Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Aug 29, 2014 at 05:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sanders signed with  (Read 1948 times)
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« on: Apr 10, 2013 at 09:45 »

Patriots

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
TucsonSteeler

« Reply #1 on: Apr 10, 2013 at 10:44 »

I think this is a win/win situation for the Steelers.  I have read that the offer to Sanders “will not scare the Steelers off”.  So maybe we can afford to match NE’s offer.  If not most of these players should be available at #91:
Tyrann Mathieu, S, LSU, J.J. Wilcox, S, Georgia Southern, John Bostic, MLB, Florida, Leon McFadden, CB, San Diego State, Will Davis, CB, Utah State, Marcus Lattimore, RB, South Carolina, Shawn Williams, S, Georgia, Joe Kruger, OLB, Utah
Any of which would help out.
kluisi61
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Apr 10, 2013 at 10:45 »

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/sanders-gets-offer-from-patriots-steelers-have-until-sunday-to-match-682852/

Here's the link. Steelers have until Sunday to match.

Could be a worst case scenario for the Steelers here (or best case depending on the way you look at it). I don't know the details of the offer, but it is a one year contract.

Cons:
  • Cap room issue for one year contract
  • Matching only gets us one more year before we have to negotiate again or lose him for nothing (cept a compensatory pick)
  • Already dangerously thin at WR and hard to lose another.

Pros:
  • If we didn't match, we'd get a third round pick from the patriots (3-29 or 91 overall)
  • Pats only get him for one year, then he's an UFA
  • Could maybe get him back after that (talk to Sanders about renting him to NE for a year, but that we want him back after that)

Anyone know if for a RFA, you can match or beat an offer or if it is a straight match? I'd like to match the one year offer with a multi-year contract if possible. Smells like NE putting together a deal that they know that the Steelers will not be able to match due to cap space. Also, I think that pick 3-29 (91) is low value for Sanders. Maybe the Steelers should have tendered him at the first round tier rather than the drafted round tier (not sure how much more that would have cost). I think he's outplayed his value as a 3rd round pick so far.

OK Chris. Now that we have practiced kissing and cuddling, we'll practice eating out...at a fancy restaurant.

- Lois Griffin

-----------------

Goal Line Blitz - Football player and team simulator...Very Fun.

Fallen Sword - MMORPG that is very fun. No ads and it's free.

kluisi61
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Apr 10, 2013 at 10:50 »

I think this is a win/win situation for the Steelers.  I have read that the offer to Sanders “will not scare the Steelers off”.  So maybe we can afford to match NE’s offer.  If not most of these players should be available at #91:
Tyrann Mathieu, S, LSU, J.J. Wilcox, S, Georgia Southern, John Bostic, MLB, Florida, Leon McFadden, CB, San Diego State, Will Davis, CB, Utah State, Marcus Lattimore, RB, South Carolina, Shawn Williams, S, Georgia, Joe Kruger, OLB, Utah
Any of which would help out.

Yes those players would help, but none of them are WRs and that would leave us with these WRs under contract:

• Brown, Antonio
  • Burress, Plaxico
  • Cotchery, Jerricho
  • Gilreath, David
  • Moore, Kashif
  • Moye, Derek
  • Reed, Bert

Any one comfortable with that? All of a sudden WR is a round 1 priority (along with all the other holes on the team). Are the Steelers even going to be competitive this year?

OK Chris. Now that we have practiced kissing and cuddling, we'll practice eating out...at a fancy restaurant.

- Lois Griffin

-----------------

Goal Line Blitz - Football player and team simulator...Very Fun.

Fallen Sword - MMORPG that is very fun. No ads and it's free.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Apr 10, 2013 at 11:15 »

With 1.17 (17), 2.17 (48), 3.17 (79) and the 3.29 (91), we could easily draft replacements for Wallace and Sanders.  I like Sanders'n'all, but we have a nearly identical guy in Brown, but fewer injuries.  Hell, use the R1 and one of the R3 to take the two WVU guys, I'd be happy; throw in Shamarko in R2, a FS in R6 like Earl Wolff; big value cluster in R3 for ILB, maybe Bostic from FL; R4 you can find a RB faller (Taylor, Bell, Gillislee); R5, R6 comp, and R7, find a developmental OL x2 and a developmental QB.

There's a few WR I wouldn't mind in R1/R2; if we could trade down in R1, I'd look at Hunter, Hopkins and Patton.  If that nets us another mid, look for OL there.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Apr 10, 2013 at 14:33 »

Crikey.  One of those mid- to late-rounders should be a developmental CB as well.  Like that Davis kid we brought in from Utah St., kinda raw, some LOC issues, but decent height and some INTs.  There's always some late round stuff.  Hell, I didn't think Cortez was gonna be anything special.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Bubby
N00b

« Reply #6 on: Apr 10, 2013 at 18:31 »

Now that the number is out ($2.5M), I say they'll let him walk. If the Pats just edged the tender, like $1.5, I'd think there was a chance they'd try to sign him. He's going to try to get more than he's worth next year anyway. WRs always tend to over evaluate their own worth in my opinion.

Take the draft pick and draft to the position that was lost. Pick up an unsigned UFA for one year to fill the void:

Steve Breaston
Deion Branch (hair of the dog)
Austin Collie
Josh Cribbs
Brandon Lloyd (hair of the dog)
Brandon Stokley

Brown, experienced free agent, Plax, Cotch, Gilreath and/or draft picks will get us through the year. This was going to be a problem next year anyway. Might as well get the extra draft pick while you can.
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Apr 11, 2013 at 07:29 »

Early Doucet?

In addition to the usual WR suspects, I would look to Zach Ertz if there in the 2nd

I don't think the Steelers should match

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Apr 11, 2013 at 08:13 »

I really like the idea of Cordarrelle Patterson from UT, perhaps as our 1.17.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
TucsonSteeler

« Reply #9 on: Apr 11, 2013 at 10:22 »

For giggles and grins I wonder if there is now a package of draft picks that we could put together and trade with Jacksonville.  What would make sense and who would you pick? Yea I know it will not happen and shouldn’t.  Just trying to fill the void of an otherwise boring Thursday.
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: