Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 18, 2014 at 12:58 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pens vs. Bruins - Eastern Conference Finals  (Read 6928 times)
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Jun 06, 2013 at 19:19 »

Man I'm still too bummed to even think about the offseason right now. Had hopes for a good series.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
scballersc

Saw Ben on Halloween (pre-Milledgeville)

« Reply #11 on: Jun 06, 2013 at 20:25 »

It's very obvious that we have to grind (too much) to get the puck out of our zone and as a result, have nothing left to give offensively.  We need to load up on slick skill guys for our blue line; but we need to teach those guys that the safe play is the smart play, I.e. limit the kris letang in that sort of defenseman.
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #12 on: Jun 07, 2013 at 14:16 »

It's very obvious that we have to grind (too much) to get the puck out of our zone and as a result, have nothing left to give offensively.  We need to load up on slick skill guys for our blue line; but we need to teach those guys that the safe play is the smart play, I.e. limit the kris letang in that sort of defenseman.

Yep and there's one of those rottin away in the press box. Depres really could have helped, and could have made the previous 2 series much easier.
whitmer_87
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #13 on: Jun 08, 2013 at 01:16 »

Welp, it's over fellas. Dunno what to think.

Think firing Bylsma would be a mistake though. He should at least get one more year.

UFAs coming into this offseason:
Iginla
Morrow
Cooke
Dupuis
Adams
Murray
Eaton

RFAs:
TK Money
Jeffrey
Bortuzzo

Salary cap is going down next year.

Iginla, Morrow, and Murray are gone. Good riddance. TK will probably go.

Hope to get Dupuis, Cooke, and Adams back. Bortuzzo has potential. I'm over Jeffrey. I like Eaton... I think.

Fuck.

Just. Fuck. Or something like it.

"The duty of the comedian is to find out where the line is drawn, and cross it deliberately."-George Carlin
Merman1983
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Jun 08, 2013 at 17:20 »

I'm definitely disappointed, but it's not 1994 AFC Championship bad.  I went in knowing that this team had it's flaws (namely only 2 maybe 3 top 4 caliber defenseman) and I knew they would struggle against a Boston's size.  I'm floored that they got swept, but not shocked they lost the series.

That said a few very obvious personel moves could have made a huge difference.  Anyone who watched this team all year knows they fucked up not playing Bennett and Depres in EVERY game.  The good news is they'll be so cap strapped next year they are going to be forced to play them.  Of course, even when they did play, Bylsma did stupid shit like play Bennett for 10 minutes total in a 80+ minute hockey game. 

Hindsight is 20/20, but I think all of us hated the Morrow move and didn't see the point of the Murray move.  Iginla was a big disappointment for me as well but I'm glad they took a chance on him as I believe it was worth the risk.  Although it looks like it may have been a better idea not to make any moves and roll with what they had (or put it all into getting another top 4).

scballersc

Saw Ben on Halloween (pre-Milledgeville)

« Reply #15 on: Jun 08, 2013 at 19:17 »

I'm definitely disappointed, but it's not 1994 AFC Championship bad. 

Definitely not that bad, but made much worse bythe fact that the Pirates are again masquerading as a contender and the Steelers are sure to book-end this Pens mess with another disappointing season.  Byslma made some mistakes and is encroaching on Mike Tomlin territory, i.e. we are soon to be 5 years out from the last championship and you haven't impressed me much since.
Merman1983
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Jun 08, 2013 at 19:34 »

Definitely not that bad, but made much worse bythe fact that the Pirates are again masquerading as a contender and the Steelers are sure to book-end this Pens mess with another disappointing season.  Byslma made some mistakes and is encroaching on Mike Tomlin territory, i.e. we are soon to be 5 years out from the last championship and you haven't impressed me much since.

Yeah it's becoming a trend with both.  I question Bylsma's system in a playoff series.  I like the guy but he's stubborn as fuck with playing young players too (I mean, Tanner Glass over Bennett all year? Really?), which may be a bigger problem.  Still shocked he switched and stuck with Vokoun.  Who by the way played great all postseason.

I am on the fire Bylsma bandwagon.  just think it's time for a change.  The talent is here for at least next year before we have to start thinking about major free-agent decisions.
whitmer_87
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #17 on: Jun 09, 2013 at 12:53 »

I am on the fire Bylsma bandwagon.  just think it's time for a change.  The talent is here for at least next year before we have to start thinking about major free-agent decisions.
[/quote]

I disagree. Bylsma has done a great job with this team if you consider all the shit this team has been through over the last 3 years. Crosby, Malkin, and Letang missing significant time. This year you had the lockout-shortened season, and Crosby still missed 12 games. I'd like to see him get a chance to coach this team a whole 82 game season without Crosby and Malkin having major injuries.

I understand the logic of not playing young players in the playoffs. Despres should have played more though. Engellend was seemingly on the ice for every damn goal. Dude couldn't get out of his own way.

I can justify Glass playing over Bennett most of the season. Glass is a career 4th liner. I'm not sure Bennett gains much playing on the 4th line. He's a top six prospect. So I think bringing him up sparingly to play with Geno was better than throwing the guy on the checking line for the sake of him getting more ice time. When Shero brought in Iginila, you knew he was going to play on the 2nd line with Geno and Neal. And you knew Morrow was going to play on the 3rd line with Sutter and Cooke. So I'm not sure Bennett's skill set would be utilized properly on the 4th line.

"The duty of the comedian is to find out where the line is drawn, and cross it deliberately."-George Carlin
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #18 on: Jun 09, 2013 at 20:10 »

Man, fuck it.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Merman1983
Old School Member

« Reply #19 on: Jun 10, 2013 at 18:50 »

Um Bennett played very well in a fourth line role during the regular season.  Skill is a welcome addition to the fourth line especially in the Stanley cup playoffs.  In 2009, the pens 4th line was Adams-Satan-Dupuis and that line scored alot of big goals in the postseason.  Not to mention Bennett could have seen power play time, played with the top 2 lines when someone needed a rest, etc.  No justification to not put your best team out there because of some notion of grit or veteranosity or whatever.

Also, Tanner Glass was the worst forward in the league last year.  he shouldn't have been playing over anyone, ever. Worst 1.1 million ever fucking spent in the NHL.

On another note Byslma admits in his post-loss/post-season press conference that Bennett is a top 6 forward and Depres is a top 4 defenseman.  Why weren't they playing then?  
« Last Edit: Jun 10, 2013 at 18:54 by Merman1983 » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: