Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 22, 2014 at 09:04 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: UDFAs  (Read 4519 times)
TwistedLemon

« on: Apr 28, 2013 at 19:14 »

Pulled from a wide variety of sites what I could find on the UDFAs:

Brian Arnfelt DE 6-4 298 Northwestern
Pro Day Results:  38 reps at 225. If he'd been at the combine, that would've been tied for the best showing on the bench press by anybody.  You throw in decent speed results - 4.81 is not bad for a defensive tackle - good size - 6'4, 305 pounds - an alright senior year - 25 tackles, three sacks - and the fact he was a team captain this past year

Alan Baxter LB 6-0 238 Northern Illinois
The 6’0, 240 pound linebacker/defensive end for the Huskies is probably one of the most underrated players in this class. Baxter should have been invited to numerous All Star Games, but was some reason passed on. Baxter has a great edge burst and is very talented.  I expect him to turn heads at his pro day. The kid is tough, he posted 152 career tackles in addition to 24.5 sacks in the past 2 years at NIU. Baxter reminds some NFL scouts of Elvis Dumervil. He was First team All Mac and was part of the All-Mac Academic team as well. Expect big things from Alan Baxter

Nik Embernate G 6-4 304 San Diego State
2013 San Diego State Pro Day: San Diego State and Hawaii held their pro days together in San Diego on March 19. Workouts were held outdoors on FieldTurf. All 32 NFL teams were present, including defensive back coaches from San Diego and tight end coaches from Cincinnati, Philadelphia and San Diego. Nik Embernate, OL (6-3 3/4, 304) - Embernate ran a 5.18-second 40-yard dash. He also marked a 26-inch vertical jump, an 8-foot-6 broad jump, a 4.86-second short shuttle, a 7.73-second three-cone drill and did 21 reps of 225 pounds. - Gil Brandt, NFL.com

Reggie Dunn WR 5-9 178 Utah
03/28/2013 - 2013 Utah Pro Day: Reginald Dunn, WR (5-9 3/8, 178) - Dunn ran the 40 in 4.25 and 4.26 seconds. He had a 36-inch vertical jump and a 10-foot-1 broad jump. He ran the short shuttle in 4.36 seconds and the three-cone drill in 6.85 seconds. Dunn had 17 lifts on the bench press. Dunn has never been a full-time starter, but his speed might get him a look by an NFL team in training camp. - Gil Brandt, NFL.com
11/30/2012 - 2012 ALL-PAC-12 FIRST TEAM: RS Reggie Dunn, Sr., Utah...has been selected First Team All-Pac-12 for the 2012 college football season. Dunn's 51.3 kickoff return average would easily lead the nation had he enough returns to meet the NCAA minimum of 1.2 returns per game. But Dunn made the most of his 10 chances--setting an NCAA single-season record with four 100-yard kickoff returns for touchdowns. He also finishes his Ute career as the NCAA record-holder for career 100-yard returns (5), single-game 100-yard kickoff returns (2) and kick return average in a game (74.0). He tied the NCAA record for kick return touchdowns in a game from any distance (2). - Utah football

Mike Farrell T 6-6 303 Penn State
Arrived in State College at just 265 pounds but added weight and finally got his chance to start as a senior, exceeding expectations at both left and right tackle in 2012. - Dane Brugler, NFLDraftScout.com

Mike Golic, Jr. T 6-4 300 Notre Dame
Mike Golic Jr., center/guard (6-4 3/8, 300) — The younger Golic ran a 4.56 and 4.58, did a 4.88 in the short shuttle and a 7.77 in the three-cone, posted 31 strength reps, a 28-inch vertical jump and 8-10 broad jump, and had a good workout overall. His father, eight-year NFL veteran Mike Golic, was in attendance and was very excited to see his son perform well.

Cordian Hagans DE 6-4 299 Louisiana-Lafayette
Played 2 seasonos O-Line at LSU then transferred to Louisiana-Lafayette where he moved to DT.  Had 10 TFL and 5 sacks in 2 seasons

Chris Hubbard G 6-4 286 UAB
UAB doesn't have many draftable prospects to show off, but Chris Hubbard gained some attention. The 6'4 286-pound offensive lineman ran a 4.80 and appeared to show off good footwork in positional drills. He's another possible UDFA with something to prove in training camp.

Omar Hunter DT 6-0 318 Florida
2012:
Started all 13 games at nose tackle…Had his best season, tallying a career-high 40 tackles, 4.0 TFL and four pass breakups…Was the second-leading tackler among defensive linemen…Had three solo tackles against both Missouri and Florida State…Notched four tackles against Jacksonville State…Tallied four tackles, 2.5 of which were TFL…Recorded a career-high eight tackles against Kentucky to earn SEC Defensive Lineman of the Week…Made four tackles and had a pass breakup at Tennessee…Had two tackles in the first game of the season against Bowling Green

Luke Ingram LS 6-5 258 Hawaii
Number 1 rated LS

Joe Madsen C 6-3 310 West Virginia
Joey Madsen comes out of West Virginia starting thirty eight consecutive games, with all of them but seven having been at center (7 games started right guard). With one of the smoothest and most consistent shotguns snaps of the centers entering the draft, Madsen is one of the top pure centers on the board for the 2013 NFL draft.  Madsen is a tough football player who has great size and strength, that should be able to land him a spot on an NFL roster
DRAFT PREDICTION AND NFL FITS
Joe Madsen will most likely fall to the late 4th or 5th round draft pick with most teams trying to fill their guard and center voids. Although I do not see Madsen as someone who will start right away, he should be able to make a few appearances on the line during his rookie season. Madsen will most likely go to team who is looking for a solid run blocking center, or a team that likes to use the shotgun formation a lot. Overall Joey Madsen should be able to make a name for himself in the NFL through hard work, perseverance, and a little mentoring from a crafty veteran.\

Curtis McNeal RB 5-7 191 USC
116 carries for 701 yds senior year

Ivory Wade C 6-4 313 Baylor
Wade is an athletic, mobile lineman with the feet to work in space and get to the second level, flashing the aggressive nature to deliver a pop at the point of attack. However, he needs to stay balanced in his sets and not overextend or play out of control. Wade is a veteran blocker with versatile experience and will leave the college ranks with extensive playing time at tackle, guard and center
Wade - who was not at the combine - ran the 40 in 5.17 and 5.11 seconds. He had a 27-inch vertical jump and an 8-foot-3 broad jump. He did the short shuttle in 4.91 seconds and the three-cone drill in 7.65 seconds. He also performed 26 lifts of 225 pounds on the bench press. Wade made 43 starts on the Bears' offensive line. His solid college career could earn him a look as a rookie free agent this summer

Anthony Rashad White DT 6-1 335 Michigan State
Strengths: Experience lining up at zero-, one- and three-technique spots, spending a lot of time over the center or off his shoulder. Wide frame and although he has a sloppy body type, he carries his weight well. Nice job moving and working up and down the line of scrimmage in pursuit. Has the raw power to eat up double-teams. Strong run plugger to collapse run lanes.
Weaknesses: Short-area defender and lacks much range. Needs to develop better leverage and play with better pad level, often getting too upright off the snap. Looks fatigued too often and isn't an every-down defender, taking too many plays off. Has some bad weight on his frame, something that needs to be monitored.
Too easily bites on fakes and needs to improve his recognition skills. Needs to stay under control when finishing; has a few roughing the quarterback penalties on his resume. Doesn't always get much push as a pass rusher and has a limited array of pass rush moves. He tries to bully blockers but often loses energy and wears down. Needs to play at a consistent level to survive in the NFL.

J.D. Woods WR 6-0 203 West Virginia
STRENGTHS - Smart and instinctive, Woods has consistently shown the ability to get open. Although he lacks explosiveness out of his cuts, he consistently runs sharp/precise routes and is fast getting his hands and hands around as he comes out of his cuts. He does an excellent job of using his size and strengh to shield defender and make catch while the defender tries to break up the pass. Big, strong hands and excellent ball skills allow Woods to reach out and easily catch the ball. He catches off-target passes and high throws with remarkable ease. Fearless, Woods does up confidently to catch high passes in traffic, tucks the ball away quickly, takes the hard hit and holds onto the ball. Despite lacking explosive quickness, Woods is able to get started up the field quickly after the catch and is a strong and productive runner with the ball. He consistently runs through arm/grab tackles and hard hits to gain yards after contact. Woods' size, playing strength and effort help him to be a consistently productive blocker.

WEAKNESSES - Woods' lack of explosive burst and top speed after definitely concerns. He lacks quickness off the ball to close cushion on cornerback. Additionally, because he lacks the speed to get separation deep cornerbacks are able to play off him , which will be an even bigger issue against NFL defenses as this will allow defenders to sit back and try to break on the ball. Much more of a smooth and fluid athlete, Woods lack of explosiveness and speed will limit him to being a possession receiver who cannot stretch the field or out run angles to score long TD's. .

SUMMARY - Not a player I expected much from when I began evaluating West Virginia because he had little career production entering 2012 and lacked an impressive measureables, Woods immediately made an impression with his ability to make tough catches and gain yards running after the catch. He is never going to be a game changer due to his lack of elite playing speed, but he has the tools to be a consistently productive possession receiver. As he showed at the West Virginia Pro Day, he is a better athlete than he gets credit for and has many of the tools to be a productive possession receiver in the NFL. Overall, I would not draft Woods early due to his lack of explosiveness and speed, but in the fifth round he would be a good selection because of his potential to become a quality possession receiver and a good coverage man on special teams
« Last Edit: Apr 28, 2013 at 19:16 by TwistedLemon » Logged

"My reality check bounced"
Y2Joyce
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Apr 28, 2013 at 22:58 »

Are those Golic 300-lb lineman times exceptionally fast? Or am I just slow as hell now?
Or both ?!? old

Steelers 58-15 when I am in attendance.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Apr 28, 2013 at 23:00 »

Are those Golic 300-lb lineman times exceptionally fast? Or am I just slow as hell now?
Or both ?!? old

Pitter.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Y2Joyce
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Apr 29, 2013 at 01:26 »

Larry Fitzgerald, Darrelle Revis, and Shady McCoy all just texted me they recall when Pitters would get drafted.
Nice job firing Wannstedt.

#StephensHowlingMAO

Steelers 58-15 when I am in attendance.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Apr 29, 2013 at 10:42 »

Or both ?!? old

Now?

Wonder if the younger Golic can catch...

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Apr 30, 2013 at 09:50 »

11/15 are big uglies.  Some interesting stuff, thanks for posting this.

At that size/speed, I'd consider trying Golic thee Younger at TE, if he can catch. 

One note on Embernate:  his bio/measurables seem ho-hum, but local hack Wexell twitterized several times about how Embernate held Ansah at bay when SDSU played BYU.  That was then, this is now, but worth noting.

Surprised they didn't bring in a COP RB with speed for a tryout.  Of all our backs, only Larod runs sub-4.5, and no one is faster than 4.4.  In sum, a slow group.  If the OL improves, may not matter, but that zip-back would still be nice to have in the fold. 

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Apr 30, 2013 at 12:25 »

Nix Golic as TE, and probably as someone to keep, even on the PS.

Ran a 5.48.  Above report appears dyslexic.  Way too fucking slow for anything.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
scballersc

Saw Ben on Halloween (pre-Milledgeville)

« Reply #7 on: Apr 30, 2013 at 18:07 »

Yes. As I said in the other thread, the guy is not an NFL talent and is also closer to 6'2, 280 lbs.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Apr 30, 2013 at 19:34 »

Yes. As I said in the other thread, the guy is not an NFL talent and is also closer to 6'2, 280 lbs.

That's like half Finny's size.  And prolly only a third as old, too.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
TwistedLemon

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013 at 05:32 »

Couple of these big uglies have a shot at sticking as depth, both offensive and defensive sides.  WR Dunn as a STer, with 10 Kick returns 4 of which he took the distance running a sub 4.3 40.

I like JD Woods too as a sleeper to make the squad.  Kid played behind Tavon and Stedman at WVU

"My reality check bounced"
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: