to be), I get out of the warmup sets and into the working sets ASAP.  For instance, I will hit 135lbs x 12 and jump straight to 225lbs x 12 rep x 3 sets.  Because you are aiming to add strength, I would suggest 195lbs x 8, 200lbs x 6, 205lbs x 4, 215lbs x 2 or more simply 205lbs x 3-5 x 3 sets.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2013 at 17:36 »

I was able to drag a 20# bag of bird seed into the house the other day.  I had to stop after about 10 feet and take a nap on the lawn, and then as I dragged it over the sidewalk a hole opened up and lightened the load considerably, which helped me get the job done in just under two hours.

You fit young whippersnappers piss me the fuck off.  Truth.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2013 at 19:47 »

Did heavy rope workout this morning for arms.  Looked easier than it was. 

SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Jul 07, 2013 at 15:59 »

Was able to get #225 x 2 this morning (no spot).  I really feel like I missed out on doing another one or two reps. Just wimped out.

Also added deadlift to the workout...felt good and I'll keep doing it.

Doing Insanity workouts 2-3 times per week and weights twice a week.  I wish I was an enthused about the cardio as I am about the weights (I really enjoy that time) as it is very easy to pass on the cardio.

On my third gym since mid-April.  I think I've found the right one (open 24/7 so I can get in early workouts on Sat and Sun before the wife and kid wake up and very few other people there).  I joined a cross-fit gym in mid-April but it was just too damn expensive for my tastes.  At the gym I am sticking with, I can do a fair amount of the workouts (barbell and box workouts) at about half the price

scballersc

« Reply #17 on: Jul 13, 2013 at 10:19 »

Was able to get #225 x 2 this morning (no spot).  I really feel like I missed out on doing another one or two reps. Just wimped out.

Also added deadlift to the workout...felt good and I'll keep doing it.

Doing Insanity workouts 2-3 times per week and weights twice a week.  I wish I was an enthused about the cardio as I am about the weights (I really enjoy that time) as it is very easy to pass on the cardio.

On my third gym since mid-April.  I think I've found the right one (open 24/7 so I can get in early workouts on Sat and Sun before the wife and kid wake up and very few other people there).  I joined a cross-fit gym in mid-April but it was just too damn expensive for my tastes.  At the gym I am sticking with, I can do a fair amount of the workouts (barbell and box workouts) at about half the price

That is an impressive strength gain. Keep up the good work.

I'm not a cross fit guy, as I think much of what they is troublesome. Loves the core lifts, live the intensity of it, love the high reps, but I would not choose to combine the three on a regular basis; it has to be hard on the body.

My gym is full of the meatiest of meat heads, so often I elect to use the small gym in my apt building, which has exactly the opposite "don't drop the weights to the harm of your joints" sort of thing goIng for it.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #18 on: Jul 14, 2013 at 12:44 »

Checking in again, the slow weight loss continues.  Last week I weighed 212, the only change is that the evening walks were traded for morning rope jumping, so now all exercise is in the morning.  I have to say, it gives me better energy throughout the day and frees up the evenings, so it's all good.  Seems to help keep the appetite down too or maybe that's all in my head.

And keep up the good work everyone!  Reading about the workouts is a good source of inspiration.

Did I mention that I built a chicken coop?  Still no eggs yet.  Beginning to think I need to put some chickens in it.
« Last Edit: Jul 14, 2013 at 12:47 by jonzr » Logged

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #19 on: Jul 14, 2013 at 21:50 »

Really good workouts Sat and Sun.  Have moved to doing arms workouts with body weight exercises v. dumbbells  or weights.  Variations on pull ups, reverse pushups and bench dips/pushups.  Feels like I get a lot more out of my arm workouts with those types of exercises.  Great sessions this morning for chest and back.  195# x 10 and 225# x 3.  (begin and end with 135# x 10).  Deadlift of 135# which was 40# better than last week when I incorporated it in.  Very focused on form.  I take a barbell to a room corner and do one arm and bent over rows..seems to be doing well for my back and lats, which had not developed via other routines.

I am at 180.1#.  Wish I had more motivation to do cardio regularly but generally feel good about my weight and waistline

My gym isn't a meathead gym by any stretch.  I go at 530a on Sat and Sun and it is generally cardio or machines for those there that early.  I have most of the floor to myself, which I prefer.  Packed on weekday afternoons the few times I have gone to makeup for a weekend day (some attractive young ladies in the weight area)

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: