Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 23, 2014 at 21:11 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 ... 5  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Pittsburgh Pirates  (Read 6799 times)
scballersc

Saw Ben on Halloween (pre-Milledgeville)

« on: Jun 27, 2013 at 07:00 »

...have best record in Major League Baseball.  First time since 1992 I do believe.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Jun 27, 2013 at 12:40 »

I'm glad someone else started the thread this year.  Was afraid that my annual hopefulness was a precipitator of demise.

But yeah.  I love this team.  I also agree with sending Cole down for a couple of weeks; in the past I would have argued that it was a sure sign of tightwad management, but when Wandy and AJ get back, the kid could use a few more starts in Indy to work on his secondary stuff. 

A shabby Charlie Brown.
scballersc

Saw Ben on Halloween (pre-Milledgeville)

« Reply #2 on: Jun 28, 2013 at 20:45 »

I'm glad someone else started the thread this year.  Was afraid that my annual hopefulness was a precipitator of demise. 

Well I was 8 the last time this franchise had any success so that cannot bode well.  Aside from that, this team goes as Pedro alvarez goes (which should be that surprising).
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Jun 28, 2013 at 21:44 »

After tonight I have changed my stance on Cole.  Yeah, maybe he's not locating the curve or changing speeds enough yet but the fact is the guy is an MLB pitcher.  He was horrible in the first and then was excellent thereafter.  Not to say unhittable; he had a jam or two, but when he was in trouble, he'd throw a 100 mph peanut over the inside black.  Just can't send him down, even if means DFA'ing Morton.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
DrRockit
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #4 on: Jun 29, 2013 at 08:17 »

I was just about to post a pirates thread myself.  It's encouraging that we've done this with a luke-warm Cutch and a slumpish Walker.  Martin behind the plate and at bat is the biggest upgrade over last year imo.  Even with an off month, Marte has been impressive.  I'd forgotten what it was like to have a real leadoff hitter.

Barmes has no place on a successful team.  He and Barajas were like having 2 extra pitchers in your batting order.

Does anyone know how long Cole would have to be down for?  I think I heard it only needs to be 10 days or so.  If that's the case, I'd do it.  Longer and it becomes questionable.  Just don't hurt the team. I loved how he pulled it together after the first inning last night.  The kid has serious stuff. He can throw a 95mph fastball for a low strike.  If he develops his off speed and breaking stuff he'll be brutal.

I thought the Lincoln for Snyder trade was a horrible mistake, but I like what I've seen from Snyder.  I certainly don't cringe when he comes up to bat, late in the game, with runners on base.  I have the feeling he can develop into a Garret Jones type: a solid, if unspectacular, major league ball player.  I'm not even sure if Lincoln is in the major leagues atm.

I don't like Greg Browns grilled cheese schtick for Grilli at all.  Grilled cheese is what 3rd graders eat for lunch.  Much better would be something like "it's time to fire up the Grill."  This is what men do when they want to bring the heat.

Sadly, I think Jmac is done.  Maybe he's a head case, I don't know.  Thankfully there are more positive things to focus on with this team right now.

pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Jun 30, 2013 at 00:31 »

I'd forgotten what it was like to have a real leadoff hitter.

You'll remember as soon as we actually get one.  Marte should be hitting in the 3 hole.

Does anyone know how long Cole would have to be down for?  I think I heard it only needs to be 10 days or so.  If that's the case, I'd do it.

Yeah, it's like 2 weeks from what I've heard.  Send him down now and bring him up again right after the break.  Now or never. 

but I like what I've seen from Snyder. 

Really?  I think he sucks.  No power, no field, nothing I can see or have seen.  RF seems to me the one place the Pirates can reasonably afford to upgrade.

I don't like Greg Browns grilled cheese schtick for Grilli at all. 

Greg Brown makes Lanny Frattare look like Bob Prince.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
DrRockit
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #6 on: Jun 30, 2013 at 14:24 »

I agree we could do better in RF, but Snyder doesn't bug me the way Barmes does.  Sanchez is the one guy still playing who really hasn't shown me squat.

otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Jul 03, 2013 at 12:38 »

pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Jul 03, 2013 at 12:47 »

Sanchez is the one guy still playing who really hasn't shown me squat.

His OPS versus lefties is 1+, so there's that.

Off topic... did you see the Golovkin-Macklin fight yet?  Unbelieveable knockout.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
DrRockit
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #9 on: Jul 04, 2013 at 03:24 »

I didn't see it.  But I'll DL it tomorrow and check it out.

What's up with Grilli?  He hasn't looked good since he blew his first save. 

I have to say that it's nice that my biggest concern at the moment is the quality of our bench.

I do think Wandy is screwed for this season, though, which is a real shame.  Once they start injecting you with anything, it's gonna be awhile.
Pages: [1] 2 ... 5  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: